Trichoderma, Banrot 40wp [t.methyl] &... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Contams. Trichoderma, Banrot 40wp [t.methyl] & rhodo leaves Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Hungry?rodger rabbitHippie322 1 08-18-03  09:50 pm
Archive through July 17, 2003rodger rabbitHippie326 1 07-17-03  04:30 pm
Archive through August 11, 2003rodger rabbitrodger rabbit20 1 08-11-03  11:04 pm
Archive through August 26, 2003Hippie3Hippie320 1 08-26-03  01:40 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, so far i'm pretty impressed with the t.methyl [banrot 40wp].
we took several qts of popcorn that were already in pretty bad shape, leftovers from my invitro/quarts experiments, already partially contaminated.
we salvaged what we could and mixed it into scotts 3n1 compost treated with t.methy.
a week went by with no trouble,
but then i neglected to open the lids to vent for several days to induce trich.
which worked,
trich appeared in several spots on each tray [4 in all].
the spots were then directly sprayed with a solution of t.methy.
the trich vanished overnight,
and has not yet returned,
and it's now 3 days later.
and i even see a few pins forming in one tray.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, we used 1/2 teaspoon per gallon

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy shit! I only treated the grain as a preventative. You've shown it will also kill trich that is alive and growing. I'll bet a tablespoon or two in the pasteurization water for straw would make trich a thing of the past in logs too.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 03:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

time will tell.
i keep expecting it to return,
as i suspect it still lurks below.
but i'm reluctant to tear it up for autopsy yet.
will update asap.

Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 03:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't do the autopsy until/if it dies...I wanna know.

Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 03:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw. . .Thanks for combining these into one thread. As they should have been from the start. . .

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 03:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't do the autopsy until/if it dies
that's the plan.

loosid (Loosid)
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well shit.
that is amazing.

this brings a whole new idea, can anyone say "Banrot Dunk?"

hell, who knows, maybe even Banrot pasturization!

good work, hip!
loosid

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't forget this stuff's highly toxic.
so it's use should not be routine,
for your own sake.
and plz handle it with the careful respect it requires.

drugiedugie (Dugzup)
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 07:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did 2 pf style jars with some rhodo leaves mixed into the recipie.
one of them triched out almost imediatly.......the other is colonizing nicely....go figure

Hip.....you still got any t methyl to part with?

loosid (Loosid)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 05:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey hip, how did you treat the 3 in 1 with the t. methyl?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, sorry, none left to part with.
and i don't think i'll do that again,
i really do not like mailing it.
i don't need the heat.

loosid,
we just put a 1/2 teaspoon in a gallon of water,
which we then used to wet the soil.

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 02:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How well does the scotts 3n1 compost work? Alot of people speak of it. I have tried several brands of store bought manure, and none work well.

Organism (Organism)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 03:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is this banrot and t-methyl you are speaking of?
Interested in anything to combat trich with!!
Thanks

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 05:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all in this thread. You'll just have to scroll up and read it.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 11:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd call the 3n1 mediocre, but workable.
my biggest complaint is its' low dung content, only about 30%.

loosid (Loosid)
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 02:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but wouldn't that make the 3in1 better for someone having problems with, or who is worried about contams? it seems like that's an easy way cut the risk of losing everything to make sure that things still work

ya know?
thanks!
loosid

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

true.
but yield is less
so it's a trade-off.
but i have a few hundred pounds lying around so i figure i might as well use it up.

loosid (Loosid)
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 03:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the info, foaf has some of it laying around too, and was planning on using popcorn + 3in1 + verm + lime and case it. how much lime? 10%???

he's worked with straw and didn't really liked it because it's a terrble mess, and so isn't going to be using it anymore

so, how do you think popcorn + 3in1 in a casing would do? should it need verm? straw? coir? 10% lime?e

if that works well he's going to shift slowly to using more dung and eventually prob coir + dung ala rabbit.

how do you use are you going to use all that 3in1? i want to know a hip3in1casing

thanks!
loosid

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 07:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually have better luck using a dung-free compost, mixed with coir, verm, and a bit of coffee grinds.

loosid (Loosid)
Username: Loosid

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lowe's has a few composts available,

composted dung

scotts 3 in 1

mushroom compost.
so my friend was like "you have mushroom compost?!?!" and so he went over to the bags and read that the compost inside was previously used for growing legal mushrooms just like he does! only the compost is used, autoclaved and packaged for sale, you think there are enough nutes to use this ph balanced premade compost? it sounds interesting, though he was thinking of adding some dung to make up for the lost nutes.
this compost with some dung + coir + verm seems like a good bet.

if a person doesn't drink coffee, is there a reason that you use/love coffee grinds other than just using what you have?

thanks!
loosid

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 6455
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't use the 'mushroom compost',
it's already depleted and only usable on plants.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

loosid (Loosid)

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok thanks!

how do you feel about adding commercial, bagged dung to the 3in1?

foaf had thought that the t. methyl was supposed to prevent more than trich, but of course he didn't expect it to work like magic, one batch of his work (g2g, initial jar was contamed w/ cobweb mold)
he tried to see if the t methyl would kill the mold that was already alive.

well, it didn't, the mold ran through the jars in less than 2 days.
and it appears that corn will contam more quickly than other grains, which just speeds things up so to speak.

will try with trich to see what can happen too.

thanks
loosid
Anything I post is relating strictly to legal, edible mushroom. I have nothing to do with any prohibited substances, plants or mushrooms.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 6523
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mine died too, the trich just went underground
adding dung to 3n1 would no doubt be helpful.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif
Dope will get you through times of no money better
than money will get you through times of no dope.

loosid (Loosid)

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 08:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, it appears that the t methyl might only work to prevent spores from germinating for things like cobweb and trich, as we have a few instances if the living molds beating the t methyl.

could that mean that it would maybe prevent fungus spores from germinating???
it is listed as a fungicide and foaf has only put live tissue (g2g) in the treated grain! do you have to use g2g with t methyl?

btw, foaf is saying that he expected it to work on cobweb mold because some where when looking up info on the Banrot 40wp he found a list of things it prevented, and black mold and some other molds were on it.

Anything I post is relating strictly to legal, edible mushroom. I have nothing to do with any prohibited substances, plants or mushrooms.

Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 635
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Banrot is best used only to prevent spore germination. I'm sure you could mix it very strong and kill EVERYTHING, but you'd also kill the mushroom mycelium. The best cure for cobweb is proper air exchange. If cobweb is in your jars, they were contaminated from the get-go. I never try to save a contaminated project. If it gets trich, it's history. (cobweb can be 'melted on sight' by spraying straight peroxide out of the bottle) Why take a chance on letting trich spread to the healthy casings or logs? My intention with the t. methyl experiments was to find a way to use grain spawn in the open air to spawn logs, without the trich spores that land on the rye or corn kernals being able to germinate. I found that soaking the rye in water for 24-36 hours with a solution of 1 teaspoon per gallon (prior to pc) prevented trich from germinating. My test jar of rye that was left open and exposed to the air still has NO contams of any kind growing in it two months later. The jars of banrot treated rye that were spawned with mycelia have long ago fruited. Just bear in mind that t.methyl is a powerful fungicide, and your mushrooms are a fungus. Mix it weak, and only use it pre-spawning as a preventative. It will prevent spore germination, so you must use agar, or grain to grain transfers for the mushroom mycelia to have a chance.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: