How to wire a squirrel cage blower fa... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. » How to wire a squirrel cage blower fan for flowhood « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

JJ Walker (Lawnshrooms)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Need a little electrical expertise here. Just bought a 3 speed squirrel cage blower fan for my flowhood. It has three wires coming out of it (actually coming out of transformer type thing on the fan - the fan itself has several different wires that go into this, but there are only 3 control wires). The wires are red, black and white. My assumption is that red and black are the pos and negative, while white controls the speed. The fan is rated for 120v, as is my house.

I think I need an 3 way switch for the white lead, and red and black to a simple 120v cord.

Thoughts?

Picture to come.

Jesse James (Spacecowboy)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red +
Black -
White is grounded

JJ Walker (Lawnshrooms)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fan

fan

The wires
wires

All the wires
wires2

Thanks again!

jimmy jublanski (Zoomerhead)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry to say this but i don't think jesse james is right. white is not typically a ground wire (in this country) it is normally green or just a bare copper wire. i want to check this out first before i tell you anything, so rather than tell you something wrong i won't say anything at all. i'll get back to this or see if rodger answers...he's good at that stuff by trade.

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Green is usually the color for a ground, black is usually the color for negative, and red is usually the color for positive. I have seen positive being white, but when a red and black wire are already present then the the third lead power source wire is usually grounded.

...but I could be wrong, from the pictures it looks grounded to me. I would think that a flow control would be located somewhere else.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That looks like a typical furnace fan. It appears to be a two speed fan and not three speed. It should work great for your flow hood. White is neutral. There is no positive and negative wire with AC current. Make sure the nameplate says it's for 120 Volts AC. Use a grounded cord and plug. Connect the green wire from your cord to the chassis of the motor. (just find any mounting screw you can stick the green wire under) Connect the white wire from the cord to the white wire on the motor. The red and black wires from your motor are the high and low speed. Connect the other wire from your cord (usually black) to either the red OR black wire from your motor. Tape the end of the motor wire you don't use, so it won't short out. The small metal 'can' you see on the side is the capacitor. Make sure the connections to it are snug, and that it is secure so it won't short out.

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 05:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man, I was way off, I need to bookmark this thread for when I pick up my blower from Grainger’s.

How much did your blower cost Lawnshrooms?

JJ Walker (Lawnshrooms)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 06:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The blower was purchased on ebay. With Shipping and handling, it was $55. Ebay blows grainger away for prices; however, items are usually used.

This one blows about 1800 cfm, which is more than sufficient.

I also managed to pick up a 24 x 24 x 12 hepa for $70 w/ shipping and handling. Excellent!

Thanks again for all the help.

I read on the fan the instructions for wiring for three speeds - it basically requires a "hacK" of the wiring. RR was right - the fan is your typical two speed fan.

black dog (Blackdog)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 05:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJ Walker--rodger rabbit is right do the wiring his way.

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 06:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the specs, I have a Graingers Store in town, but will compare prices to Ebay to.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: