My fruiting chamber project pics Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. My fruiting chamber project pics Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pics of the fruiting chambers I have been building. It's not quite a terrarium, nor is it an aquarium. It's more of an island in a box... Islarium?

terrarium001.jpg
A standard rubbermaid type of bin with an aquarium heater embedded through the side wall.

terrarium002.jpg
A plastic tray sits above the water, 4 inches above the floor of the bin. 1/16 of an inch holes are drilled in it to allow humidity to flow evenly.

terrarium003.jpg
A closeup of the tray.

terrarium004.jpg
The roof acts as a drip shield for condensing water. Water runs down to the edges and falls back into the bin to be recycled. The angled shape prevents water from hitting the mycelium.

terrarium005.jpg
The side walls of the roof are hand sanded to fit the bin ledges and provide a good seal.

terrarium007.jpg
Side view of the project.

terrarium009.jpg
Top view of the project.

terrarium011.jpg
Tray side view from the top.

These are kind of a bitch to build, but a fun project anyway. It's kind of an all-in-one wonder, that should provide maintenance free harvesting of cakes. I also bought a terrarium UV lamp to put on top of the tank and run for a few minutes each day.

I'm dunking my first cake right now... more pics to come

Oh, one more thing... this is the new camera I got... Takes shitty ass indoor pics is why I did this outside, but it was only 80 bucks

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lookin neat !
quiet a drilling job on that traybottom

Zap (Zap)
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 03:27 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so how much you chargeing to make me one?

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a couple updates. I just got this one up and running, so humidity is still kind of low.... But cool nonetheless.

terrariumupdate001.jpg
terrariumupdate002.jpg
terrariumupdate003.jpg
terrariumupdate004.jpg

As for your question about how much they cost Zap... well they are a bit pricey to make. I use some pretty heavy plex that costs quite a bit. Plex for one tank is $25, aquarium heater is $20, terrarium UV lamp was $27, and the rubbermaid type bin was $8. Plus they take about 15 to 20 hours to cut, sand, and glue the whole thing together .

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DAMN!! 80 smackers eh? whew! the design is really neat and and i really like the A-frame lid, so don't think I'm putting you down, but here, the sixth picture down is an example of a fruiting chamber that costs $11.50, only took 15 min. to set up and you can stack 'em. Again don't think i'm putting you down cuz a year ago i would have been all over that design. Very nicely presented btw.

faht

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of the intent was to make a self sustaining system that I didn't have to monitor or mist... the other part of it was simply to take up my time cause the cakes were taking so damn long to colonize. Let's just say I needed something to occupy me

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 05:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know how that goes!

let us know how it works.
faht

psillyme (Psillyme)
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! That's a like a penthouse suite for shrooms. Nicely done. Couple of questions: 1) Are you planning to automate air exchange when you fruit and, if so, how; and 2) What steps are you taking to keep contaminates out of the standing pool of water at the bottom?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 01:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

definite archive material
nicely illustrated, i'm sure this will help many down the road of time.
thx for sharing.

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psillyme... 1)Actually, I was thinking about adding the automated air exchange to these by mounting computer case fans to the side. I was considering drilling holes in the wall similar to the ones in the tray, placing a tyvek sheet over the holes, and then mounting the fan(s) over the tyvek. It should provide enough filtered air exchange. We will see what happens . 2)I'm using a hydrogen peroxide/water mix in the tank. It should keep contaminants out long enough to pull a couple of flushes from a batch, then I will just clean out the tank for the next run.

Thanks for the compliments .

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 07:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As suggested... I added that ventilation system to my prototype unit. At first the ventilation was too intense and sucking out all the humidity, so I added a tyvek sheet underneath it. I'm monitoring the tank for recalibration of humidity/chamber temp/ventilation now. Last I checked, it's working out great. Plenty of mist on the lid, and the chamber temp is a solid 77 degrees.

The mycelium on this cake is recovering nicely. I pulled it out of the dunk last night, and it's already growing a soft, new, fuzzy coating.

Next cake is in the dunk now... will post updates when fruits begin to pop up!

tupdate001.jpg
tupdate002.jpg

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 12:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a friend of mine has been playing with tyvek filters on his rubbermaids too.
but you may find the fans a bit excessive, keep an eye on moisture content of your cakes, etc.

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 01:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have come to the conclusion that it's best to just have the fan on at the same time I'm doing lighting... Like 30 min 2x a day. After switching to having the fan on only periodically, the tank looks like it has a cloud inside of it... Very, very foggy.

So far everything is going clockwork though. The cakes look outstandingly happy.

Thanks to everyone at Mycotopia for their advice, examples, and pictures. This project afterall, is a hybrid combination of everything I have read here.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: