Breakthrough in Poor Man's Tek (Cland... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Breakthrough in Poor Man's Tek (Clandestine Compatible) Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

420 man (Optimusprime)
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 12:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My concubine told me of a new super cheap terrarium idea that uses materials every household definely has. Take a milk cartoon with a hollow handle (the usual ones). Now cut it around the top of the handle and make that cut around the whole jug. Now you have the bottom three fourths of the carton with the cut handle, which should look like a chimney, and the top 1/4. Next, make sure the top 1/4 can fit in the bottom 3/4s, if not make the neccessary cuts. You also need to cut around the top part where the milk came out making a whole big enough to stick a hand grasping a brf cake into the jug. Okay now put the top part in the bottom 3/4s upsidedown making sure to put the top 1/4 of the jug is a little further down inside the big part of the jug so that a lid can rest on the inner ledge created by this space. After that, duct tape where the two join . Now, bend and cut a coat hanger to fit snugly around the top ledge like a lid. TO make a sealable lid wrap the coat hanger lid with duct tape all the way around. If the coat hanger does not fit tightly use more tape to make it mold to the opening. Then wrap saran wrap around it, makeing sure that one side of the lid is one solid sheet of saran wrap( the crinkled wrap should be the outside of the lid). You can use clear tape to secure the saran wrap but it is not required. THe finishing touch is the zinger. Put the inside layer of a vaccuum cleaner bag, or polyfill, or a hepa filter, into the "chimney" created by the cut handle. This allows the whole terrrarium to release co2 more efficiently. THis setup is IDEAL as a self contained terrarium for casing but it can also fit and fruit two 1/2 pint cakes. Use a spray bottle to hand mist and use the lid to fan. Please give feedback, due to this being an original terrarium idea. ITs best feature is the "chimney". Thanks

jimmy jublanski (Zoomerhead)
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 04:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

original idea????? how come i remember seeing a milk jug terr. before? maybe i am confused. got any pics to illustrate what you mean better ?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 04:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great minds think alike.
i have heard something similar but i find it hard to visualize without it right in front of me or pix.

JingleHeimerSchmit (Optimusprime)
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 08:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too have heard of milk jug terrariums before zoomerhead, but the ingenuity of my design lies in its readily available materials, amazingly easy to make but tight fitting lid, "chimney" exhaust pipe, and anti-condensation drip qualities. I drew out the exact plans on microsoft paint, failing to realize that you cannot post a bitmap image. Sorry there is no picture. I am no way staking claim to inventing a milk jug terrarium. I am proposing a variation of it that is quite efficient.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 11:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

email me the bitmap, i'll post it.
hippie3 at mycotopia.net

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 12:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I_view32 will convert bitmap to jpeg

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 12:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paint will save as jpeg and gif as well
Hope this helps :)

Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 09:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the help guys. Here are the plans. Hopefully someone out there growing in a really small space can use them."Chimney" Terrarium Plans

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 09:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey that's not bad at all, pretty nifty.

twentyeyes (20eyes)
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 10:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats like chronic tek except not upside down, I like it

inexorable (Inexorable)
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 11:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you think a small hole cut a couple inches from bottom on opposite side of where the chimney sets, plugged w/ polyfill or the other suggestions would allow for better air exchange?? In other words, the chimney would let clean air fall in, while CO2 (heavier than air) would fall out the bottom.
*small, simple improvement, but I think it'd be worth it*

How many 'cakes' fit in one of these??

----

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 11:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

since mycellia generates heat, the old stale air will rise out the top, but as it does that lowers the pressure inside and every now and then reverses the flow, letting cool denser air back in thru the same hole, no real need for 2.
i'd say that's a one maybe two cake terrarium.

Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 01:38 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here the skinny on how many cakes will fit. My concubine has two half pint cakes in there. They are a bit snug though and are only i inch apart and close but not touching the jg walls. Also, if you are putting two cakes in only one jar lid can fit, the other cakes must be on a smaller lid or tray. A pint cake would fit great standing up (just cut the hand hole a little bigger). I also believe that this terrarium would possibly fit two one pint cakes on their sides (never been tested though). THE BEST USE OF THIS TERRARIUM WOULD BE TO USE IT FOR CASING. IF YOU USE IT FOR THIS MAKE SURE TO WRAP OR TAPE SOMETHING AROUND THE BOTTOM SO THE MUSHIES GROW UPWARD. TRUST ME, THIS TERRARIUM IS A KEEPER, AND IS SPACE EFFICIENT WHEN USED FOR CASING.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: