Good wild mushie? STAINS BLUE Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Good wild mushie? STAINS BLUE Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

THE MULE (Freddyfish)
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 11:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was doing some string trimming around a mule barn earlier today and wacked this orange mushroom,
It immediatly turned blue on all of the exposed areas very quickly. Its a very strange looking shroom, the stem I would say was about3/4 of an inch in diameter and about an inch tall to where it met the cap. The cap itself was about 4" in diameter and about 1/2" thick. the texture of the cap was kind of like the coarse elephant ear mushrooms you see growing on logs(in the midwest).The most interesting part was that the gills on the underside of the cap had like a protective covering over them with little holes(kind of like the holes you might see in an old bristle dartboard that heal when you pull the dart out),this protective layer was I want to say about an 1/8 of an inch thick and is tight up against the gills. It was near a mule pen could have been some dung there(in the soil) but it wasn't visible to the eye.
I've been lurking around here for a while and thought that I had once saw something in the archives about all shrooms that bruise blue being good shrooms but i wasn't sure.I did some keyword searches and couldn't find it anywhere.
I thought It was an interesting find in my area,
since there isnt much but toadstools growing any where. I did find a very colorful amanita mushroom once but that was all ive ever found.
With all of this rain lots of strange things are popping up.
If anyone is interested i was able to save about 3/4 of the cap. I could take some pics and figure out how to post them to share.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 09:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

once saw something in the archives about all shrooms that bruise blue being good shrooms

not true.
some other species , non-active, also stain blue.
i'm no expert of wild shrooms so you'll need to inquire further for any definite ID
to post pix,
see Board Rules & Announcements: Posting Pictures

THE MULE (Freddyfish)
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 02:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Hippie,
At a closer inspection earlier today I noticed that on the bottom side , the very thick veil was actually sponge like the yummy morels but on a much smaller scale.
As I took it out of the terry towel to take this pic I noticed that it had dropped some bright yellow spores through the sponge veil.(can't see how its possible, but it is the world of fungus).

I'm going to try to clone this mushroom and play around with some different TEKs to see if I can get some fruit. Not to eat of course, but maybe as a landscaping.(and of course, practice that I normally wouldn't waste my friends good stuff on)!
Well here is a pic of the shroom right after I cut it in half. It turns dark blue very quickly, then loses a little bit in about a two second time, but still retains most blue.(it is a very cool animation, thought i was having a flashback when I first hit it with the weedwacker)

Well here it is check it out for your self.
Unfortunatly I wasn't able to get a good shot at the sponge, also it has darkened to a darker orange since I found (destroyed) it.

Wild Mushroom

Thanks again for the treasure trove of info here at mycotopia!(donation coming soon)

lyqwyd (Lyqwyd44)
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 04:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think i have have seen your mushroom before, MULE. The top of the cap is bright orange, the bottom of the cap is yellow sponge. spores are yellow, stem is lighter yellow, it bruises blue almost instantly after you touch it. I however saw that mushroom in a conifer forest in the catskills; they grow all over the place. im relatively sure they are NOT active, but i cant be sure since i didnt munch em. a friend of mine has also seen them growing in swampy areas near wood mulch/pine needles. they are wierd as hell... another wierd fungus to look for is this long red (like fire engine red) tube with brown crap on the end furthest away from the ground... they smell bad too

Soliver (Soliver)
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 06:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, that's a bolete. They don't have gills, just
tube-like spongy areas that drop spores, and yes, many drop yellow and have orange tube-gills

They're not active in any way, but some boletes are prized edibles.
I collected and preserved many in Colorado, sold them to oriental food stores in
Denver. Personally, I think they taste mushy and gross, but there's no accounting
for taste.

Boletes are supposed to be difficult to grow in controlled environments,
like the amanita, they have very particular tastes in habitat.

Hope this helps some,

Soliver

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 07:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here check it out!

faht
*link courtesy of dunnoyet, :) hehe

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 09:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great link.

Uda Kegg (Uda_Kegg)
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 01:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soliver's right mule, the yellow 'sponge' on the underside of your shroom is not a veil but the actual spore-producing tissue itself.
Also, the bolete in mule's pic is almost certainly a Boletus rather than a Gyroporus.
Some bluing boletes are edible but many are poisonous! And yes, as almost all boletes are mycorrhizal, your artificial fruiting teks will not work mule.
As for being mushy and gross, try grilling a fresh cap of Boletus edulis with a little olive oil, garlic, and parmesan. Crisp and tasty as you like!

THE MULE (Freddyfish)
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 09:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the input and the great link Faht.
I don't think I'll be eating this one.
I'll probably try one sooner or later( with proper I.D. of course).
The aroma I found the bolete has is a very nice shroomy odor (much like the fine aroma when one births a jar, very nice), smells like something good to me.
I have to admit I was a little bummed to find out how impossible they are to grow. I had already started a few different spawn jars to test (no loss just some experimenting practice:)). From some of the research I've done since your I.D.(thanks) of the mushroom. Cheers to the one who cracks the code.
Opposite of what a guy once said on some stargazer show on P.B.S.,I'll keep looking down.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 01:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

be careful, looking down can lead to tripping.

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't you mean freestyle walking?

faht

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: