|Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 11:49 pm:||
Does anyone have any idea if there is a problem with placing the shroomies right on the silica gel? As apposed to on a screen above it? The few that have fallen into the gel by accident seem to have dried faster.
|Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 11:58 pm:||
Fungi, Silica Gel is non toxic...
It is fine to place them directly on the silica gel, but the problem with this is that some silica may stick on or in your shrooms as they dry.. (which would be pretty much like munching on sand)
To dry flowers, they are indeed placed directly into the silica for faster drying.
you know what would work well though? putting your shroomies in a pouch of cheesecloth or something of the like, and burrying that into the silica..
Nanook of the North (Nanook)
|Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 03:07 am:||
I just lay a paper napkin directly on desiccant in a "serv-n-saver" container and then lay fan dried shrooms right on the napkin.
|Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 03:08 am:||
i thought that desiccant was toxic
|Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 04:56 am:||
depends on the desiccant. indicating desiccant is quite toxic.
|Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 07:12 am:||
if you have indicative silica gel, the indicator is toxic. (Cobalt?)
Nanook of the North (Nanook)
|Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 07:35 am:||
Straight up calcium salts (most granular desiccants) such as calcium sulfate and calcium chloride are relatively non-toxic. Eating some may actually contribute to your calcium MDR (but don't eat it, BTW calcium carbonate is preferred as a human dietary suppliment because it does not absorb water). The sulfate and chloride ions are not going to bother you either.
A little is not going to hurt you, just don't deliberately ingest it. Laying down a napkin on some desiccant and cracker drying shrooms over it... Not a problem.
The indicating stuff is another story... Who knows what is in there.
|Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 11:48 am:||
The indicating silica gel (the most commonly used contains a small percentage of cobalt chloride coated particles) is known as being a substantial health risk esp. as a carcinogenic substance...it is being phased out/banned in Europe. There are new indicating compounds available which are organic and non-toxic, but I'm not sure if you can buy them yet.
In any case I would be very diligent in not letting drying mushrooms come in contact with the indicating silica gel.
|Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 06:11 pm:||
It's just a guess but I would assume that the silica gel cat litter would have to be non toxic. I can't imagine all of the animal rights activists letting a product that was harmful if ingested be used for cat litter.
|Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 07:39 pm:||
I have a 1500 gram bag of CargoDry Pak desiccant by Desiccare Inc. It came packaged with a huge UPS. It is in a cloth bag. I was wondering If I could put it in a large bowl as is, then throw shrooms on top of it. DO you cover the container with the desiccant in it or leave it open?
|Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 03:39 am:||
make sure you put a cover on the container.
that silica gel cat litter is non toxic.
silicagel cat litter is the way to go.
find it in any good pet store.
|Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 08:10 pm:||
This is the blub from the Kyjen Company webpage (manufacturer of Space Cat Litter):
"Non-Toxic and Safe
Space Silica Litter is made from sodium silicate which is inert, non-toxic and biodegradable. Sodium silicate is used as an ingredient in the manufacture of many products, including soaps, detergents, and as a food additive. Its safety is unquestioned, and sodium silicate is used to eliminate moisture and protect food, pharmaceuticals and medicines during shipping. Space produces almost no dust, unlike clay litters, which can produce dust and have been known to cause respiratory problems in people and pets."
I also would assume that if it was used for cats and it were dangerous that it wouldn't last long in the pet stores.
Anyway, until they say I can eat it for lunch, I'll just keep a barrier in between my friends and the desiccant.
|Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 03:36 pm:||
Cabal, you do need a cover on the container, and make it as absolutely air tight as possible. Rubbermaid or tupperware, I can't remember which, has some new food storage containers that are unbelievably airtight. They are clear and the lids have a blue rubber edge. I squeeze air out of it when I seal it, and when I open it there is a whoosh of the air coming back in. When I tried with a not-so tight lid, I had a lot of trouble getting things to dry in less than 4 days.
|Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 04:43 pm:||
Any idea how I could make the Rubbermaid container have two screened levels. One for the shrooms and one for the desiccant. I am not sure what to use to accomplish this, any ideas?
|Posted on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 04:57 pm:||
I dump about 3/4" of desiccant on the bottom of the container, then use a cut piece of eggcrate for the 'stand' with a piece of card stock for the shroomies to rest on.
A sheet of eggcrate is about $8, but I used the whole sheet for a variety of things...above the perlite in the terrarium, to compress straw in a tub, and to keep shroomies high and dry in a drying container.
The one tek that says to keep the desiccant elevated to allow water to settle is odd, because in my experience, the stuff on the bottom stays dry, and the stuff on top is what clumps up and gets moist. I wouldn't worry too much about more than the one separation layer.
|Posted on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 02:33 am:||
are freshly picked shrooms much more potent than dried ones and what drying method seems to preserve the most potency?
jack cracker (Cptcracker)
|Posted on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 03:32 am:||
fresh is best, dry on a screen in a cool, well ventilated area for a day or two, then in a large container with desiccant. this is the standard.
i have heard of ppl slightly dicing and covering with honey, pouring off the thin liquid off the top after a day or two... sounds like a good (2000 year old) idea...
ion ewe (Ion)
|Posted on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 07:18 am:||
Freeze drying. Other than that, a high transfer desiccant under a screen in a bowl. Fresh Teachers on screen and whole thing is bagged and vaccuumed to reasonable extent and sealed. Whole apparatus is placed in fridge at a nice cold (NOT FREEZING) temp. Takes about five days, depending on temp. When utterly crispy, remove quickly to a room temp, small, sealable jar (or vacuum sealed freezer bag). Pack in tight! Freeze at least -5 F. Keep it this way until ready to partake. Let UNOPENED container warm up to room temperature. When temp is right (i.e. no more condensation on outside of jar or bag, and only slightly cool when touched) remove amount quickly and replace airspace (jar) with cotton or paper wads or CO2 gas (best) and seal tight. Back to cold dark place...
This method has retained potency of Buddy's for at least 4 years now... test once per year at gram per kilogram ratios. All subjects tested are from same biomass (bed/flush/maturity). Almost as good as freeze dry at about 1/1000th the cost.
Fresh are best, though. Not as potent by weight, of course (fresh mushies are usually about 90% water), but flavor, texture, and un-metabolized psilocin levels are much, much better.
Nanook of the North (Nanook)
|Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 06:56 am:||
Jim Brown: A fan works just fine, people like the dehyrdrators because they have stacking trays that allow easy drying in the moving air...
Personally I made a dryer. I took a 5 gallon bucket, cut a hole in the bottom and mounted a $5.00 surplus high CFM chassis fan in the bottom blowing upwards. I screwed some wooden legs to the bottom to keep it off the floor, and made some stacking screen trays out of some old wire and a roll of plastic screening from the hardware store. Total cost $8.79 plus a couple of hours to build. Fan dry 48-72 hours then pop em over Desiccant in a Desiccator. Works like a Charm.
Dehydrator : Shroom Glossary
Mr. Tambourine Man (Tambourine_Man)
|Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 - 07:10 pm:||
Should shrooms be DRY or PETRIFIED if you know what I mean? Should they be dried until they will dry no more?
|Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 - 07:49 pm:||
i like mine to be "PETRIFIED"... they stay "fresher" longer... from what i understand, if there is any moisture left in the shroom it could rot from the inside out... i fan dry for a day or two and dessicant dry for a few days, then i pop them in the freezer in jars with a little packet of dessicant, until i eat 'em...
|Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 - 08:03 pm:||
Dead on Plink
Drying & Storage
|Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 - 05:03 am:||
a freind of mine on another board said he gets alot of hollow shrooms and they dont dry hard. just a nickel of wisdom....
|Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 07:48 am:||
Big shrooms will dry hard if you dry them properly.To help the BIG hollow ones dry faster just split 'em open a little bit.