Got some cats? Here's a suggestion...... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Got some cats? Here's a suggestion... (pics) Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Marx2k (Marx2k)
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 11:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an owner of 3 cats, I understand and respect that they are built for one reason and one reason ONLY:

To process food and poop it out

In other words, they're shit machines.

So, in order to keep my house smelling fresh I have to change the litter quite often (Although sometimes I do go a week or 3 without doing so, as I am very lazy). I don't buy pansy boxes of litter. I buy straight up 25-30 pound buckets of litter...
buckets.jpg

I've had these cats for some time, and I have to buy another bucket of litter about every 2 to 3 weeks. Now I have a lot of buckets, and they come with their own airtight sealable lid!
buckets2.jpg

Without even going through the trouble of sterilizing them, I just dump my old spent casings into the buckets and mix with pre-sterilized (extra supply from making casings) worm poo/peat moss casing mix.

I then leave it alone. Every 3 or 4 days I may open the lid to see ho theyre doing, which provides adequate air supply. The buckets are tall so they make a great humidity chamber. Nothing extra required except moist worm castings and your casing material or your cakes, whatever.
bucketfar.jpg

Even casings that seem to be spent and won't grow anymore continue to generate more mycelium and make more mushies in this system. Also, the buckets are white and light gets through them. So no need to worry about giving them light. Just put them in a corner somewhere or outside if it's not amazingly hot, but outside of direct sunlight and leave them alone for a while.

Just a suggestion for those who DO have cats and can't figure out what to do with them.

By the way, they also make great planters :)
plant.jpg

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 01:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought this might be of interest to the members so I
moved it out into its own thread
Hope this helps :)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 03:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice tips.

Mushroom Zen (Sno)
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in the process of toilet training my cat.
No more litter for me...

Marx2k (Marx2k)
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 06:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for moving it out into its' own thread, hip. That was actually my intention, but somehow it did not happen :(

Zen, I wish my cats were smart enough to be toilet trained. The only thing one of my cats has been able to do is repeatedly crap in the bath tub. AND WE DIDNT EVEN HAVE TO TRAIN HER! :) :) :) :)

Marx2k (Marx2k)
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 06:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, sorry, Imok, I meant to thank you for moving this out into its' own thread

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 09:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

back when i grew pot indoors, i used to buy literally hundreds of identical to those containers from a local bakery, i think they came filled originally with powdered eggs or something along those lines. if i recall correctly they sold me all i wanted for about ten cents a pop for several months until i finally had enough to last me. i still have big stacks of them in the back yard, rotting away.
make great plant containers, tho.

Marx2k (Marx2k)
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if theyre plastic and can be cleaned, yous hould resell them to interested parties. Great for mushroom propagation and if you drill holes in the bottom there, theyre super duper planters.

I should hit up the local bakery and see whats up

MyCurious (Mycurious)
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 04:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck with the cat zen. We tried that with our little neurotic hairball and it was a cat piss disaster.

I suggest you stock on the enzyme cleaner ahead of time.

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 09:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im sure a good bleach soaking will take care of that!

faht

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 01:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend with a cat that went to the toilet... no shit, they trained the cat young with a clear tray that sat in the toliet lid with cat litter in it and after a year or so they just left the lid up and abandoned the cat litter. The cat uses the toilet but still hasn't got the flushing part down.

Roc

Jorneyer (Jorneyer)
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 09:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Shit?
not my kitty

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 02:26 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jorneyer I wouldn't shit a fine little turd like you... nice pic of my friends cat!

Roc

Marx2k (Marx2k)
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little update for one of the buckets...
bucket.jpg

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not getting much light from above, are they ?
looks like the white sides have them a bit confused, as if that matters.
i'd still eat 'em.

Marx2k (Marx2k)
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 12:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in fact, ALL the light comes only from the sides and none from the top.

Also, it looks as if these containers hold humidity a bit TOO well. The specimens look like they were torn when I took them out, usually a sign of high humidity.

Probably great for cakes!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: