Grains Invirto? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Invitro [MycroTeks] Grains Invirto? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 04:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never had this happen with any other grains. No casing, and the jar has not been opened since the g2g. It is popcorn.

Invitro

Invitro1

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 11:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

interesting, highflyer.
i'd agree, fruiting on just plain grain is very rare, yet here you have it.
perhaps the extra space and air helps popcorn to pin, unlike smaller grains.
more research is needed.
thx for sharing.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 04:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone else seen any examples of this phenomenon ?

Soliver (Soliver)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 07:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On popcorn, like highflier says.
Gotten to the point that it's pretty normal now.
Some strains seem to fruit easier invitro on corn
than others. Haw, and B+ both seem to readily fruit
if left long enough, but PR's rarely do unless agitated or
opened & dug into, IME.

Anyone else?

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 08:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

highflyer , what strain is that you used to inoculate the popcorn ?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 01:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about a few pix of some, sol ?

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 06:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The strain in the pic is B+. I have also had this happen with PFC. With both PFC and B+, it is fairly coommon as Soliver says. Just let the jars sit in the light for a while after full colonization. I have never kept track of the timetable that it takes.

Two strains that will not pin invirto for me are PR and Haw.

Soliver (Soliver)
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 09:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got 1 quart of Haw's sitting outside, pinning
like mad - the quart sat in the closet until some
green got through the tyvek -
I put the jar outside with the lid open, and now
there's tons of pins alongside the green spots.
I'll go snap a pic as soon as these shrooms wear
off & I remember how to operate my digi

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some strains pin so fast, you can't get them out of the grain jar fast enough. I had it with this jar which was inoculated by g2g only three weeks earlier. It also is the jar that was treated with t. methyl to retard trich. (see the 'trichoderma' thread) The jar on the left was not inoc'd, but left with the lid off for half an hour in an open(dirty) room. So you can see, both jars were exposed to a POTENT fungicide, yet one was pinning three weeks later.
b40a

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

- the quart sat in the closet until some
green got through the tyvek -

so you also are seeing mold getting thru the tyvek over time ?

Soliver (Soliver)
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 04:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes -

Some jars will sit for 2 months + and then suddenly they'll
contam???
Sometimes the tyvek will have a vague light green
mold on top - I think it actually grows through
the tyvek and drops spores down onto the substrate... could be wrong but it makes sense to me.

I'm thinking of going back to the archived roots of
this hobby and seeing if I can't get better, more
consistent results with rye berries (or some other grain)
and polyfill lids. The variance I'm seeing with
my popcorn is unnerving.
Granted, my technique is far from perfect, but I'm
not sure if it's ME or the way I'm going about it.
Mass spore innoculation works 100% for me in PF
style jars, but with corn and tyvek it seems like
a crap shoot.
I'm not sure the rapid colonization is worth it.
Maybe I should just go back to polyfill - highflyer's
post in "fungi" makes me wonder if tyvek is all
it's cracked up to be for these purposes.

Although I haven't found a better material for
printing - I'll always use tyvek for that - it makes
my syringe tek easy as pie.

sol

Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 01:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote;
"Some jars will sit for 2 months + and then suddenly they'll contam???"

That's too long no matter what they're covered with. PC'ing grain gives you a good two to three week window for the mycelia to colonize the substrate. As soon as colonization is complete, you need to get it on to the next stage, or contamination that survived the PC will start to grow. Paul Stamets says you'd have to PC for 24 hours to kill ALL the bad stuff, and if you did that, your grain would be a shapeless mass of overcooked gunk.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is exactly what i'm seeing.

Quote:

Sometimes the tyvek will have a vague light green
mold on top - I think it actually grows through
the tyvek and drops spores down onto the substrate

takes about a week after full colonization but again and again there it is. not trich, lighter green and not very aggressive, just sits and spreds slowly if at all.
maybe it's spores are so small it can pierce tyvek.
anyone know what micron filter tyvek is ?

Admin (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 10336
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1384

Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:52 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also only use quarts, and a good method is shown below. I'm liking this way more and more lately. Grow out the spawn in one quart jar, then shake it up and pour into five quart jars. Add compost to make it a 50/50 mix, then put the lid on and forget it. The oldest of the jars below is the one on the right. It is three weeks since the rye was spawned into compost. The others are from a week later. The key to fast pinsets (other than strain isolation http://archives.mycotopia.net/discuscgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=5&post=133501#POST133501 ) is to expose to light from the first day. At NO time would I allow mycelia to exist in darkness for more than 24 hours. Those jars hold four separate strains. The best thing about this method of growing is there's no misting, no fanning, no terrarium, and very little hassle factor.
Upload
Upload
You just reach in with a fork and dig the mushrooms out. There is no real need to be gentle. Afterward, simply fill the jar up with water to the top, and put in refrigerator overnight for a dunk. Dump it out, put the lid back on and wait two weeks for another (bigger) flush. This tek started out as my proving method for strains so I don't waste a lot of time growing casings or logs for nothing. On the first grain to grain transfer, I'd always leave a bit in the grain master jar. Then, I'd add a bit of compost and let it colonize and fruit while the first set of jars were colonizing from the grain to grain transfer. This way, I'd know if it was a fruiting strain before it was time for the second grain to grain transfer. However, from a speed and stealth standpoint, it's not a half bad way to grow, and yeilds are excellent.

(Message edited by admin on January 06, 2004)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: