Dunking simplified Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Dunking. Dunking simplified Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 01:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After doing my very first cake dunk, I realized how frustrating the floating factor could be. So... I made this little doodad out of plexy glass that allows simple dunking in the jar before birthing the cake.

This idea evolves from the little pins that keep computer mainboards from touching the metal plating of the case. It's called a standoff.

standoff001.jpg
standoff002.jpg
standoff003.jpg

Basically once a cake is colonized, you pour out the loose vermiculite, and throw this in the jar. Then screw the lid back on, and use a sterile syringe/water to shoot into the innoc port. And viola`, instant hassle free dunking. No floating, no cake touching, no problems. After the dunk, just birth right into the fruiting chamber.

Enjoy!

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 01:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pics and idea, thanks for sharing.
However, you could just wad up some foil and put it on top of the cake.
That will keep the cake under the "water".
Be sure to dunk in the fridge.
And you can use the same foil when dipping in the 1:200 h2o:bleach solution.
Hope this helps :)

John Doe (Smellmyfinger)
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 06:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats sweet Cozmic

Cleanjar (Cleanjar)
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 08:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent dunking device.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 10:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very nice.

mushroomman (Tripmyballsoff)
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 10:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like the thing thwey out in the middle of ur pizza so the cheese doesnt stick to the box ;)

Skippy the Pirate (Skippy)
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 02:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet that one of those pizza box stand-off's would work well too.
I used to use a large marble because it was easy to sterilize. I might have to order some pizza's in the future. I get fed, the cake gets dunked, it sounds like a win-win situation.

stevie ray (Gldfsh)
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 05:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice idea, but it just seems like waaaaayyy too much work!!!! My buddy just sticks the cake in there with a ball of foil(he knows it is bad but it isn't sterilized, right off the roll), he hasn't lost a cake yet, and has taken some of his cakes to 4th flushes this way. He also dunks with tap water. Mycelium is very strong and you shouldn't have to worry about contams unless the cake isn't 110% colonized. Oh yeah, dunk with lids without holes!!! IMHO holes in the lid in a fridge is more risky than the tap water and unsterilized foil. Dunking is a pain in the ass but it is well worth it!!!!!

Here is one done the way I have described. The strain is CR.
CR cake

Industrial Love (Machine)
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 07:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I just stuff 10-12 pint cakes into a 2 gallon ziplock bag and fill it with water straight from the tap. The gallon ziplocks with only hold 9 pint cakes. Contams aren't really an issue until the cake is too old and by then I am willing to throw it away anyway.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: