Tyvek - different types - which is best? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Lids Tyvek - different types - which is best? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

JJ Walker (Lawnshrooms)
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 05:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

USing Tyvek for my popcorn tek. Just starting out. I picked up some Tyvek envelopes (Fedex, USPS) and used them. At the same time, ordered bulk Tyvek from intothewind.com (highly recommended, shipped and arrived quick by ground). Opened up the intothewind package, and the tyvek is very different. Much more porous, almost like cloth rather than paper. Reminds me of the fabric used to cover airline pillows. It strikes me that this is also the type of tyvek used in disposable coveralls, gloves, etc. Seems that this tyvek likely breathes (much) better.

What kind do most here use? Sources? The envelope (USPS, Fedex) kind, or the more cloth like type? Anyone notice any difference, if they have used both.

I am currently covering my tyvek lids with about 75% tape, to limit mositure loss. I imagine I should cover more with the more porous tyvek. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 08:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

having used both sources you cite i'm proly one of the few qualified to answer your question so you got lucky.
the tyvek from inthewind is more flexible but thinner, i've found i prefer the tyvek from the post office for it's easy of cutting. but the lids tear that kind up more easily if you over-tighten.
so i'd use the post office stuff when you pc, i recommend a double layer in case it tears, and just tighten the lids to snug, but don't crank it tight too hard.
save the other stuff for applications less stressful, like as a window in your terrarium or as filters for cased quarts, etc.

JJ Walker (Lawnshrooms)
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 08:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are the best! I knew there was a reason I donated to this site.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 01:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all donations are welcome,
thank you for yours.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: