Yeast Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Contams. Yeast Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Herb Smith (Smkindahrbge)
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 02:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mix the Brown Rice Flour (BRF) and Vermiculite and Water in the proportions indicated in the archives. Then I take however many 1/2 pint jars I have available, usually about 10, put a spoon of vermiculite in the bottom, then fill to the top measurement mark with substrate, and top off the remaining 3/4 inch of the jar with vermiculite, put on lids, top with foil.

Then I Boil them for an hour or two, let them sit overnight, take them out of the pot until I feel like preparing a syringe to innoculate with. I've had them sit in storage for up to 3 weeks, and only one so far has ever grown any mold (indicating that it was not sterile).

I innoculate with Blue Meanie (a'la STP ripoff-central) mycelium solution, which I have recently used the last of to start another 10 jars. I had another jar of Honey Tek made with the same stuff, but yesterday all the mycelium mysteriously floated to the top of the liquid and now has visible gas bubbles in it, so I imagine that one's terminally ill with something.

Anyway, I inoculate the jars in the Oven, put the foil back on, put them under my bathroom sink, where the a/c from my less frugal neighbor's apt keeps the temp under 86 all the time (Dallas). It is usually around 80, never over 84 or under 78.

Anyway, I let them sit in there for about 4 or 5 days, then they start to show mycelial growth. Before day 14, about 1/2 of them will be 3/4 colonized, the other half stopped at about 50%. No green blobs, nothing but substrate and thick White Fuzz. Most of them stay exactly like that, maybe one or two keep growing to 80 or 90%, then stop.

Getting towards the end of week 3, the still exposed substrate starts to grow what looks like more mycelium, but with brown rice powder embedded in it. It gets fluffier, but it never gets thick and it never turns white. I have one that I started in early August that still looks the same, but the mycelium has shriveled up and stuck to the substrate, I guess dead.

My final attempt (due to broke student syndrome) was to put them all in a tupperware box with a HEPA filter. I'm thinking that I should try B+ next time.
Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 03:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like a yeast contam. Fizzling Honey Tek tells me you have it in your jars too probably. Yeast in jars is not really a visible contam, mycelia simply refuses to colonize even tho the substrate looks normal. Under the sink is a bad place to incubate: contam central.

Skip honey tek, get everything clean, go straight PF tek using his syringes... And find a cleaner place to store them.

Shroom Glossary