???detailed version of the popcorn te... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food PopCorn ???detailed version of the popcorn tek???? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Lets Eat Some Popcorn!George W.Hippie343 4 02-13-03  01:19 pm
Equador flush.....FarmerWopfahtphish13 1 05-29-03  06:59 am
Colonization problems and thensome.Blodwen_1new_shroomin_guynyc11 1 06-05-03  07:09 am
Source of Cheap Grow Chambers 2-Tier & 4-TierRocHippie310 1 06-07-03  12:56 pm
1st try with mushrooms on popcorn....reddish contamwho caresrodger rabbit8 1 06-09-03  11:08 pm
Popcorn without a pressure cookerfloHippie310 1 06-14-03  08:30 pm
Any point to dunking popcorn?PissyBeePissyBee11 1 06-10-03  02:56 pm
Popcorn questiontwentyeyesHippie313 1 06-14-03  10:22 am
Lime questiondaverodger rabbit24 1 06-06-03  06:53 pm
Simple Popcorn Teknew_shroomin_guynycAdmin17 1 12-27-03  01:08 am
Popcorn & TyvekSimon SmithHippie34 1 06-11-03  11:53 am
Spawning with popcorn ; pointers or corrections?MartaxusMartaxus4 1 06-03-03  08:04 pm
Rye vs popcorndaveMushroom Zen18 1 06-03-03  10:17 am
How long from casing popcorn to first shroom's help hippie..anyone!...pooongo puzzie la noHippie36 1 06-07-03  09:54 pm
Corn WarsClosetMongerClosetMonger26 1 06-18-03  02:37 pm
What if pocorn soaks 48 hoiurs?jimjimfaht16 1 12-16-03  05:47 pm

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

DONNY B (Blueboy)
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 07:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait before you even tell me to search for a tek, i allready did, cant find anything, so with that in mind, i was wundering if any of my fellow mycotopians know about a detailed version of the popcorn tek

thanks

db

inexorable (Inexorable)
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 07:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!!It really ISN'T there, anymore!!(damb crash)..

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 07:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look Here: Popcorn.

Another good place to look for info is the Archives.

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 07:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah....I can't find the popcorn section in the archives anymore either.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 12:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bummer.
not much to it anyway,
we'll build another in the archives.

Mike (Quester)
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 01:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a copy of it on my hd if you would like me to post it.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 03:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that would be great, thx.

Mike (Quester)
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 01:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a copy I saved from an earlier post, I think it has already been covered but I will post it anyways.

Materials needed:
Jars (choose your size)
Water
Yellow Popcorn (you can use other kinds of popcorn)
Pressure Cooker (12psi and above)
Tyvek
Aluminum Foil
Tape

1. Measure out 1/3-1/2 jars of dry popcorn that will equal the amount of jars that will be used.

2. Dump dry popcorn on the rack on the bottom of the pressure cooker and add enough water so that the popcorn level is more than doubled.

3. PC for 45 mins on 12psi or 30 mins at 15psi.

4. Drain popcorn well. I let mine sit for a min. of 5 mins.

5. Load the jars up to about 2/3-3/4 of the way. Leaving enough room to shake.

6. Cut out Tyvek squares and place over ther jar. Screw down the ring of the lid (the ring is all that's necessary) over the Tyvek then cover in foil ala PF Tek.

7. PC Jars for 60 mins at 12psi or 15psi

8. Let jars cool to room temperature. In a glovebox lift foil covers and innoculate through the Tyvek. Seal innoculation site with small piece of tape. Repeat till jars are all innoculated. Shake jars well and incubate at about 86 degrees farenheit.

9. After about 30% colonization shake jars well and return to incubation.

10. At 100% colonization case in your choice of casing.

Observations:
The burst popcorn kernals colonize faster than those not burst.
One shake is all that's needed usually.
You can use a towel to aid you in ridding the corn of excess water.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 01:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i edited that slightly, reducing initial pc times, 75 minutes is way over-kill, too many kernels burst, too much starch released. too many failures.

DONNY B (Blueboy)
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 01:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks hippie helps alot im trying to get into casing, but im trying to find which one is the best im pretty consistant with cakes so i dont think i will have too many problems

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 02:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanita_Dreamer
Hop Tsing Chuey

Reged: 03/16/03
Loc: Inside a Two Bedroom Glove-Box!!!!!
Re: POPCORN=35% [Re:kukusz]
#1632352 - 06/13/03 09:58 PM Edit Reply Quote

Here's whats works for my friends if this doesn't work for YOU I do apologize but I have seen very good results with this method.

Water content for my friends have been maximized buy soaking for 12hours in luke warm water then brought to a boil,and finally simmered for 1 hour. At this point most of the kernals are open and crush easily between fingers. This some people will disagree with and say that is too much and the kernals should be left unbroken. In short that the kernal has too much water content.

Then however....A foaf has solved this problem by pressure cooking @20psi (259*f) for 57mins.Instead of the usual 15psi (250*) for 60min.
The increased pressure/temp. cooks off more moisture from the kernals closest to the interior of your their glass jar. So much so that these kernals closest to the edge of the glass look much darker due to the intense heat comming of the glass directly. Immediately after the pressure unlocks itself the jars are immediately rolled to distibute the remaining moisture more or less evenly throught the jar.

This same preperation has been done on WBS with sucsess. The mycellium seems to love it and 27 casings and 125+quarts later no more than acceptable levels of contams......IMHO

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 05:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are several pics that were sent to me anonymously in my e-mail.

The e-mail said that this pic is of hawaiians cased in straight verm. It goes on to say that while it is not the best pinset, the larget of the bunch weighed 16.7 grams.

Hawaiian

There was also another pic included in this message. John Doe said that this was PR cased in straight verm.

PR

The substrate for both of these was popcorn. I hope that John will send me a follow-up pic on the PR casing.

new_shroomin_guynyc (Jay)
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 10:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to email John back and tell him his humidity seems to be a little low on those Haw's.

fahtphish (Fahtphish)
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 10:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats some nice lookin baskets in the back there hey!

faht

Mod PissyBee (Pissybee)
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PB

Boomer (Boomerstank)
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont often curse, but holy fucking shit, that is fucking ridiculously sexy.

gunnermikey (Gunnermikey)
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 12:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats just fucking beautiful can't wait to get mine like that....popcorn aaa. mmmmmmm

new_shroomin_guynyc (Jay)
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 01:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I forgot my cursing too....Fucking awesome PR's

Angel (Angel)
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 01:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like what I see.

How do I do one like that ?

Mod PissyBee (Pissybee)
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 01:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/2/20363.html?http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/2/22274.html? Do a keyword search for popcorn in the subject line for a list of much more.
PB

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 04:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear that another one of the hawaiians came in at 21.7 grams.

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 05:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a new message!

PR update:

PR1

PR2

John also included a pic of some F+ from popcorn in this message. He says that you can believe it or not, but there is not that large of a yeild difference in the 3. The PR's have hollow stems.

F+

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 06:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Popcorn case in straight verm. HAW.

John Doe (Smellmyfinger)
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 05:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a full size lighter?

Nope dontthinkso (Pccaz)
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 06:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice shroomies........

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: