Solving the problem of adhered spores... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Spores, Prints & Syringes Solving the problem of adhered spores in the print jar! Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Organism (Organism)
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 05:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been getting good at making spore syringes from prints taken in sterile, dry 1/2 pint jars.

For the longest time I've been making prints and trying to transfer sterilized water into the print jar and draw up sterile spore solution. Only every time I do this the print does not come off the bottom of the jar. It doesn't even change. Nevertheless, I have had good growth from "invisible" spores in these syringes made.

I know that in PF's original spore print TEK he said to use a glass sturring rod (sterile)through a hole in the top of the jar to knock the spores free. I tried this and did not like the results of big flakes of spores sticking together in my syringes.

What I have been doing now is using a piece of pressure cooked guitar string, The smallest string on the guitar.
I only have one small syringe hole made in my lids to my sterile print jars (to minimize contaminant entry) I inject the amount of sterile water to make however many syringes (ususally 3-4 10cc's at a time) into the print jar then I take that small pressure cooked piece of guitar string and insert it through my syringe hole and scrape the end across the print knockng many spores safley into the water to be drawn up.You can see the little scrape marks in the print afterwards. To do this safley the piece of guitar string must be new, cleaned well with alcohol and then pressure cooked in a glass dish. I use a new pressure cooked section each time I use it to scrape spores.
I pick up and handle the wire with the tweezers I pressure cook along with the wire so its all clean when I go to work!

What I'm happy about most is that I have not lost the original PFC genetic race yet, My newest skills working with spores will help save the organism.

Just thought I'd share my new improved teq with ya'll.

Organism (Organism)
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 05:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to share how I go about getting "for sure" sterile water to use when working with spores or tissue cloning.

I take a 1/2 pint mason jar and clean it well with 99.8% iso-alcohol, then I rinse it with distilled water (not tap), then I fill the jar with distilled water and cover it as tight with a piece of aluminum foil. I then put a band on the jar rtight over the foil lid. It screws right down over the foil. Then place another piece of aluminum foil over that to cover the foil lid. This will protect the foil lid surface from condensation and keep it clean as possible from evaporation residues.

Pressure cook that jar of water for 20 min. let cool to room temp. in the pressure cooker. Remove outer foil cover and you can inject right through the foil lid and draw out your sterile water to use.
I like this method because not only is it clean distilled water, it has also been pressure cooked. Safe as safe baby!

Velvet C. (Applesauce)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 12:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice info. Are you using a glove box at all? And how do you get the cap into your jar to make your print while being contam-free? I guess the foil is a good idea but isn't boiling water sterile enough when sucked into a syringe?

Soliver (Soliver)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 04:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea and good post, organism.

I quit using jars for the same reasons you described above,
but I think I'll go back and try it again...

Currently I use ziploc bags & print right in/on the
bag, then inject sterile PC'd water through the bag
and onto the print - I can work it around with my
fingers this way too. It works well for printing &
immediate syringe making, but I'm gonna try your
guitar string method, as prints will keep for a long
time in a mason jar, if sealed correctly.

Just out of curiosity: do you PC your print jars,
or spray & wipe w/ 70% alcohol? I use the booze
personally . . .

All a grower needs to stay self-sufficient is a good
printing tek and (IMO - for good fruiting) a good
cloning tek.

While it's all been done before, and all these ideas are
probably buried in the archives (except for the guitar string-
I like that!) I think it's important for everyone to
post their good habits so that lazy people get to learn too

Soliver

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 11:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol
any amatuer tattoo artists out there ?
my son is always stealing my guitar strings to use in his tat gun.
a long needle works as well.
nice info, organism.

Shroomzhilla (Shroomzhilla)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 12:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey hip just a side note for your kidif you do a google search for tat equipment you will find a few distributors ofneedles just for tats. huck spaulding is one of if noe THE largest suppliers of equipment. he should look into ordering some needles from there and then sterilizing them at least in a PC and never reuse them for obvious resons beside the fact that they will likely let him tatoo a better line than a guitar string. its another past hobby of mine I plan to take up again once things get settled around here.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 06:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he's a bum, can't afford the good stuff so he makes his own. i don't recommend him.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 06:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back when I owned a Harley Davidson shop, I bought all the stuff to do tats. Only problem was, my art talent sux. I found it doesn't matter what equipment you have, if ya don't have artistic talent, you can't do squat. If you have talent, you could probably inject dye into a bee's ass, and get it to sting a good tattoo.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 12:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep, he's got talent but lacks the discipline necessary to translate it into reality. a pity, too.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: