Various forms of light Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Light » Various forms of light « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

micah (Micah)
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 06:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just curious to know if anyone here has experimented with various forms of light from the spectrum?

Jesse James (Spacecowboy)
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 06:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but from a plant physiology class I learned that a blue light photon (B) will start a plant seed germinating, and a red light photon (R) will stop a plant seed from germinating, or halt it in its earliest stage of germination.

Ex:

R + B = germination
B + R = halted germination
R + B + R = halted germination
B + R+ B = germination

The only light experiment I know for mushrooms is that UV light causes genetic damage, i.e. PF Albino.

Also, indirect light is needed to induce good pinning, which can be seen via Hip’s Neglect (invitro) Tek.

chris rogers (Cripblue)
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 04:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what does all that brb stuff mean?

Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 07:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(B)lue and (R)ed light photons.

Light is a form of electromagnetic enery, which is observed as waves or particles. A photon is a single particle of electromagnetic light energy.

Also the info I posted earlier was INCORRECT, it is actually red and far red light, not red and blue. Sorry for the misleading information (trying to remeber something from a 45min lecture a few years back), but here is a link to what I was trying to put into words:

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~drf1/320_15.htm

and here is a high school experiment that I also found on the web:

http://koning.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/experimenta.html

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 02:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but mushrooms aren't plants,
and spores are not seeds.

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 03:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the first link it mentions that blue light effects fungi:

"Blue light has profound effects on many plants and fungi. In plants there are at least two blue photoreceptors, with a hint of a family on the horizon. The blue photoreceptors control:
phototropism - the bending of plants or fungi towards light..."

Here is something else I just found:

http://www.mold-survivor.com/UTresearchers.htm

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: