Straw Logs. . .My Latest Project, w/pix Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Misc Teks & Questions » Straw Logs. . .My Latest Project, w/pix « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
2nd flush cased straw logsnillanilla26 2 07-04-03  06:22 pm
Archive through April 27, 2003rodger rabbitd127 1 04-27-03  07:55 pm
Archive through May 23, 2003dJojoBaFruiT10 1 05-23-03  03:11 pm
straw logs-- the tekrodger rabbitHippie339 1 07-30-03  06:18 pm
Spinoff on log tek., Check this out. Sock tube brick logs. ShroomzhillaHippie349 2 05-03-04  10:56 am
Food saver straw logshobimono Hippie3 13 1 12-02-04  02:22 pm

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 10:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is the tek in the archive yet..??
yes, it is.

JojoBaFruiT (Jojobafruit)
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 02:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i might be tarded but i cant find rodger's tek.. could i get a link? jojoba

JojoBaFruiT (Jojobafruit)
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 02:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found it. :)

neütralizer (Neutralizer)
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 02:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome! I know this is pretty late (as well as my first post) but I thought I could suggest a thing or two.

What if during construction of the log you put a hollow pvc pipe through the log, leaving a couple of inches poking out of either side. Let it colonize. When it is colonized/able to grab really well onto the pipe, run a string/rope through the pvc pipe, and tie it off at the bottom in a knot that's big enough to not go back through the tube. Suspend from ceiling. As long as the log holds onto the pvc pipe, it is suspended. An alternative is to make the bottom end of the tube be flush with the bottom of the log; then when it's colonized, put a board (or plastic, or some other flat platform) on the bottom of the log, and put the rope through that and tie it. The log now has a platform to rest upon.

Also, you could add another platform on the top of the log that is wider than the log by at least a few inches, and then drape one of the bags you get from the dry-cleaner's over it. That way you preserve humidity and can get totally rid of the original plastic tubing. To harvest, simply lift up the dry cleaner bag and pick away!

Hope this helps

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 10:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been there and tried that in several forms. Contam'd every time. The trich will drop into the 'well' and the lack of air exchange deep inside will let the trich take over. Also, it helps after birthing if the plastic is actually in contact with the log. The plastic becomes the 'casing' and stimulates pinning.

Mr Kelly (Mrkelly)
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 02:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the best strain to use for the straw Log? And were to get that particular strain.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 03:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's no such thing as the 'best strain' for any tek.
so that's the first thing to understand, there's very little difference between most of the strains as there are all the exact same species.
on our sponsors page, linked at top of each page, you'll find several good sources for spores of all kinds.

Spediriko (Shrizoomer)
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 02:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have my logs in the vertical position right now, I can't see any contams so far >(pounding on wooden door). In rodgers tek it didnt say how much straw to use, so my first log came out at 2 feet (spawned with Plantasia Mystery), the second came out to the correct 3 feet after adding what I thought was too much straw to the pasturization bath (spawned with Penis Envy). Funny thing, both logs were spawned with 5 qts of corn and the 3 footer seems to be colonizing faster than the other. Those Penis Envies really wanna colonize. One thing I did notice that the top of the log was the first to colonize but the bottom is moving along slowly. How will I recognize trich if it does occur since if it does it will be at the bottom of the log?
Thanks,
your friendly neighborhood shoomer

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 03:30 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why not roll the log over periodically ?

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 03:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penis Envy rocks...Very fast colonizer. Be sure you poked some holes in the bottom of the log to let the excess moisture out. That's the only reason I can see where the bottom was slower than the top. You want the straw wet, but not swimming.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 12:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yours dropping any spores ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: