Yellow Mycelium?!? - is this normal? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Contams. Yellow Mycelium?!? - is this normal? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Mycophyle (Mycophyle)
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 11:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of my jars have developed yellow coloring in the growth. It's a pale yellowish orangish splotch of mycelium.If amyone can help explain if this is a contam or normal coloring, I would be very grateful.

Erebus (Debremus)
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 12:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like mycelial waste to me, which is normal. Watch it in case it grows but it shouldn't.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 12:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shroom piss.
is it hot there ?
very common, relatively harmless.

Mycophyle (Mycophyle)
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 12:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's around 82 degrees. Is that to high? I was going to move them to a cooler closet in my house as soon as they were fully colonized, should I move them now?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 12:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nah, you'll be ok, let 'em finish then cool 'em down some.

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 02:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could also be water damage....

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 02:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

indeed, from the waste water.

Mycophyle (Mycophyle)
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 07:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the water damage and waste?! Whats that? Remember Hip, my jars on the bottomb layer in the PC took in some water. There are some saturation areas where the myceliun stoped- so far as I can tell. Here are some pics 1234

Mycophyle (Mycophyle)
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 08:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

saturated areas that the mycelium stops abruptly.
However in one jar the mycelium continues to grow on the other side (2nd pic). The last pic is of a jar with no saturation spots visible and it's the most yellow of them all. Could this be water damage from the water waste? and what is that? I suppose I should look it up in the archives....can't wait for the mycoCD. Thanks for any feedback, and i'll look up the water waste issue tommorow.

Alien (Alien)
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 08:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had this problem with some test runs I did for Ryche. I was incubating at 80 - 82, and its humid here at this time of year. This time of year one only needs to room incubate jars depending on where you live. The humidity is so high in the summer.

Some of the orange can turn pink, I removed from incubator to room temp (73 deg) then also removed the lids only allowing the verm layer exposed. I did this for a few days then placed the lids back on but loosely.

I would only do what I did if you get to about 60% colonization, that way the uppermost is more resistant to contams.

Hope this helps.

Alien

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 01:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep, water damage, mycellia drowning.
it's doubtful those jars will finish ok.

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 01:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loosen the lids and flip em upside down... give em a week or so before ya toss em.

Roc

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: