Light Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Light Light Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Simon Smith (Thog)
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 06:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

My friend has a small setup and she wanted to know how much light is actually needed for optimal growth.

Would it work to put the lights on a timer so they are on for 1 or 2 hours every 6 hours or should there be more light.

The reason is that the lights take away from the humidity and create a lot of heat when they are on 24/7... To make less head I need the lights on less I'm guessing but I still want light so they start to pin...

Anyways hope you understand my question and I can get a little help!

Thanks,
Thog

inexorable (Inexorable)
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 07:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amount of light isn't as important as type of light. Really, just 15 min. a day should induce pinning. What I jus discovered was that when I changed from using an 'aqua-gro' and a 'sun-gro' type bulbs together to using a 'gro-lux' my most recent casings have EXPLODED with pins. Most types of light will get them pinning, but evidently, wavelengths in the blue really get things growing.

--inex.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 09:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't be too hasty in drawing conclusions like that, odds are pretty high that the light is not why your casing is pinning well. your skill is proly much more important than the light.
ANY light for even just a few seconds duration on a regular basis [daily] will trigger pinning.
more does help the shrooms grow straight up instead of any old direction, but light has no other effect than that.
just don't use blacklights.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 11:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The light doesn't need to be close enough to the trays to cause heat. A flourescent light on the ceiling of the room is more than enough. 12 hours/day should be considered the max. I tried 24/7 as an experiment, and all the fruits were smaller.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: