Oak Log Ideas... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Oak Log Ideas... Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Ravn Teftin (Ravn)
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 10:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a variation on the Rabbit Straw Log Tek, focusing on shiitake growth. If oak, chestnut, or beech sawdust (corse, small chips) replaced the straw in the tek, and the log were positioned vertically (Diagram to follow), shiitake mushrooms should grow very well...

I'm going to try and obtain some hardwood chips (hopefully oak, chestnut, or beech) and break them up into 1" x 1" pieces. Pasteurize them per RR's tek, and mix / pack them with colonized shiitake popcorn spawn.

I have the spawn colonizing the popcorn, and should be able to find suitable wood chips. I'm going to try making the poly-tube from a 3.5mil plastic drop cloth I bought from wally-world.

My major concern is with the woodchip prep. I plan, as mentioned above, to pasteurize the wood chips. Would I be better off sterilizing them? Does anyone know if wood chips have benificial bacteria like the straw does?

A secondary concern is the local humidity, which is around 30%, my next post will show the method I hope to use to keep internal humidity up...

-RavN

Ravn Teftin (Ravn)
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 11:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oak Log Assembly

This is my idea for an assembly. The standard log (white) is skewerd over a hollow support pipe (green) which has been stuffed lightly with polyfill (Dark Blue). The support plate (purple) holds the weight of the log via the support pipe and has a wire (Yellow) running from each corner of the support plate down to hold the catch basin (Light Blue). The entire assembly is hung from the ceiling via another length of wire (yellow).

The poly-tubing is punctured per the standard Straw Log tek every couple inches to allow airflow. Daily, water / bleach solution (0.25%) is poured through the top of the support tube until is begins to leak into the catch basin, this should provide internal moisture to the log to keep it from drying out in the low humidity (hopefully).

Once invitro growth occurs, the poly-tube is cut top to bottom into 1" ribbons to allow fruit-bodies an outlet while retaining as much moisture as possible.

Any thoughts, warnings? This would be my first attempt at a log, second at shiitake fruiting (first was successfull)...

-RavN

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 11:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not just use a real log? Shiitake grows very well on birch. Use the grain spawn to innoc some wood dowels, then drill a bunch of 5/16" holes in the log and drive the colonized dowels in with a hammer. Cut your logs in late winter/early spring, and let the logs sit for three weeks before innoc'ing them. As for the other idea, I tried an inner resevoir on straw logs and they got contamination down inside the tube. The contam spores can get in there, and the lack of air circulation down in the tube allows the trich to go nuts. Another good tek to use for shiitake is to use wood chips and sawdust in a filter patch bag. After colonization, take the 'block' out of the bag and dunk it. Then set it on a shelf in your grow room and fruit it. Good luck!

Jesse James (Spacecowboy)
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 03:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer to PC my oak sawdust. Since I have been working with sawdust, the only contam I have had problems with have been green mold.

Currently I spawned some colonized (one reshi and one shiitake) rye/wheatbran into some sawdust. I did it a little over two weeks ago. The shiitake looks good, but the reishi is starting to show signs of green on the sawdust.

I have had the green stuff attack my shiitakes before, and interestngly the mycelium grew around it and encapsulated the green with the barking over effect.

Another shiitake grower has told me that it has happened to him before and that the green stuff is still there, just contained for the moment, and that I should isolate it from the rest of my mushrooms.

Ravn Teftin (Ravn)
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 03:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rodger Rabbit:
There are a couple reasons I don't want to use real logs.
First, I don't really want real logs in the house. I want to grow them in my existing grow area, year round, and prefer some type of clean / processed growth media.
Second, I'm not starting from spawn plugs, but a living culture I already have fruiting and spawning on popcorn. The plugs work well for a real log, but spawning a real log from popcorn is out of my capability.
Third, from what i've read on real log growing and sawdust type grows, sawdust seems much quicker with lower yeilds. The real logs take forever to finally fruit, but do so for a much longer time. I hope to have a faster flush by using this method...
Did you try a light bleach solution when watering your logs? How tight was the polyfill inside your support tube?

Jesse James:
So PC the Oak, sounds good.. I was wondering if that wasn't a better idea, just didn't want to kill off any benificial bacteria.
Where and how much do you get your oak sawdust / bran for?
The Mushroom Cultivator mentions a perlite / bran alternative spawn that is supposed to work, does the bran compare to sawdust?

-RavN

Jesse James (Spacecowboy)
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 01:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wheat bran I get from the local feedlot for $6-$7 for a 50# bag. It is mainly a nutrient supplement for the sawdust. The perilite is a type of water super absorbant, or WSA. It helps to increase the size/yeilds of your flushes. I wouldn't use perilite, because it is not good for you. Vermiculite and plant gels also work as WSAs.

I live out towards the countryside, and I get my sawdust pretty much for free. I have also worked out a deal with the local Amish who cut hardwood for lumber; they said I could have as much as I wanted, as long as I pay them to load it into our truck.

I would say your best bet for getting sawdust is to ask around for people who have sawmills in your area. The best time is in the fall/winter when the leaves have fallen, as this is the best time of the year to harvest trees for timber.

Another method of sawdust growing involves wood fuel pellets for wood burning stoves. The sawdust pellets have already been pressure treated, which kills off the enzymes that degrade hydrogen peroxide. Therefore, you can use the hydrogen peroxide tek by Dr. Rush Wayne to eliminate the need for sterile work. Raw sawdust needs to be PC really good before using this Tek.

Depending on where you live will most likely determine the availability of sawdust based substrate material. Here is link that may help you to get your hands on some supplies to get you started:

http://mycomasters.com/Sources.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: