Spawn bag Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Spawn bag Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

ron (Levler)
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 07:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok heres a question abought grain prepped spawn bags and bulk. After grain is fully run threw does the straw need to be PC? Can the grain just be broken up and put directly on the straw? Now casing can it be a 50 50 mix of verm and peat Or do I need mushroom casing soil? Iv done cakes for over a year and I need more mushrooms at a time.Can the straw be placed in a clear rubbermaid with duct tape on the bottom sides and in the middle of the chamber place a quart jar with h20 and a heater with a air pump going to it for humidity? Will this way of growing give me at least 4 oz's dry first flush? Im in need of more bigger mushrooms, thanks all this site rocks!!!!

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 07:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Straw needs to be pasteurized before spawn is added to it. Once it is pasteurized, the grain is mixed in with the straw.

I would recommend a mixture of verm and coir for the casing layer. I have never heard of mushroom casing soil.

The grow could be done in a rubbermaid container. You would not want to put a quart jar in there though. This would also not be a good way to try a casing for the first time.

Read up on Vision's Basket. This may give you the yeild you desire, and is is fairly simple.

ron (Levler)
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 07:30 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iv done cake casings and I get more from a plain cake. The mushrooms from the casings where bigger but less. Im trying to find a easy way of getting a lot of mushrooms at once. Im pretty good at cakes.I would have to do a lot of cakes to get where I would like to be at. Iv found a place online that sells pasteurized wheat straw and mushroom casing soil (mixture of Canadian sphagnum peat moss, vermiculite, and limestone grit/flour) Thanks for the reply.

Mushroom Zen (Sno)
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 08:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mushroom Compost Works wonderfully. Can buy it at straders garden center for like 3-4$/40lbs. bag.

inexorable (Inexorable)
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 08:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A town I lived in had an Agaricus growing farm. They just used soil for their casing layer. Crazy, huh?

--INEXORABLE--

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 01:34 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pasteurize straw only. Folks who PC it report either that it contams, or has very few fruits, if any. PC'ing will kill all the benificial microorganisms needed for a monster flush. I've had the best luck leaving straw uncased, covered with a layer of punched plastic loosely over the top to hold in humidity.

ron (Levler)
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 02:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good, so just place the straw in my rumbermaid and shake the bag of grain over the straw? For hummity can I take a quart mason jar w/ a plastic lid with 2 air hoses going in the water and have one coming out to the chamber (above the water at the top of the lid using plumbers putty for all hoses)?I have a bio-filter on the lid and a hole drild in the top for the hose, using for cakes right now w/ the quart jar in middle under bio-filter.. Thanks all!

ron (Levler)
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 02:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ment I have the bio-filter on the rubermaid lid.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: