Casing Humidity/Air Exhange Set-Up -... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Casing Humidity/Air Exhange Set-Up - will this work? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

JJ Walker (Lawnshrooms)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 03:36 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all,

Have a few cased beds ready to get into a fruiting environ. I am looking low maintenance, and recently purchased a mini-greenhouse, 4 shelf, as pictured in RogerRabbits straw log teks.

In the mean time, I need to get these bad boys fruiting ASAP. I have set up a sterilized 4 shelf metal hardware shelf (grid racks), covered with heavy duty plastic sheeting. Seal is decent. Some airflow to the room it is in, but that room is a clean room itself (plastic wrap on everything, including the floor, sprayed down with bleach solution daily.). Inside this make shift 4 shelf greenhouse will be a cool mist humidifier (impeller) and a hepa filter. Also thought about placing a terrarium style box on one of the shelves, with perilite in the bottom of this box and a rack on top of the perilite. No cover on the terrarium box - open air to the air inside the mini greenhouse. I can either place the cased bed in this terrarium box, open to the air, or place it on a shelf inside the greenhouse.

Questions -

Where should the hepa be for the best air exchange? Should it be outside of the greenhouse, with tubing going in? Will it circulate enough air for the casing if it inside the greenhouse - constantly recirc'ing that air? I basically want to automate the fanning process. Will it circulate enough air for the casing if the casing is in the terrarium style box, open lid? The box is one of those rubbermaid storage boxes, about 2 feet deep. The cased bed would be about 1.5 feet below the lip of the box. Would the hepa do anything to eliminate the need for fanning in this case? Seems like the stagnant air may stay at the bottom of the terrarium, even with an open lid.

Are impeller cool mist's ok to use? everyone say ultrasonic, but that is too much money!

Thanks for any advice. Might try to post pictures.

JJ Walker (Lawnshrooms)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 04:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erased by me, sorry!

JJ Walker (Lawnshrooms)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 04:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makeshift greenhouse (in the closet, not the box to the left)

The make-shift greenhouse - in the closet area, *not* the box to the left

View of inside
closer view

Another view of the setup, Hepa on the bottom rack, cool mist humidifier on top rack
image of the terrarium box

View of terrarium box with cased bed inside
last view

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 12:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the cool mist should be outside the tent, run in at the top via a flex hose..
impeller types are fine, ultrasonics break down too much, ime.
see http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/7747/29566.html?1060254604 for a similar set-up.

the hepa should go inside, at the bottom where most contams reside.

you'll need a decent hygrometer and some patience to fine-tune the environment until you get it right where you want it, as we don't know how good it seals or circulates.
be sure to have a bright light nearby as the plastic reduces light intensity.

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 01:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stick with the impeller type coolmist... they do just as well and last a lot longer imo.

Roc

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 01:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one note about the kaz coolmist... a new one needs to be broke in, they seem to really start putting out after running a few days. Don't really understand why but thats been my experiance

Roc

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 02:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm...most of my humidifiers always did the exact opposite,
worked ok a few days then crapped out.
i've got a humidifier graveyard out back.

from now on, it's distilled water only,
no tap.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: