Liberty Cap specs, pics and grow seas... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Liberty Cap specs, pics and grow seasons by location. (anyone have this info) Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Liberty CapsHippie3Hippie31 1 04-04-04  04:58 pm
Liberty cap [pic]Hippie3 Hippie3 1 1 06-23-04  12:27 pm
Liberty caps? Two pics.PskovinskyHippie311 1 04-04-04  05:03 pm

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Gyva (Gyva)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 12:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just checked through the archives no luck, and tried my search engine and I get a few pics and stuff, but not enough info to go out into the field and pick and eat these little guys. I need to know if there are poison look a likes and all that good stuff. I live in Idaho so are these little brown guys I'm seeing in the grassy fields liberty caps? are there any look a likes with the nipple on top? To many questions I know but I don't want to go to the hospital or send a friend there.

Gyva...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 12:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

join a local mycology society and learn the basics, there are also some decent field guides [books] out there but they are no substitute for hands-on training.

Gyva (Gyva)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 12:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or next best, can someone post an informal link.

lol Gyva...

Mjshroomer (Mjshroomer)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 02:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come back in a day or so and I will post a paper by steven pollock on the etiology of Psilocybe semilanceata.

Okahy. P. pelliculosa grows in clear-cuts in Idaho int he fall before the freeze. October Novermber etc.

, I suppose liberty caps are in Idaho.

mj

Lights (Bright)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 03:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is always a good place to start
Erowid Mushroom Vault

I know for a fact they grow in my area which is Western Washington.

BL

Gyva (Gyva)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 10:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. are there any (Poison or fakes out) look a likes with the nipple on top

2. I live in Idaho so are these little brown guys I'm seeing in the grassy fields liberty caps(Since its June)?

prob the 2 most important ?'s to get answers to.

Thanks people I know someone here has this knowledge in their head.

Gyva...

Lights (Bright)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 10:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably not in June, but maybe. The key if you are looking for Liberty caps for the first time, is that they WILL stain blue. Also, look for a purple/black spore print. If in doubt, don't eat them. Also, you can always take them to your local university to the mycology lab and have them identified. I went to UW the first time I found P. Cyanescens growing around here to be sure, and they were happy to tell me what they were.

Gyva (Gyva)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 10:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the helpful information. does anybody have a good big picture of one, and the underside of the gills

Gyva...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 12:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can't really depend on that 'nipple',
sometimes it's there, sometimes not.
i've never heard that liberty caps grow in idaho but i guess it's possible if mj says so.
but there are 'look-alikes' out there that can ruin your day or maybe your life so be careful.

Gyva (Gyva)
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 04:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks everyone, I guess I'll search the library for further infromation, is liberty cap it's scientific name? prob not, anyone know it by chance?

Gyva...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 01:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psilocybe semilanceata
btw, i found several threads on libs with a keyword search for "liberty cap".

Mjshroomer (Mjshroomer)
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 06:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT means psilo (naked) cybe (head) or bald head and semi (half)- lanceata (speared).

Here is Steven Pollock;s paper on the liberty cap, with some notes following the paper.

pollocklibertycap445

pollocklibertycap446

pollocklibertycap447

mjshroomer

Mjshroomer (Mjshroomer)
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 06:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THe only fault here is that Pollock notes that P. pelliculosa is also referred to as a 'liberty cap'.

It was Guzmán who first suggested that P. pelliculosa was also known as a 'liberty cap'. I find that at fault. P. pelliculosa are sometimes referred to as 'woodland caps' 'elves stools' and/or even 'fairy stools'.

And it was Rich Gee and Murphy Stevens in their book How to Identify and Grow Psilocybine mushrooms where they showed several photos of 'liberty caps' and mis-labeled them as P. pelliculosa.

Yet those two mushrooms are macroscopically similar but still different enough to notice the difference between the two species.

At the time of this paper there was a lot of confusion in species identification.

Mj.

Otherwise this paper is pretty good info for this period in their history.
mj

njoy

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 07:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Gyva (Gyva)
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 02:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone here is so nice! I really apreciate all the responses. and hip I tried that liberty cap search too but all I found was crap, no informal information. But I'll keep searching, maybe if I can find a good pic (or someone else finds on first) we could throw that in the archive as well.... well wish me luck, as a pic is proving hard to find on my search engine.

Gyva...

Gyva (Gyva)
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 05:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

will do, thank you.

Gyva

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: