Mica Caps Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Mica Caps Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

ClosetMonger (Closetmonger)
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 05:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone in the know on them? Anyone ever hear about how they react with alcohol? I read somewhere that certain strains will make you sick if you often partake of alcohol.

For some reason I have them growing all over an old dung pile side by side with a variety of other types. When they first break ground they have that nice carmel color only they have that white fuzz on the cap. Imagine my reaction when I saw a clump the size of two hands pushing out.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 03:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not a shroom expert,
what are they ?
edible ?

CptnMaxMushroom (Captainmax)
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 03:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mica Caps ( /i Coprinus micaceus ) usually grow on wood but there are several other species (not called strains) in the same family such as the Shaggy Mane and the Alchohol Inky that are commonly found in dung and compost. Although most are edible, some don't mix well with alchohol. You should make sure of your identification...did your specimen turn to goo overnight? If not, then it was not Coprinus family.

Here is a digital pic of a 35mm shot of Mica Caps which doesn't do justice. To stumble upon a clump of these beautiful gems on a log in the forest is a real treat. Each one glistens with thousands of tiny sparkles on a dry day.

They are edible but so small and untasteful, unless you are starving and lost in the forest, they are not much use.

Mica Caps

From the SporeLab Gallery of Mt. Elphie Mushrooms
www.sporelab.com

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 11:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Archive material to mushroom identification.
Great material Capt
:)

ClosetMonger (Closetmonger)
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 05:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to print it and it went gooey and didn't take it all night either. If I let them grow in the pile they will appear and die in just one day. Caps flip up too. I couldn't pin point the species either, all Coprinus' look to close to me.

I'm not gonna eat them, I was just wondering.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 03:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: