HE LOVES KARO! Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Liquid Culture: Karo/Honey/Dextrose Q&A HE LOVES KARO! Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

foshizzo (Foshizzo)
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 12:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok my FOAF is a brand new at this and so far is having EXCELLENT LUCK with a few diff teks...
popcorn pint jars, BRF PF 1/2 pint jars, and karo 1/2 pints. The EQ strain that was innoculated on 7/22 is showing signs of tiny mycellium (very small but visible)growing from some spores that "regrouped" after innoculation. The PF jars were innoculated (multispore)a week or so ago with GT and have mycillum the size of a quarter in each. And lastly the popcorn was innoculated this morning (multispore). Will post results but he thinks it will blow away BRF PF TEK. Especially if he uses the karo water... But that will come soon enough. His goal is to toy around with diff teks find what works best and get good prints of the three strains he is toying with. Which by the way are EQ, GT, & TC.

Two things he has noticed:
1.75cc+teaspoon karo works much faster then 100cc+teaspoon karo.
2.Heat the karo very slowly when pressure cooking. I mean leave it on med the whole time.
And dont put weight on till well after the steam is coming out. Otherwise it seems a quick pressure build up raises temps to fast and the karo will carmelize (he carmelized like 6 jars)

by the way the karo is completely clear except for the spores and myc, but how does he see contams? Are they visible?
(prepared in glovebox by the way)

~foshizzo

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 01:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's pretty hard to see several contams, while others are more obvious, esp. yeasts which smell like beer.
you're best bet is to test-fire each batch on a few control jars to see if they are clean before attempting mass inoculations.
congrats on your successes to date.
can you get some pix ?

Zap (Zap)
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 03:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mycotopia: Archives: Contams: In Liquid Culture

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/4327.html?1008283419

if you have not seen that already.

foshizzo (Foshizzo)
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 03:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx guys... my foaf's friend has a cam we are gonna try to upload some pics...
thanx for the link. I think I have read everything since the "melt-down" twice. But I'll look some more. By the way HIPPIE3 that first karo jar he made up that he thought germinated in under 24hrs, (stupid newb) didnt. But this new one is certainly myc.

~foshizzo

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 02:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you might consider getting our cd,
has another 50,000 posts or so from before the 'melt-down'.

foshizzo (Foshizzo)
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 11:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

next thing on his list hippie... thanx again.

~foshizzo

foshizzo (Foshizzo)
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 03:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karo1
my FOAF sent me this pic via e-mail
of that jar you wanted to see hippie.
nice crystal clear jar.
he said he innoculated on 7/22.
strain is EQ.
he mentioned again to me that he is using
75cc distilled water to 1 teaspoon karo.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 03:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looking nice.

foshizzo (Foshizzo)
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 04:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is another. forgot to mention
he said this was innoculated with
1cc spore solution.
karo2

foshizzo (Foshizzo)
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 04:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My FOAF thanks you for the props hippie! It means alot to him coming from you. He would also like to thank mycotopia for making his
summer more fun! By the way hippie any idea how easy it would be to find out the true identity of a person on a forum like this? I mean isnt just talking about this stuff like conspiracy or something? I am not doing anything illegal, I have to much to lose... but is posting this for him bad news or what?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 04:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nah, this is all just hearsay,
a bunch of bullshit artists sitting around lying to each other.
not useable as evidence in any court.
it's what you DO in the real world that matters,
not the trash we talk on the internet.

foshizzo (Foshizzo)
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 08:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok another pic was sent to me today
from my FOAF along with a question...
1.IS THIS GOOD ENOUGH TO MAKE
20cc's innoculum?
or should he wait a few days?
Keep in mind he only needs 2
10cc syringes from this,
but he wants them to colonize fast.
He is not using this liquid culture
for long term storage.
karo3
2.also how much of a "mass" of
mycellium is required for
each 1 pint popcorn jar?
3.Does it even have to be visible?
or is the water good enough?

foshizzo (Foshizzo)
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 08:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again guys!
and can one of the admins.
here please delete those 2
posts above not relevant to this thread?
MYCOTOPIA kicks ass!

foshizzo (Foshizzo)
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 12:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"bump"

foshizzo (Foshizzo)
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 03:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello?! you guys there!?

foshizzo (Foshizzo)
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 05:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok well my FOAF just told me he
got a bit paranoid and threw
EVERYTHING OUT!!! Said it wasnt worth
it or something... but thanks anyways
for trying to help him.
goodbye mycotopia!

<sniff>

~foshizzo

Cozmic (Cozmic)
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 05:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 01:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bummer.
see ya around hopefully.

foshizzo (Foshizzo)
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 04:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks hippie you guys are COOL! FOSHIZZO!
could you still possibly answer the above question for me in case someday he decides
to pick up the hobby again...
1.IS THIS GOOD ENOUGH TO MAKE
20cc's innoculum? (see last pic on thread)
or should he wait a few days?
Keep in mind he only needs 2
10cc syringes from this,
but he wants them to colonize fast.
He is not using this liquid culture
for long term storage.
2.also how much of a "mass" of
mycellium is required for
each 1 pint popcorn jar?
3.Does it even have to be visible? or is the water good enough?
PARANOIA WILL DESTROY YA! IMO my FOAF should grow at his FOAF's house...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: