Eatyualives Lazy Mofo Bag Tek Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Eatyualives Lazy Mofo Bag Tek Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Lazy Mofo Bag QuestionmamahuhuBen Stein6 1 10-02-03  05:39 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eatyualives Lazy Mofo Bag Tek

posted by 'eatyualive'

quote:

first of all i want to say this tek is for newbs who have problems with grain or are too lazy. this is also for people who only have one pf jars worth of mycelia. 1 jar can easily turn into 100 in a 2 weeks time. this basically is spawning with brf using ziplocs and no flowhood!!!!!!!

a foaf had 1 pf jar and turned it into 25 bags in 2 weeks. that is 100 jars worth of substrate from 1 pf jar. now, take into consideration g2g(grain to grain transfers) with the limitations of this tek. a friend did this for 2 months straight with no contamination, however the foaf would highly suggest after 2-3 transfers or 1 month renewing the mycelia from either multispore inoc or agar transfer to wbs or rye berry and then doing it again. now that or just use brf with multispore.

materials
1. 1 colonized pf jar
2. 4 uncolonized but pced sterile pf jars.
3. 1 ziplock bag
4. 1 needle

procedure:

1. clean your work area using alcohol and lysol. typically, wear a mask and gloves and sterilize the air with lysol as well as a hepa filter. take note this tek requires no touching of the substrate!
2. get 4 uncolonized jars and 1 colonized jar and turn them upside down and pat them until they are loose from the jar.
3. open lids and dump off excess verm layer then dump 4 uncolonized cakes into ziploc with colonized bag.( this needs to be done very quickly, less airtime the less chance for contams)
4. now seal ziploc and crunch up all cakes, making sure the colonized cake gets spread evenly throughout the bag. this way colonization takes place quickly.
5.LASTLY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY POKE HOLES USING A NEEDLE! use a small sewing needle so that a few holes are poked along the top of the ziploc. and MAKE SURE your incubation room is very sterile.
6. let incubate for 3-6 days and full colonization occurs. no shaking necessary.
included below are some pics. the first is 1 day after incubation, the second is 3 days after incubation. this is an incredible discovery in brf. it is a simple newb way of multiplying spawn ten fold in 2 weeks. all you have to do is keep making brf jars. and then renew inoculations once a month or every few weeks.
here is a pic a the next day after spawning

here is a pic 3 days after spawning

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

more commentary

Quote:

the real key to this is the air exchange. if you don't poke the holes you get some soure smelling bags after a few days.

yes, you use the contents of pf jars. you would still have to make the jars but you don't have to multispore inoculate so often.

Quote:

multispore takes to long to colonize a large substate like this. it may encounter contams easier this way. this is similar to spawning and you want to colonize the bag asap. so 3-4 day colonization is key and ideal!

mycotopian the foaf uses flatcake tek, linked at the bottom of this reply. here are some updates updateshttp://www.nansnook.com/forum/index.php?s=67531076a55e7d20de6cbbc865ba97dd&act=SF&f=32

now this tek is similar to hippies bag tek. a foaf has tried hippies tek a few times. it is different in that you use hippies to inoculate the substrate and this is like spawning. the foaf had one bag do very well on hips bag tek but the rest contamed. brf isn't really ideal for shaking as you would do to grain to spread the colonized kernals and the foaf thinks this is the downfall of hip's tek. not to knock his tek bc it is a great idea and the basis for this tek. one problem my foaf encountered was moisture content. either too much or too little and it is hard to judge in large amounts of brf like this. using the jars makes it simpler in that you have a little leeway on moisture content.

now this tek was invented by a a foaf. it is something that just happened and worked and i thought i would share it with everyone.

now the basic idea of any incubation chamber is to make it sterile so no foreign contams enter. this is why the tek works so well bc it is kept in a sterile room or box during incubation.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

here are some pictures of the bags in effect!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

)the bags come sterile. my foaf hasn't had any problems!
2) they can be made into flatcakes or birthed straight from the bags like fatbags.

and it has been tested out by pros meau being one of them. and some other foaf's. i would consider a pro to be someone who can cultivate more advanced mushies than cubies including use of bulk substrates, agar work, and others. many people are having luck with this tek.

2 downfalls why people fail!

1. they do not follow the exact directions and put their own 2 cents in.
2. they do not use sterile technique and the moisture content of their jars is all fucked up!

for moisture content information and recipes and pictures check this link.
http://www.nansnook.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=32&t=4913&s=288c9fbfcfcd2796a8ccaa7351dd64a4

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did i forget to say
archive material ?

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 05:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another picture of a colonized bag.

Bag

Jesse James (Spacecowboy)
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 03:29 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about baking vermiculite to kill the contamination present.

Next, use the baked vermiculite to make up PF substrate using peroxide water, and skip the PCing.

Lastly, immediately after the raw PF substrate is mixed up, spawn it with a colonized cake.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 02:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that would likely work,
assuming sterile transfers.
but it would have to colonize fast,
so i'd spawn heavily.

psycho naut (Xochipilli2012)
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 09:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tried this tek with 4 rye quart jars in a gallon ziplock,mixed in some colinized corn and 3 days later found cobweb mold on 3 of my 4 bags.scooped the mold out in front of my flowhood,and sprayed a little bleach water in the bags ,shook the grain and put them in a rubbermaid bin again to colinize.the mold grew in areas where the other bags pressed against each other even though I aired out the bin once a day.maybe I should air them out 2 or 3 times a day.maybe punching a whole in the bag,and adding polyfill or glueing filter disks would work a little better remembering to place tape with some wholes poked on it over the poly or filters for air exchange.I will leave the bags as they are(with tiny wholes poked at the top of the bags) and will post the results as soon as they either colinize or contam.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 03:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try punching a pencil-sized hole and plugging it with polyfil

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 06:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

today ,2 of the four bags contamed with cob web mold.the corn i used did'nt recover in time to colinize and beat the mold.in a couple of days I will try agian(rye in gallon ziplocks,with colinized corn,and a whole with polyfill with tape over).now my question is do I have to pasturize the polyfill,or would soaking in rubbing alcohol be enough.since ziplocks melt in the pc.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 07:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

first, dig out your corn and let it recover 24 hours [under foil] in a tray before trying to use it as spawn.
next, use alot more corn as spawn, the key to success here is speed so more corn finishes faster = better odds.
the polyfil can be saturated with peroxide, safer than alcohol.

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 08:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx for the advice.

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 06:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well the all the bags I made contaminated with cobweb mold.so taking hippies advice i made some more bags in front of my flowhood.

got 1 gallon ziplock bags and poked a hole with a pen (cleaned with rubbing alcohol)towards the top of the bag.then i soaked some polyfill in peroxide,squeezed most of it out,put the polyfill in the bag and pulled it through the hole till it felt kind of tight.i closed the bag and then completely covered the polyfill on the outside with packaging tape and carefully poked 7 holes with a clean needle.

I made 6 bags and put colinized corn in them.all this in front of my flowhood.I let the mycelium recover for two days and then put about four quart jars of rye in each bag (that i had pc'd two weeks earlier,with regular lids/no holes.)they have been incubating for four days now and no signs of contams they look perfectly healthy!the ziplocks with polyfill and tape work great!thought I would share this with you guys.next I think I might try a bag of hominy straight out of the can.sorry theres no pics but I can't find the software to my camera.

nilla (Nilla)
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 07:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sprout roots dao (Sproutlocs)
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 07:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I noticed there is plastic around the cakes is it under them or over them and would this acted as casing?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 01:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

far out, psycho-naut,
glad it worked out.
hominy will surely work, too, so go for it.

sprouts, plastic is no substitute for a casing.
the plastic you see above is just under the cakes, unsure exactly why but i'm guessing he just cut open the bags and placed them like that to avoid moving/breaking them.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: