Ants in a cake Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Fungus gnat & insect control Ants in a cake Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Sea of Weed (Jrok)
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 03:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Checked a couple of really slow cakes and found Fire ants crowling in it...I said DAMM. I think Im ganna just toss the jars...FUCK with te Fire Ants!!!

Sea of Weed (Jrok)
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 03:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 04:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a new one.

sounds like your lids need covers.

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 11:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like a nasty plague
i checked a link on them and this is what they said on controlling the ants , not native to the usa and therefore practically without predators

This leads us nicely to the question of how we can control this menace. The principal goal of control is to kill the entire colony of the ants, and their nests may go as deep as six feet into the soil. Just spraying some chemical onto the top of the mound, or dusting a little into the top of the colony, probably will not work. Instead, RIFA abatement professionals are relying heavily on Bait - essentially, toxic food that is offered to the foraging worker ants, in the hopes they will find it, like the taste of it, and feed it around to all the members of the colony.

RIFA is very fond of oils, particularly peanut and soybean oil, and this food ingredient is mixed with either a toxic stomach poison or a growth regulator, placed onto corn cob granules, and sprinkled over areas the ants are foraging in. The oil must be fresh, as rancid oil really turns them off and they will avoid it. The materials work slowly to kill the colony, with the stomach poisons taking about a week to kill it if all goes well, and the growth regulators taking many weeks longer, as they affect the larvae only, keeping them from becoming adult ants. If no new workers are being produced the original workers eventually die without any replacements to keep the colony going.

How About some Natural Controls?

Well, actually there are some biological entities that are being investigated for controlling RIFA, and if they work they may be a better long-term solution for keeping the populations of the ant low. One of these is a tiny fly called a Phorid Fly, and it is a parasite of the ants. The larva of the fly feeds inside the worker ant until it kills it, at which time other workers toss the dead ant onto the bone-pile outside and the new fly emerges. These flies are native to South America, so intense study of the flies is necessary before releasing them into this country, to ensure they themselves cannot become an environmental nightmare.

There also are some micro-organisms that infect the ants, and studies are continuing to see if these could be produced in large batches for release into RIFA infested areas. The same concerns exist for these control agents too, as the introduction of ANY exotic organism into the U.S. is a cause for worry, and it needs to be known that they won't affect other, natural organisms.

Even some of the chemical growth regulators that are being used in the fire ant baits are basically "natural", in that they are chemically identical to growth chemicals present in the ants, but just introduced to them in doses large enough to mess up their proper growth.

What does NOT work to control RIFA?

Let me just give a quick list:

flame throwers made from household aerosols
stomping the mound flat with your feet (not a good idea)
household cleaning products poured into the nest
flooding with a garden hose (actually makes them relocate, maybe into your house)
auto exhaust (just gives them a nice nap)
anteaters and armadillos (they eat ants, but not enough of them)
ultrasonic repelling devices
Home remedies may give you a moment of satisfaction, thinking you have really caused the ants to have a bad day, but it won't kill the colony. I'd like to elaborate just a moment on the last one listed - the Ultrasonic Repelling devices - which I tend to pontificate on quite a bit. These devices claim to repel all sort of nasty vermin, but somehow have never stood the test of efficacy when tested by independent universities. In fact, one study testing them for effectiveness against RIFA found the ants not only NOT eliminated, but now nesting comfortably within the vibrating box, even as it continued to work in the manner it is supposed to.

It is very likely that we in the United States will never be rid of the Red Imported Fire Ant. There are hopes it can be completely eradicated from California and some of the other states where it recently has popped up in isolated spots. However, the 11 states in the Southeast, where it is so firmly entrenched, will probably have to endure it forever. For areas where RIFA is not yet prevalent it would be an excellent idea for you to have any suspicious ant mounds, and stinging ants, properly identified. You could take them to a local pest control company or the Department of Agriculture office in your area for this. We are relying heavily on the eyes and ears of the American public to watch out for the spread of this terrible pest.
the link was
http://www.buginfo.com/pestsinnews/newsart8a.cfm

Sea of Weed (Jrok)
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 03:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To hell with the RIFA!!! I live in the contry, there are fire ant mounds all fucking over the place...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 05:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i met my first fire ants when i moved to oklahoma city back in the mid 80's, nasty little buggers.
went to a job interview and made the mistake of standing right on top of one of their burrows.
as i spoke to the foreman, i gradually became aware of something crawling on my legs and then i looked down to see hundreds of them swarming up my jeans and a few already up my socks and onto my legs.
interview over, didn't get the job but instead got bit/stung plenty.
glad they don't live around here.

archive material

CTW_Cowboy (Ctw_Cowboy)
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 07:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only experience with these bastards was a time in Florida.

I'd gone to the oceanside off Melbourne and on a return to Orlando I told my buddy to pull along side the road cuz I'd had many a beer in me and my bladder had filled to max.

We stopped and I got out to the side of the highway. It was nightime and I was drunk so didn't mind traffic seeing me. My buddy said not to venture more than a few feet off the shoulder cuz there might be gators in the weeds.

Instead I found some higher ground above the weeds and began my piss.

Damn mosquitoes tho drove me nuts. Didn't even finish. Got back in and we drove but still feeling mosquitoes. My buddy turned the light on in the car and we see dozens of ants running all over me. Had to stop, strip naked and toss my clothes out of the car. Luckily I had a towel.

Looked like zits all over me for a week and those bastards were still squirming around in my shoes that had been left outside the house the next day.

I like ants, but not those ants.

Admin (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 31695
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 03:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a mix of karo syrup and boric acid is good to kill sweet-loving ants

Namaste

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: