Kombucha fungus + medicinal benefits Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Kombucha fungus + medicinal benefits Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

lyqwyd (Lyqwyd44)
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 04:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any one here heard of Kombucha? heres a link with some info http://www.gnosticgarden.com/kombucha.shtml
it has to be pretty easy to grow since u can just throw a colony into tea and it will grow another colony... hrm... and does ne1 have spores of it? i dont feel like paying $13.50 for 1 colony

cowshitblues (Cowshitblues)
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 05:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom used too grow that stuff alot..shed take off a small layer and put it in a big bowl with apple vinegar and other stuff and it would re grow, cool looking stuff,, nasty as hell...but good for you

lyqwyd (Lyqwyd44)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 01:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does ur mom have any left by any chance? or do u know what type of area it grows wild in? I need all the health benefits i can get the way i treat my body... =D

Soliver (Soliver)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 01:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems I remember reading an article about that stuff
years ago, that it was a breeding ground for all kinds of
nasty stuff - but that may have been an article written
by the FDA or something - you never know. Either way,
I'd do some serious research before growing and eating your own mold colonies.

(growing and eating fungus colonies is AOK!)

Sol

not *really* a Jedi (Mycofile)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 03:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, no, that wasn't propaghanda, that was truth. And you won't likely find a natural source of it. kambucha is a strange amalgamation of many different species of yeast, bacteria, fungi all growing in a symbiotic mass. I read a good piece on it that was written by a well known mycologist (don't remember who, may have even be stamets) where he was trying to convince some high dollar medical researchers to investigate it. When he couldn't pin down which species it was that was producing the effect, things got nasty and they even threatened to sue him for millions of dollars in damages for wasting their time!

Kambucha is a strange thing, and who knows what may be in whatever culture you get your hands on? And I know its supposedly been done for thousands of years and whatnot, but I can't imagine liquid culture of unsterile bio-mass in an unsterile liquid for human consumption. Just goes too strong against my instincts of mycology and self-preservation.

You know how the saying goes about old mycologists and bold mycologists , but no old/bold mycologists

Elizabeth Windsor (Firebrix)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 08:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was a health trend in New Zealand a while back, but due to contamination from other pathogens many people got only a little sicker rather than better. It looks like a huge shroom growing in tea, tastes a little like vinegar, and honestly, I wonder at purity as these things get handled by all kinds of people - the cat slipped thru the window and landed in the one my friend grew, but she still drank it and insisted on giving it to her friends. Mine made good compost as I am cautious about such antics (strangely enough!)
I have heard that it comes from Russia and Asia but still don't really know. Don't even really know what it is. Maybe there are more health benefits from other shrooms?
Use with caution IMHO
Love this site!
Thanx guys and happy daze
firbrix

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 05:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did a search on Kombucha/Kambucha and got several hits
http://www.google.com/search?q=Kombucha
http://www.google.com/search?q=Kambucha
Hope this helps :)

not *really* a Jedi (Mycofile)
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 07:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from one of those links
"There are many names for Kombucha, both common and scientific; however, there seems to be little agreement among consumers as to what to officially call it. The colony is composed of yeasts (which are fungi) and bacteria."

So, it's not a pure culture at all. It's a hodgepodge, or by definition, a contaminated culture....

and more notably
"Some say you can wash the mold off the Kombucha with vinegar, but I would advise that for safety's sake you throw out this batch of fermented tea as well as the Kombucha colony and start again with another Kombucha. Always add a 10% solution of ready fermented Kombucha Tea to each new batch you start. This is done to acidify the fermenting solution at the very start--to deter mold growth."

That last line. "to acidify the fermenting solution.... to deter mold growth" seems blatantly incorrect to me. We all know that many of the molds commonly found in the home actually prefer acidic environments, hence lime pasteurization (which lowers the acidity).

It's this type of thing that has scared me away from kambucha since I was first intrigued by it. Now, if Fungi Perfecti were to sell kambucha colonies and instructions, I might feel more secure.....

cowshitblues (Cowshitblues)
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 03:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you don't eat it...it is supposed too release all the nutrients into the tea made up of cider vinegar, i think...thats what i remember...???

lyqwyd (Lyqwyd44)
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 12:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnostic garden sells them... they are a pretty reputable source.... does an acid solution have any effect on yeasts or bacteria? such as slowing/promoting bacterial growth. I dont think anybody has done ANY research on this at all, ive checked around a bit too... all i get from searches is how to make the tea. gnostic garden attributes a large and specific list of healt benefits from a survey of 100 users. Also FireBrix, if you've tried it what does it taste like? prolly shit rite? coz vinegar definetly doesnt taste good.

lurker (Lurker)
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 10:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the taste. I don't know if it still around, but there used to be a commercially bottled Kombucha tea called Oocha brew. I knew a place that had it on tap for awhile!

lurker (Lurker)
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 01:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's something I found about Kombucha:

A literature review of kombucha found no human efficacy studies and a number of case reports of adverse effects, including suspected liver damage, metabolic acidosis and cutaneous anthrax infections, and one death.

Ernst E. Kombucha: a systematic review of the clinical evidence. Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 2003;10(2):85-7.

lyqwyd (Lyqwyd44)
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 06:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh great... well im glad i didnt waste my $$$ on buying any

lurker (Lurker)
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 11:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just as a disclaimer, note that it says that they found no human efficacy studies, that doesn't necessarily mean that there is no efficacy in humans, just that there are no studies about it.

J. Tay (Recombinant)
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 05:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Props to 'lurker' for providing a reference for his statement. If only that were the standard for saying things here...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: