Archive through July 20, 2003 Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. OK I'll show ya my rack!: Greenhouse Design Archive through July 20, 2003 Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 08:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheap Rack
I told ya I was going to show my rack!

Roc

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 08:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northern Tools Rack
Ok so it is a cheap rack I got online from http://www.northerntools.com
Maybe I'll show ya my real rack someday but I'll warn ya they ain't what they used to be...

Roc

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 09:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol
i've seen the exact same set-up before, they are sweet.

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 09:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you keep the humidity up in there?

Lights (Bright)
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 10:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing a cool mist?

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 11:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highflyer
Right now i am just mistin things by hand 3 times a day and counting on the cased trays to release humidity... I'll probably toss a tray of wet, bleached soaked perlite on the bottom shelf if I need.

Lights
I have used a coolmist in my tuperware setup but for now am going to see if I get by without one with the rack. My old setup "Roc's Chamber" worked well with the coolmist setup but I mostly do cakes in it.

The cased trays are my 50/50 popcorn/birdseed cased with straight verm. First grow of the equador strain and they are doing well so far. I am trying to really simplify things on this setup and eliminate all the timers, coolmist,etc.
I'll update as things progress.

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 12:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The perilite idea does not work well in these. Just misting everyday should be sufficient if you dont want to get the coolmist. They hold in moisture very well. Did you put a garbage bag or something down underneath the terrarium. I can't really tell from the picture. This aids in humidity retention and keeps the carpet from getting wet.

I would definately suggest the coolmist though. Hook it up to a timer, and you will be one happy man. All you will have to do is pop the casing in there and leave it alone until harvest day. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Where are those pans from that your casings are in?

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 12:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highflyer the pans are my favs from wally world... they are the micowavable Gladware product and come complete with clear lids. I like the heavy thick black non-translucent material and just toss em in the dishwasher to reuse. I use the lid right after moving my popcorn/wbs grains from the qt jars and then pop em off and case after a week to knit and recover.
They have the 6x9 and 9x14 in stock around here. No reaction problems like the old alum cake pans.
Your right I'll probably have to hookup the coolmist and timer but I'll wait and see. Thanks for the tip on the trash bag on the bottom! I'll slip it on kinda like a sock eh? Just got the rack setting on heavy posterboard for now and don't use the bottom shelf for trays... too many contams at floor level.

Roc

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 01:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just lay the garbage bag on the floor and sit the greenhouse on top of it. If the garbage bag will fit around it "like a sock" then that would probably be even better.

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 03:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad Tray
Best trays I've used yet Highflyer.