Wild Blue Mushroom Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Wild Blue Mushroom Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Sea of Weed (Jrok)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 05:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the state park recenly and I descoverd a wierd looking light blue mushroom.
the top was white with lite blue streaks,but when I opened it up it had a water color Bright blue or ink pen blue that was dripping on my shoe.It even stained my fingers...My Question is what kind waz it? caz I couldnt find another one...8(

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 08:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably an inky cap.

Miraclet (Miraclet)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)

"Probably an inky cap."

Ditto

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not magic.
foul and nasty.

Erebus (Debremus)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ink
Coprinus atramentarius: The Inky Cap

The Inky Cap is one of our most frequently encountered mushrooms. It can be distinguished from similar mushrooms by its tendency to grow in clusters on stumps and logs, its gray to grayish brown cap that may be smooth or slightly scruffy but has no mica-like granules, and its gills, which are soon black and eventually liquify, creating the "ink" that gives the mushroom its common name. The similar Coprinus micaceus has a brown to amber brown cap that is usually prominently grooved and covered, at least when young, with granules.

Although the Inky Cap is a popular edible, roughly 20 people a year (in North America) get sick enough from eating it to require medical attention (Nelson, 2001). The mushrooms contain coprine, a toxin similar to disulfiram, the ingredient in the drug Antabuse, given to alcoholics. Like Antabuse, the Inky Cap produces no ill effects--unless one consumes alcohol, which will trigger nausea, vomiting, rash, dizziness, and so on. Theoretically, the Inky Cap is a safe edible if no alcohol is consumed for about five days. However, there is evidence that the alcohol "consumption" can be as little as smelling rubbing alcohol or perfume! All in all, the mushroom is best avoided; I don't recommend the Inky Cap as an edible.

Description:

Habitat: In clusters; on decaying wood (the wood may be buried, causing the mushrooms to appear terrestrial); spring, summer, and fall (sometimes in winter!); frequently urban, but also found in woods; widely distributed.

Cap: 3-16 cm and oval when young, expanding to broadly convex, up to 10 cm, sometimes with a curled up and/or tattered margin; lead gray, grayish, or gray-brown; smooth or slightly scruffy, especially at the top; grooved/lined or (more commonly) merely faintly so; without the mica-like granules typical of Coprinus micaceus.

Gills: Attached to the stem or free from it; whitish, becoming black; deliquescing (turning to black "ink"); close or crowded.

Stem: 8-15 cm long; 6-12 mm thick; equal; smooth or finely hairy; white; fibrous; hollow; sometimes with remnants of a partial veil.

Flesh: White to pale gray throughout; thin; soft.

Spores: 6.5-10.5 x 4-6.5 µ; elliptical; smooth; black in deposit.

Source: http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/coprinus_atramentarius.html

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 02:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thx, erebus.
nice.

Sea of Weed (Jrok)
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 03:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That looks nothing like it...Thanx tho

Sea of Weed (Jrok)
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe it was , but smaller?

Jesse James (Spacecowboy)
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lactarius indigo

http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/lactarius_indigo.html

Jesse James (Spacecowboy)
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/lacind.html

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pretty shroom.
thx, jesse.

Sea of Weed (Jrok)
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 03:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are the ones Ive seen...Looks kinda like a exotic shroom...Would love 2 hav some in my backyard:)
:)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: