Identifying alder Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Identifying alder Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 02:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can someone identify from these pics if it is alder or not ?

alder 1

alder 2

alder 3

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 03:26 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

need a close up of a leaf to be sure but that bark looks right.

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 10:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think i have a winner ! the bark was the only thing i was having doubts about
here a few pics from the seeds , they are in the soil allready now and could reach 4 mtr (13-14 ft) in 5 years , low germination rate though
i will take a pic of the leave for completeness...

alder seeds 1

alder seeds 2

alder seeds 3

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no expert and there are several types of alder but that leaf has the right general shape,
i'd say you're in business.

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 07:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the pics of the leave...

alder leaves 1

alder leaves 2

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 01:30 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep, that's it i'm pretty damn sure.

Mjshroomer (Mjshroomer)
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 05:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alder is a tall thin tree which grows very fast where cedars and douglas firs have been lofgged out. If you live int he PNW you can by alder bark mulch, alder branches and steer-co woodchips. the woodchips and sawdust cost aboutr 15 dollars a pickup load (1 yard)= 1 ton.

They have a shite shad eo f pale to the branches as seen in many of my photos posted at my site of the p. cyanescens.

mj

Not sure of what trees yo are showing.

Sorry i am leaving or I would have arrangesd a trip across the water to kingston and photographed them for you. They grow along highways and roads here inthePNW where they were logged out and the seeds fall along the roads and take root. They look as if they were planted byu humans intheir secondary habitat.

See the grayish branches in the photo. that is alder.

1,pcyan11-27-2002a

and more alder (grayish branches) with a deadly galerina marginata amongst the Psilocybe cyanescens images.

mj

Mjshroomer (Mjshroomer)
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 05:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEre are the images for the above post. I cannot tell oif those are alder. I can tell it form the road but the bark does not look tight on you photos.

pcyangalerinamarginata1

The whitish-gray branches are alder. The other is the deadly poisonous shroom called Galerina marginata growing right inthere with the P. cyans and the faded straw-colored cap it would be easy top accidently pick this shroom while gerabbinbg the others surroounding it.

mj

Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 08:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks MJ , THAT imo is the main problem with outsidebeds as they can attract other species , some deadly ...would it be possible to identify the good ones by the blueing of the shrooms as compared to other species ? Alder is common in europe as well , but i didn't run into a store where they sell it processed , i know where i can buy trees of 'em but they go 10 dollars so i started them from seed and this autumm i'll take cuttings from the trees i found already
i'll add a pic for the ones looking for alder so the info is in one place

barkflowerfruitleaftwig

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 09:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Mjshroomer (Mjshroomer)
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 11:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in the PNW we have forests of alder, not just a single tree here or there. I went oin to the yaho search enjines and they only showed singular trees. As I noted, when they logg out the forest clearcuts the seeds drop along the roads and they grow as if planted in rows.

In the clear cuts after the burn on the third year, P. pelliculosa starts to fruit by the millions.

This fall I found a gold mine last year ready to fruit this year, buyta again these clear cuts are disappearing.

mj

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: