Polyfill Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Lids Polyfill Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Grain Jar Tek - 1
Grain Teks - 1
Syringe Info - 1
Polyfill Bubble TEKAcheronHippie34 1 11-22-02  01:48 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Joe Mamma (Madscientist)
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 08:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is the deal with Polyfil? Is this a suggested tek when making BRF cakes? Will the gas exchange speed things up?

relic (Relic)
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 03:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you for posting this topic. i've been wanting to revisit Polyfil for ya'll who don't know what the deal is with it. i use it for doing qts. of grain (rye, wheat, grass seed, etc.) you can inoculate right through a polyfill vent. you drill a pencil sized hole or a little bigger and stuff it with polyfil. if the needle is blunted it can be a pain to go through the polyfil but you can go next to it or through a small seperate hole taped then taped over after inoculating. this is the easiest tek there is, imo.

1 2 3 4 5 6

although i've never done it, i'm sure you could replace the verm layer w/ polyfil in the pf tek. it also works great to stuff vent holes in your terrariums.

See: Psilocyber's Tek : Karna's Grain Tek : Quart Invitro : 9er Tek Substrate : Hip's Bulk Tek : Cloning Method : Mycelial Syringe : Cleaning Cakes : Leaving Town : Shroom Glossary

Joe Mamma (Madscientist)
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 07:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. Here is another question. Do these plastic covers that you use work better the metal ones? It seems that you can get more life out of them. No rust. I have seen them but the package says not for proccesing. Do they warp from the heat?

relic (Relic)
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 04:29 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no they don't seem to be affected by the heat at all. i love them. a word of advise though, put them in some boiling water immediately before drilling the hole in the lid or they will crack. other than that they are really durable.

Brettiejams (Brettiejams)
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 06:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you start small with the hole and then drill your way up incrementally the lid shouldn't crack... whether you boil it first or not.

Nuecrew (Nuecrew)
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2001 - 05:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I needed to dilute some high conc. spore syringes. I bought some goretex at the fabric shop and put it on top of a 1/2 pint held in place with the screw band. I PC'd it and after cooling, punctured it about 20 times with a new needle to draw out the dilute spore solution. FYIgoretex

Dr. Cubesis III (Newbieshroomer)
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 07:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noticed there was a lot of talk about pollyfill on the boards as of late...

THought about using the stuff... But my buddy procured a bunch of hepa filters and those last forever.. Lemme explain.....

My buddies Hepa filters come folded into v's. Taking a knife of scissors my buddy cuts one inch by one inch about three inches in. This makes for SCORES of one by one hepa pieces. Then he has his girlfriend duct tape them on pencil sized holes in the center of the jars ( quarts only ) makes for TERRIFIC air exchange when jars are shaken, and he has yet to experience any signifigant contams.

Anyone else use hepa filters instead of pollyfill, or both maybe? If so, do you have a preference, and why?

hippie3 (Hippie)
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 07:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've used both, prefer polyfil 'cause it's easy to slide a needle thru, and re-seals itself.
plus, the bigger the wad, the safer. you can add layers of polyfil , etc.

Dr. Cubesis III (Newbieshroomer)
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 07:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhhhh,

:)

Thanks again hippie! Might just move over for a bit.. The worst part is taping the damn hepa on after innoculation. But with the girlfriend doing the grunt work taping the lids... No big deal! Plus,
she gets to feel like she is helping a lot and doing something special! Would be NICER if she would just actually READ a little bit about our hobby instead of getting all info from her guy...
She Loves the hobby, hates reading.. What a mix...

ion ewe (Ion)
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 09:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm dropping in today because I can't get something out of my head...

Filter discs are pretty well thought of around here, right? As well are polyfill lids and other types of air filtering stuff...

Nobody's mentioned the higher quality "down to 1 micron" vaccuum cleaner bags... They'd work great for just about any jerry-rigged sanitation system! Use pieces of 'em instead of dust masks for those cheapo glove boxes. To cover jars during printing. Rig up a disc thingy with 2 round pieces of plexiglass, some Tommy Tape, and 2 small pieces of tubing, and just insert a layer of this stuff.
Just seems like a pretty good resource goin' to waste there... I wanted to mention it.

Later all!

-ion

Kaijan (Kaijan)
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 05:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good idea

kai.

plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420)
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 01:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so these are a special kind of vaccuum cleaner bag? would any kind work? sounds like a good idea...

hippie3 (Hippie)
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 05:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMPORTANT UPDATE --
AIRPORT

sheesh.
he said "the higher quality "down to 1 micron" vaccuum cleaner bags."
not just any kind.

plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420)
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 11:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm sorry hippie... i saw that, but the way it was worded in the sentence
"Nobody's mentioned the higher quality "down to 1 micron" vaccuum cleaner bags"
i wasn't sure if he meant higher quality vaccuum bags as opposed to lower quality or that vaccuum bags were higher quality that the polyfill and filter discs... didn't mean to annoy, just trying to clarify.. i never like to do anything until i am 100% sure that is what was meant... i've had so much failure in my life i'm very paranoid about it

ion ewe (Ion)
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 06:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For being a writer, my grammatical punctuation really sucks. That's what editors are for, I suppose... Hey, at least I can spell, huh?

-ion