Economical Drip-Shield Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Economical Drip-Shield Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Myco M. Maniac (Myco_Maniac)
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 04:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi-Ho!

An idea for a drip shield, without the plexi-glassed hassle/cost:

1. Grab a trashbag.
2. Grab some tape.
3. Grab some scissors. (Dont Run!)
4. Grab a Nail/Hammer OR a humidity-safe adhesive. (NOT Duct Tape, it gets all sticky & Yucky!)
5. Grab your thinking CapE. (Its hanging on the closeline, let it dry first..)

Heres how its goin down:

Cut that trashbag to slightly larger dimensions than your terrarium. (The bigger the better, just cut what you don't need afterwards.)

Find the lowest spot you want the drip-shield to be and put the two nails, (or whathaveyou) in there on either extreme end. You should do this on the length walls of your terrarium, the smaller ones. Even though a sharper slope is created by doing it width-wise there is risk of dripping over more cakes/mushrooms near the sides because of the wider nature of it.

put that bag in, pull it so its even, maybe put some tape on outside where it folds over, or maybe just close the lid to keep it secure. Either way i'd say its a pretty cheap/hassle free way to make a drip shield.

Looked in the archives and i dont THINK anyone has talked about it, if someone has, sorry for being repetitive!

Cheers!

Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 04:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, i forgot to fix the name of this post, it should be "Economical Drip-Shield" Sorry Hippie!!!

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 09:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fixed it for ya
Hope this helps :)

JingleHeimerSchmit (Optimusprime)
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 10:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THis drip shield pretty much sucks! First, most trash bags I see are either white or black. This is a big problem because light cannot penetrate the drip shield so the mushies will grow funny. In addition, This shield is not removable so it is going to be a hassle to fan the terrarium and pick fruit. Quick question, have you actuallly tried this yourself? I recommend not recommending something to others without experimenting yourself. Sorry for the pejorative tone of this post. I just thought the suggestion is bunk and would lead others directly towards failure.

Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 11:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, you should probably cool your jets a bit, "THis drip shield pretty much sucks!"

Ok, so anyway:

To Imok: Thx a lot man!

To Jingle:

I dont know if you've heard, but there are see-through trashbags, and they will let sufficient light through. You could also use pretty much any fabric/material that lets light through and repels water.(Thats where your thinking cape came in...)

Also: the shield IS removeable, because all you do is pull it back to the adhesive on the lower side of the shield, i figured i didn't have to state something so obvious...

"put that bag in, pull it so its even, maybe put some tape on outside where it folds over, or maybe just close the lid to keep it secure."

And on another side note, yes i have used it as a drip-shield to grow mushrooms, and as for leading towards failure, i think you should probably read up.

Sorry for the "pejorative tone of this post."

Cheers!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 12:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually it's not a bad idea at all.
it's not going to completely block light,
esp. if white plastic is used.
of course any hardware store carries clear plastic sheeting that would work the same.
thx for the post and thx for trying to be helpful,
that's what this site is really all about.
sorry for jingle's rudeness,
he's new here and doesn't seem to know that's
not how we treat our guests.

jingle, please try to be more hospitable when you address other members here, we value each and every sincere post, right or wrong, and we work through it in a friendly way. we want folks to come here and stay awhile, we do not want them run off by rude hostile heckling.
thx for your cooperation.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 12:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hip,
Ever consider a career as a diplomat?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 01:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shhhh,
you're gonna blow my cover.

JingleHeimerSchmit (Optimusprime)
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 02:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea on second thought that was a bit harsh, I can think of some good uses for the shield now. I am still having trouble seeing how the shield wouldn't lose its form and droop. Where does it draw its support from? Sorry for the unkind words Myco Maniac, I wasn't being myself. All new suggestions should be welcomed because that is the only way to make progress in the field. My bad, my B, my buss.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 02:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 04:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,

The drip shield is held tightly by two pieces of tape, on the outside of the terrarium where the trashbag comes out and over. It can also be pulled tightly and the lid closed if your lid's seal is good enough.

The only thing to watch out for is water dripping when you're pulling it back to the adhesive to tend to your terrarium.

Aloha

ChesterTheWorm (Chestertheworm)
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 04:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats a good idea Myco i got a plexi-glass in my grow chamber & i use a ultra sonic humidifyer i keep it 2 hours on ten hours off then 2 hours on then ten hours off all combined 24 hours & water gets on my cakes this idea will save me $$$ & alot of trouble thanks Myco

ChesterTheWorm (Chestertheworm)
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 04:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i didnt mean to put the Lame face on i meant to put the happy one on

asdfg (Asdfg)
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 07:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

has ne1 ever tried not using a drip shield? a foaf never uses one and has no problems w/ h2o dripping on her cakes.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 03:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lots of folks omit drip shields, never used one either.

subterra (Subterra)
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 05:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I've noticed that a lot of public places have the clear trashbags- public restrooms, for instance.

(Just be sure to leave one of your own trash bags behind to keep your karma straight...)

-subterra

Soliver (Soliver)
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 05:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never used a drip shield, mostly out of laziness
and lack of materials. Maybe if I used one I'd have
better yields, but I'm not too concerned w/ that kind 'o thing,
so long as I get the end result, and enough of it!

Sol

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: