New Contest; Paneolus Cyanescens: Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms New Contest; Paneolus Cyanescens: Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 12:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should be fun. . .Let's have a monster straw project contest, and let the members decide with a vote who the winner shall be. Judging will be subjective of course, but should include size, number and quality of fruits, experience level (to give the newbies an equal chance), and of course, the overall WOW! factor. It will be open to all straw teks, so get your laundry baskets, straw logs, or your own creation started! I have a Pesa, Cambodian, and Golden Teacher print for the winner. Hip has said he'll match that for the runner up. Since it takes a few grain to grain transfers to get enough spawn for something like this, a fair cutoff date for the contest would be July 31. That should give everyone enough time, even if they have to order the syringes to get started with. I'd like to see some of the excellent talent over at the shroomery get involved in this contest too. Camaraderie is great. Let's Rock!

Dustin (Dustin)
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 05:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im in!!! Just bought a bale of straw today, 5 pounds of rye, some popcorn, more BRF and verm. Cant wait to see the outcome.
-Dustin

Marvin Martian (Marvinm92)
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 09:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 5 quarts of popcorn colonizing... 60-90% ready... I'll think abouttrying this but I know I'll end up casings it... Straw seems like big jump...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 01:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

marvin,
it's really not that big of a jump,
you'll be pleasantly surprised if you try it.

dave (Brewguru)
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 05:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes marvin i agree with hippie. ive been wanting to go to straw for a long time. the log concept seemed perfect mainly because its so low maintenance. i've got 2 cranking. 12 x 24 and 12 x 30. the one i thought was contam is doing ok. the color i was seeing must have been bruised rye kernels from breaking the jars apart. im hoping to have fruit for the 4th of july.

dave (Brewguru)
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 05:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes marvin i agree with hippie. ive been wanting to go to straw for a long time. the log concept seemed perfect mainly because its so low maintenance. i've got 2 cranking. 12 x 24 and 12 x 30. the one i thought was contam is doing ok. the color i was seeing must have been bruised rye kernels from breaking the jars apart. im hoping to have fruit for the 4th of july.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 01:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump.

subterra (Subterra)
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 09:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I'll give it a go if someone will come off a few feet of that poly-tubing. I already have a lifetime's supply of so many myco-supplies, I don't need a thousand feet of this, too.! lol

-subterra

p.s.- ooh, maybe I can stuff 900 feet of it with all this leftover polyfill!? ;)

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 03:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fungi.com sells tubing in 20' lengths. Don't go over 12" diameter or the core will go anerobic on you.

ClosetMonger (Closetmonger)
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 05:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The legendary Roger Rabbit!! My hat off to you sir. I've studied your work with logs and neglect teks and have been working at taking the log to the next step, "the tree", (All in theory of course.)and this contest seems like a nice place to unveil it.

Do I need to do anything special to enter?

Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 06:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you just did

Mushroom Zen (Sno)
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 04:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oooh! Oooh! Can I join?!

Jumpy

Spediriko (Shrizoomer)
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 09:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Closetmonger, I think you and I have the same idea going. I'm using a piece of PVC pipe in the center of my logs and letting them sit on the floor but supporting them with rope at the top so they don't fall over. Hopefully if I get a digi I'll be able to post my setup. I think its pretty cool...for a complete amature at this.

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 02:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raise the rope up and let them sit on a table. 90% of all contams in a room are within 1' of the floor.

ClosetMonger (Closetmonger)
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 01:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My idea doesn't hang and doesn't use PVC either. I'll post some simulated pics in a new thread and maybe someone can make it work better than me. I heard of one coming along nice and another about to start with a slightly modified thought.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 01:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

time's about up,
where are the entries ???

Industrial Love (Machine)
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 02:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to enter. I started work on my first attempt at straw yesterday.

Zap (Zap)
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 03:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well.. time to load up PhotoShop.... just kidding :)

Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 07:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump
Where ARE the entries? Do we need more time?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 11:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

apparently.
but it's your call.

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 08:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you guys going to extend this? I just found out some superb news... My Pan Cyan is starting a flush! . There's little tiny mushies pinning all over, but it's going to need a few days to mature.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, time is out.
rodger can start a new one if he chooses.

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 02:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see no entries at all

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 02:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that does seem to be the case.

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 03:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then I win by default

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 03:30 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol
your entry fails to meet the criteria specified,
and it's now past the cut-off date so don't expect much.

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 04:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Closet said:
By ClosetMonger (Closetmonger) on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 05:41 pm:

The legendary Roger Rabbit!! My hat off to you sir. I've studied your work with logs and neglect teks and have been working at taking the log to the next step, "the tree", (All in theory of course.)and this contest seems like a nice place to unveil it.

Do I need to do anything special to enter?
-----------------------------------
And Rodger said:
By rodger rabbit (Skyypilot) on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 06:21 pm:

you just did
-------------------------------------

So it looks to me like Rodger accepted Closet's entry.

Now there were supposed to be pics and the members were
supposed to vote on the winner.
So, I don't know if Closet can qualify for a full prize
:)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 01:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good catch.
closetmonger did enter,
his entry is now in the archives here-
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/28300.html?.
he did include pix, etc.
green mold got his project before it could fruit, unfortunately.
never-the-less,
closetmonger appears to have a valid entry,
the only one i'm aware of,
so by default he would be the only winner.
but we need rodger's input on this,
it was his contest, afterall.
but i'm willing to send closetmonger what i offered.

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 01:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got back from a week long camping trip in the mountains. Gotta check the threads. Somebody posted pix of a bunch of small logs fruiting. Who was that? I forgot. Trich is easy to grow, mushies a bit 'harder'. I would like to see a winner with a successful grow. We've all had lots of failures, but it seems a contest winner should should have a log full of fruit. Sol's outdoor buried log comes to mind also.

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 08:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But but... I did post previous pics . my post (Rodger commented even )

I think that it should count somewhat that I "Tried" to make the deadline and didn't get contamed out.

The 2 mini logs here were made using Rodger's TEK methods, but rather than punching holes in the bag, I used a 50/50 dung compost/vermiculite mixed in with the straw to absorb the moisture. (That, and the species requires dung) And then I added an Inner Res after casing.

Paneolus Cyanescens:

I realize the only "Wow" factor I have at this point are my variations to the TEK itself, and that Pan Cyans are supposed to be harder to grow. Dont' forget I'm a noob... This is my first bulk TEK attempt, and my first mushroom ever grown fruited mid July 2003.

Will post more pics when the fruits are ready to pick.

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 06:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12 hours later:

Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 12:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let the voting begin!

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 01:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cozmic man Cozmic!

Roc

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 01:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hehe, thanks Roc, but I'm still trying to get an okay from Rodger that my entry is valid. My log isn't fully flushed out yet, but did start fruiting on the 31st (the deadline day). I'm just happy that it's finally growing, and now that it is, it seems to be doubling in size every 12 hours lol.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 02:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, here's my 2 cents.
it does appear that cozmic has a valid entry.
as does closetmonger.
but neither got theirs to fruit in time.
[cozmic just barely missed the dead-line for posting any proof of fruiting,
a dead-line that rodger technically never officially extended.]
so that should count equally against both.
or be set aside completely as a factor,
and instead judge by the other factors.
in that case,
i'd have to vote for closetmonger on several points.
for one thing,
closetmonger's thread is an actual straw tek,
with good detailed pix on how-to-do-it.
next,
the first factor rodger gave in this contest was size.
this is the 'mother of all logs' contest, right ?
cozmic's mini-log comes in 2nd on that criteria.

so i'd have to vote for closetmonger still.
but frankly, my real opinion is that this 'contest' is a bit of a mess,
what with the rules changing mid-stream, etc.
things got a bit unclear at the end.
so my suggestion is to call it a tie,
send each some spores and make everybody happy.

Blodwen_1 (Blodwen_1)
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 02:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I was just thinking about this the last night. There aren't enough pics and chit chat about the Pans. I really like you're idea for a few reasons. If pans truly are more potent than one could have the same yields but way more psilocybin.

I hope you'll post more about you're techniques, and the difficulties, along with you're opinion after sampling the final product.

This to me seems like one giant leap for someone who labels themselves a "noob", impressive.
More please.

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 04:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tie sounds good to me... what do ya think Roger?

Roc

Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 05:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm also a bit disappointed, in that I had visions of huge logs with many lbs of mushies all over them. My own entry was a full size scarecrow complete with arms, legs and head with straw hat. Damn thing got the trich and I had to throw it out. It was 3/4 bale of straw, and 30 quarts of grain spawn. That is the size 'logs' I was looking for. But, since we have to judge on the entries, it looks like a tie. No biggie, I have lots of prints. Coz and Closet, send me a safe address and I'll send you each three prints. skyypilot at ziplip dot com

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 05:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hehe, fair enough Blodwin. I actually have scattered threads of my progress posted around the board. But in the spirit of the contest itself, I will recompile all the pics and and the process here.

I have been very impressed with the Paneolus Cyanescens (Australia strain) so far. It is a very fast and aggressive colonizer.
Original link
Day 7 from multispore innoculation (spore syringe)
Day 12 from innoculation

Preparation of the substrate:
As you can see, I had quite a few jars of this colonizing. I decided to use the recipe that's posted on Mush Mush for the ones that were done first. The recipe blows (in my opinion)... The substrate was very wet, and actually contamed later while it was colonizing. Original Thread. Because the first bags were so wet, I decided to follow Rodger Rabbit's Straw Log TEK instead. Straw Log TEK
Eyeball out how much straw you think you will need (It's best to overestimate a little), and then cut it up into small pieces in a bin. Then let it soak in water for about 8 hours.

When the straw is done soaking, fill a 2nd bin with part hot tap water (I used 3 gallons) and part boiling water (I used 4 gallons), which isn't exactly how RR's TEK is word for word, but it was just right for what I needed. Then mix in half a cup of lime, and then transfer the soaked straw into the pasturization bath. Leave it in the bath to pasturize for 90 min.

While the straw was bathing, I took a glass baking pan and mixed 50/50 dung based compost and vermiculite. I put into the oven on the lowest temp to cook for an hour. Then while the 50/50 mix was cooling, at 90 min. I took the straw out of the pasturization bath to drain.

When the straw and 50/50 mix cooled off, I mixed them together and fluffed it up like you do when making BRF mix. Then I added the colonized popcorn to the whole mix, and fluffed it up some more... No pictures are available for some parts because I was trying to limit exposure time of the substrate to open air.

Following RR's log TEK, I crammed the substrate mix into 2 filter patch bags (since I didn't have any polytubing available). Then sealed them up and let them colonize. Although I don't have a pic of the actual bag used, the fully colonized bag looked something like this one.

Once the bags were colonized, I moved them to the terrarium to case and added an Inner Res. Original Thread

And here's what it looks like now. The growth rates on the fruits of this species is insane... Propotionally I mean. I realize that they are tiny ass mushrooms, but the fact they double in size every 12 hours is great!

Hip... In all fairness, I agree that I didn't formally post as an entry with all pics and history in detail (as Blodwin pointed out)... In all reality, I didn't think the log would start fruiting on the last day of the month . If life was as we all would have it, we could will our substrates into fruiting lol... But usually we are just subject to waiting until IT wants to. So, in appreciation of your guys' recognition of my work as an entry, I have done my best to lay out a history of my progress in one single thread.... Make it formal so to speak.

Rodger... Sorry the contest led to be a disappointment to you. And especially that your own project got contamed. I would have loved to see that one. In the spirit of your original posting of your ABSOLUTELY AWESOME TEK, you mentioned that you wanted everyone to give it a try (probably what led to the contest to begin with), and that you also wanted people to improv on your research and work. Hopefully I have done that for you today. Your process of how the TEK was done led me to be successful in my own work! And not only that, but I displayed the innovation of adding a 50/50 mix to the substrate itself, a vermiculite casing to the end product, and (what you responded to in my other thread about adding a drinking straw to your casings) I have displayed the use of an Inner Res TEK to the project as well. And!... They all worked! . In the contest description itself, you stated that factors of quality and experience level were considerations to be looked at... And that it was open to all straw based TEKs. So, hopefully I haven't let you down! Thanks again for your awesome examples, and helping us newbies learn some fun new stuff.

Oh, one more thing. I realize that Pan Cyans were probably a bad choice of entry here on my part... since the actual fruits are so damn tiny. A larger fruiting strain would have produced some good eye candy. But I also wanted to bring something new around to the site. There isn't much about Pan Cyans in threads on the site, and figured it might be nice for people to see them.
~Coz

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 04:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I can't help myself... Another update

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 01:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very nice, cozmic
archive material

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: