Lysol replacement - Surface steriliza... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Contams. Lysol replacement - Surface sterilization Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

JRK (Godfetish)
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 04:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lysol is getting out of hand with their pricing...

Currently, the price of a large can of Lysol Original Scent, which I have used long before I even started with this hobby, is $5.69us at my local market. Presumably it is a little lower at WalMart or Meijer's, but enough is enough.

The last couple years I haven't been using it as much as when I started because I found a replacement for surface disinfection that does not require the use of bleach. I've always though the smell of bleach was noxious and beyond that, it's detrimental to my wardrobe. The price is also much lower in the long run, poses little threat to the environment like Lysol cans or your septic tank like strong bleach solutions that often just get dumped instead of saved.

Get yourself a quart size sprayer that will do a superfine mist. The ones I buy are from garden centers and are often used by orchid growers and produces a micronized spray.

Next get a large bottle of Listerine or generic version of this medicine tasting mouthwash. Not mint, the original brown colored liquid is the only option.

Sometimes I mixed in rubbing alcohol, but seeing a medical review of sanitizers showed the lack of potency of rubbing alcohol in sterilizing solutions. It can take up to 15 minutes to sterilize with even the most pure alcohol...it evaporates before it can sterilize on a flat surface!

Sterilization Solution Recipe

28.5oz distilled warm water(alternative is 20oz water and 8oz rubbing alcohol but I found no difference is usefulness)
2.5oz Listerine
1/2 tsp Ivory or other "natural" dish soap, glycerin soap is the best but not every pharmacy sells it
1/2tsp salt
4 drops of tincture of iodine(forgot this in first post)

Pour all ingredients into a 32oz sprayer bottle, and replace sprayer handle. Do not vigorously shake the bottle, but slowly invert and roll it until the salt disipates into solution.

This will kill 99% of contaminents within less than a minute and be ready to be wiped up.

Where did I learn all of this nifty info? The Tattoo Shop...that is a legal sterilizer solution for skin prep before/during applying a tattoo in at least the two states where I have had them done.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 12:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's named after good old doctor joseph lister.
did you know he invented one of the very first antiseptics ?
carbolic acid, used in early surgury.
listerine was also originally intended as a surgical wash.
nice post.

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 12:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another alternative, which I use is Lysol Concentrate. Just dilute the concentrate with water into a spray bottle. The small bottle of concentrate will last forever.

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 01:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice info!

Roc

new_shroomin_guynyc (Jay)
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pretty cool post. I live in a big city so the price for a 18 oz lysol can is close to 10 dollars. This will ave me in the long run since I can get most of this stuff for free.

Jay Martin (Jaytrippin)
Username: Jaytrippin

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey just want to put out a "thanks" for this post to JRK. never heard of it before. I went out today and bought everthing at my local Myco-mart. cost me less that $7. Should be enough to make a few gallons of sanitizer. Could not find glycerin soap though. even got a weird look from the pharmacist. oh well ivory should work, right? Thanks again

JRK (Godfetish)
Username: Godfetish

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Ivory will do. It's what I'm using right now =)

loosid (Loosid)
Username: Loosid

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how does this mixture compare to a 10% bleach (with some soap as a wetting agent)

thanks
loosid
Anything I post is relating strictly to legal, edible mushroom. I have nothing to do with any prohibited substances, plants or mushrooms.

Jay Martin (Jaytrippin)
Username: Jaytrippin

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 05:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. thanks again JRK. did not expect such a rapid response

JRK (Godfetish)
Username: Godfetish

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This mixture is better than bleach, IMHO. It stinks much less and is not as damaging to your surroundings. It should have the scent of the listerine, but very weak.

It uses a multi-part solution to kill almost every known pathogen. Whether it is the lowly salt, the basic nature of the soap, the actually high dose of Iodine(4 drops in 32oz is actually quite strong), or the additives in the listerine, it will do the job on contact. If this don't kill it, bleach won't and alchohol certainly won't. Short of a flamethrower, anything that withstands this mix needs more studying.

Sweetness (Sweetness)
Username: Sweetness

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thread. I always spray my arms and hands once I put gloves on and right b4 I put them in the gb. I've started wearing long sleeves because if I don't wash right away afterwards or if I'm working too long, I break out from Lysol. Goes away as soon as I wash but still.
I hate the smell of bleach but keep it on hand for laundry and cleaning.
This is a great alternative. Thanks JRK

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 6546
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 05:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually bleach is just about the most effective microbe killer known to man, even NASA still uses it to disinfect space probes so to avoid contaminating other planets when our probe lands.
it will even kill anthrax, something i doubt listerine is up to.
still, this is a good thread which deserves to be archive material.
i'm sure many don't care much for bleach.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

sprout roots dao (Sproutlocs)
Username: Sproutlocs

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but the remaining vector in question is does this solution disinfect the air? Oust is also pricey

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 6559
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the trick to disinfecting the air is more the particle size of your mist.
it must be a very fine mist to knock all the contams out of the air and kill them.

loosid (Loosid)
Username: Loosid

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 08:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you think adding 10% bleach to the mixture would make it more effective? or is that just bring stupid?

mostly want to know if the bleach will react with anything in the mixture (like that salt)

tincture of iodine?
that is just the regular iodine that you find in like a 4 ounce bottle next to the rubbing alcohol?

thanks
loosid
Anything I post is relating strictly to legal, edible mushroom. I have nothing to do with any prohibited substances, plants or mushrooms.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 6565
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 12:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

proly not a great idea to mix bleach with anything but water.
unless you know your chemistry well enough to forsee interactions.
toxic fumes might result.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: