Corn Starch Liquid Mycelium Culture Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Liquid Culture: Karo/Honey/Dextrose Q&A Corn Starch Liquid Mycelium Culture Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Alien Primate (Alienprimate)
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 05:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

I posted this over at the Shroomery and thought I'd share it here also.

A guy I used to know has had great luck using corn starch as the nutrient source in the liquid mycelium tek.

Fill a jar about 2/3 full with cold water(this guy's preference) and put about 1/2 a tablespoon or 1 teaspoon of corn starch in it. Puncture the lid of the jar towards one side of the edge so that one can tip the jar easily to get the last juicy goodness out with a syringe. Cover the hole in the lid and shake the jar vigorously to thouroughly mix the corn starch in. It is important to use cold water becouse the corn starch mixes better in the water than if one were to use warm or hot water. Cover the lid with your own personal choice of contaminate prevention techniques as in the mycelium culture tek. The guy I know just covers the lid with aluminum foil and has never had a problem with contams. Pressure cook the jar at 15 psi for 20-30 minutes. Let cool to room temperature and inject spores into the jar through the hole in the lid by carefully peeling up the aluminum foil.

Let the jar sit for a few days, and then shake it up every few days by pressing the hole in the lid closed through the aluminum foil. One will notice that the corn starch tends to clump. Don't let this be alarming, it is a natural part of using corn starch. The jar should be ready to start innoculating other media after two weeks. At this point, store the jar in the refrigerator. Do not attempt to use this jar to innoculate another liquid culture jar, because the vigor of the mycelium suffers through time and if it is even able to colonize substrate it will fruit poorly if at all.

The guy I know who has done this has had great success several times. He told me that there are pros and cons of doing this over the traditional honey/corn syrup or other sugar based nutrient sources.

Cons-
Corn starch is white and it tends to clump, thus making it difficult to discern how much mycelium is actually in the liquid culture. Also, white contams like cobweb would be virtually impossible to find other than through smell.

Pros-
The corn starch does not carmelize, so over-cooking it is not an issue. The corn starch seems to be more forgiving than sugars like honey when it comes to contams. Of the several times this guy has used this method, the only time it became contaminated was when a bad syringe was used.

Whether the pros outweigh the cons or not each person will have to decide, but I thought I'd share this. It's the only thing the guy uses for his liquid culture anymore.

Take care!

Alien Primate

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 08:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting.
also new.
thx for sharing,
might just have to test this one out.

Zap (Zap)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 01:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

things that make you go hmm...

yah ill have to give it a try, sure i will go back to kero

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 02:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just as a side note, something I thought I'd add here is that around six years ago, give or take several months, when this guy I know first heard about liquid culture, he tried honey but his conditions were not what you would call "ideal" where sterility is concerned. So it became contaminated. In the next batch he used corn starch and has stuck with it ever since. Given, if you have great luck with honey or corn syrup there is no reason to use anything else, but as many of you probably know, once you get something that works you tend to stick with it, and that's why this guy that told me about corn starch continues to use it.

Something else I want to say is that although in this guy's experience corn starch seems to be more forgiving when it comes to contams, this statement is by no means absolute or proven. Its just an anecdotal observation. He didn't have much luck the two or three times total he used honey, but every time he used corn starch everything was golden, so to speak.

If anyone else tries it post somewhere around here and let me know what you think!

Thanks for reading.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 6661
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 02:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

Username: Alienprimate

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 05:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,

This guy I know sent me over another pic to share with you guys. It further documents the use of corn starch, straight from the box, as a nutrient source for the liquid culture tek. Follow this link for details on the Corn Starch "tek." http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/31251.html?1064673936

This pic also demonstrates successful use of a liquid culture about two months after it was innoculated. I was told the strain is Golden Teacher. I hope you enjoy.

Upload

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: