Homemade spawn bags [ mycobags ] and ... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Homemade spawn bags [ mycobags ] and Cheap sealer Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 27, 2003Hippie3brainbreath20 1 08-27-03  04:19 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

brainbreath (Newbie3)
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 04:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW I have that exact sealer, Hip-works great

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 03:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's nice to know, thx.
now if it would just get here.

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 05:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, stephen,
there are problems if one omits an air hole.
first, expansion of air as the bag heats can rupture/burst it so a hole lets pressure escape.
+++++You seal the bag after PC when cool.+++++
second, in jars, omitting the air holes will cause a vacuum to form as the jar cools. thus when the vacuum is broken, by injecting the spores, etc. the pressure difference sucks stuff into the jar/bag, potentially contaminating it.+++++Lids are placed on rubber seal edge side "UP"...and band is not tightened but put on loose for PC. Tighten band after PC when cool.+++++
so while adding a filtered hole is a bit of a hassle/risk, in general it beats the alternative.
+++++When done right, no holes mean no contamination. And I know, when people find a way that works good for them, they stick to it. Just thought I would share the "No Hole" thing because mushroom mycelium can get by just fine during the early stages of growth, without much air. It is during these early stages, contamination gets in.
If I am not using filters on my jars, it just feels good knowing that the project is locked out of the outside world, until I open it again for use. Hey Hippie, get the ION yet? slp/fmrc

Machine (Machine)
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 05:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't sealing the bag after PC allow contamination to enter? I mean without the benefit of a flowhood. Also, how would you PC several open bags without the substrate spilling?

Without a large flowhood all of this seems risky.

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 07:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bags I use have only one end open. I twist this end and snap a rubber band on it. This allows for inside pressure to escape. I sit the bags upright. I allow them to cool inside the PC. When I take them out, I fold the twist a couple of times to seal it off, and then clamp or put another rubber band on it.
I also work under an ION, but done as written, not much chance of something getting in.....until you open or puncture the bag. Still trying to make this hard I see.....big grin. I love you guys....."corners of mouth cracking grin". slp/fmrc

Cygnus X 1 (Rufusdelta)
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 10:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful thread!!! Just what I was looking for, got to love Mycotopia!!!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 02:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we figure there's more than one way to skin a cat, etc.
and so we cover a wide variety of methods,
letting each choose what suits them
rather than just covering one perfect way.
but i have seen your method, stephen, and variants thereof are already here in the archives.
just bought a big fat bag of rubber bands not too long ago for just such purposes.
but i've never used a sealer, and i figure it'll be handy around the kitchen so hey, why the hell not ? i'm a curious sort of fellow.
plus, it's the constant flow of info that makes this place hum along, if i weren't on about this it'd be something else.

btw, the ionizer arrived.
looks good.

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 05:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you got the ION. Looks good.....wait until you go hunting. To keep the white filter in new shape, take it off and put a paper hand towel over the base. Snap the holder down to hold it on like the filter paper. It does not filter anything, but your contaminants will collect on it because of the magnetic forces going on. Your eyebrows are going to jump way up on your head when you see what that thing is taking out of the air! Don't have too much fun.
slp/fmrc

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thx for the tip.
any more pointers ?
how fast does it work, i.e. how long after turning it on before it's 'safe' to do sterile work in the area.
do you let the breeze blow right on your work ?

JRK (Godfetish)
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 02:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Latest tests on using these bags have been failing...LOTS. They are just shriveling up, blowing out at the sides. Sadly I wasted almost an entire bag of verm I was sterilizing last night even after sealing the sides. This didn't happen with my first batch of tests...but these latest rolls of bags just fall apart and fuse together at 240 degrees and my PC gets to 251. I'm just ordering large Mycobags from now on I think for bulk cultivation. =/

As for neoprene, and I am sorry for the delayed reply, you can get neoprene fabric from the standard fabric shops. About $20-30 a yard...maybe be under trade names Neoprene, Neoprine, or Neoprin. Phone first, not all of them carry it...my first neoprene was from car seat covers but it was too porous and I found a bolt with about 2 yards on it for 5o% off at a local one. Other sources are knee/ankle braces in pharmacies, but my bro wouldn't let me chop up his custom $1800 knee brace he never uses laf =)

Blue Elf (Blueelf)
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 07:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may have been said before but...

I got a cool handheld heat sealer from eBay for only $12 ($7US). A great cheaper alternative to those larger and more expencive models.

BlueElf

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 01:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

godfetish,
did you change bag source ? i know the high density ppe bags are recommended, low density will melt in a pc.
thx for the tip on fabric store, i'd have never thought of that.

blue elf, i gave $30 for mine on ebay, still a good price for new in the box.
but i do think i'll get additional plastic from a different source, their rolls are a bit too expensive.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: