Some glovebox pix Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. Some glovebox pix Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 08:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heres some pix of a glovebox my friend made today. It is a posi pressure box.
The hepa air purifier was purchased at walgreens. kinda on the pricey side (52 smackers) but it's got an ionizer and the whole bit.
anyways, it's mounted on the top upside-down. and a cigarette pack-sized square is cut in the the top and i used duct tape as you can see to seal the deal.
I just taped heavy duty guage garbage bag (black) on the bottom. anything i need to get in the glovebox fits through the arm holes.
now i can finally put those damn prints to use! woohoo!
1 1

1 1

Faht

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 08:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks nice faht.

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 08:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do believe a 'chat class' is in the works for gloveboxes, so if you have a good idea for one or would like to find out more tips on making one, stay tuned. ridder? anymore info in this class yo? Im guessing the edited transcript of that class will be posted here, no?

faht

ridder (Ridder)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 08:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awesome faht, great job. pics came ot better than you expected? :)

when we do the posi pressure glove box the transcript will definltely be posted here. don't have a date yet got to figure that one out with the group. but man awesome job! your class will be killer :)

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 08:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 01:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd test that on a few spare jars, etc. before i got too happy. just to be sure.

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 07:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you see a flaw hip, or are you just being safe?

faht

Roc (Rochester)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 09:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always do a safety check before risking much work imo.

Roc

Machine (Machine)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 09:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good work faht..Looks like it would be a little top heavy though. As long as the cfm is high enough and you can feel a good breeze coming out the arm holes it should work well. Ionizer is useless in this application though.

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cfm?? whats that stand for? odorless air is always a plus imo. As for the top heavy thing... yeah a little but seems to be nice and stable when in use. I was lookin at it and i may just turn it 180 degrees and cut slots so the switches are accessible from the inside and seal that up with caulk or something.

faht

Jorneyer (Jorneyer)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cubic Feet per Minute (of air moved) so higher CFM means more air moving

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx Journeyer, i did some smoke tests with it. works good. that little thing can blow some air. thing better for 52 bucks.

faht

Dunno Yet (Dunnoyet)
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

really nice, faht! look forward to a class on this.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

many of those type hepas you get at the drugstore are poorly constructed and sealed and often allow unfiltered air past the vent, potentially ruining your work.
be sure to test it.

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:30 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx for the heads up.

Faht

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice work. My observation is that no matter how clean you get your hands, skin cells constantly fall off, and these are a source of contamination. With a flow hood, they are blown back and away from your work. In a positive pressure glove box, dirty air from outside can't get in, but there is considerable 'turbulence', and this will tend to knock the contaminants off your hands and arms. I'd get a set of extra large janitor gloves duct taped or glued around your holes. Just wearing surgical gloves won't cut it, because the contams will fall off your arms too.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know, I got to thinking. I'm wondering if you could take one of those inexpensive hepa filters like that, and with duct tape and a few fittings from the HVAC section at Lowe's, route the air up and to your work table to give you a poor man's flow hood.

Machine (Machine)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Positive pressure gave me alot of problems. In the end sealing the box up proved to work the best on my box. It seems like the positive pressure box only works well if the air is piped in from the back like a flow hood. When it comes in the the side contams are blown around inside the box instead of out and toward you.

I've been working on that very same idea, roger rabbit. I'm trying to build a light weight flow hood using a cheap hepa filter. It's sort of a "suit case flow hood" that can be closed and stored away easily.

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 03:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like lunchlady gloves it is! I checked it before i installed it, looks to be built nicely. the blower fan chasis is a single piece so cracks are not there and the hepa filter has a nice rubber seal on it.

faht

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 09:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just to be sure i went and tape up any 'seal lines' on the purifier, upon further inspection there was a tiny crack at one point so again thanx for the heads up.

faht

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a tiny crack is enough to let billions of microbes and contam spores thru.
also check inside the hepa box to see that all air is going THRU the filter and that none can get around the filter. try blowing some smoke into it, none should come out.

ridder (Ridder)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 03:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gee where will a forum full of potheads find smoke? :)

faht (Fahtphish)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 10:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, i went through the entire purifier centimeter by centimeter and boy, no wonder they say 99% filtration. holes galore! so now the thing looks like a big roll of duct tape. I tape the controls and LCD lights (used masking tape for the LCD's so i could still see if it was on).
I taped the filter on air tight and all. nothing is getting into my glovebox without talking to Mr. Hepa first!
And if one does use a heavy duty plastic bag for the bottom like i did, I would suggest taping around the top of the rim a few times over as too much moving around on the table causes little holes where the bin and table meet.
I think ive got 'er licked tho. I did save a print that i didn't use the first time i tried this glovebox, (faht wipes his forehead and lets out a big whew) and i plan on making that one tonight now that i have my lunchlady gloves and my hepa filter figured out.
Thanx yall for the advice.

faht

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good thing you double-checked eh ?
i never trust those hepas since i learned the hard way trying that myself a couple years ago.
but i'd advise using a silicon or epoxy to seal instead of tape. sticky tape can trap and hold many contams.

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 02:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could also cover the hole where the air comes in with a dustmask. That acts as an extra filter.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 07:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just be sure you're getting good airflow thru any filter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: