Easy to make Inoculation hood Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. » Easy to make Inoculation hood « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by "lysergic" of shroomery.org


Just a few tips on how to make your own little glove box. I prefer this one to a wooden one because it's a bit easier to ensure proper disinfection on the inside. Alot of this is open-ended to allow the user alot of leeway in the construction. This is a general text on making a cheap hood.

The hood constructed of a Rubbermaid container and a clear plastic sheet fulfills the purpose of a hood in that all surfaces are able to be sprayed with chemical agents and a seal that prevents air exchange is possible.

First, the decision must be made as to whether or not the box is to be cut. The size needs to allow the person doing the inoculations to have their hands in the box and be in a position that is comfortable enough (while providing a view of the contents) to stand in for extended periods of time.

Second, the box must have a lid designed for this purpose. Clear plastic sheeting is ideal for this due to transparency and ability to be disinfected. The sheet is cut with 4” overhand on each side. It is fitted on and then secured with duct tape or (ideally) a large rubber band. The rubber band allows for easy removal and re-usage.

The position of the hand-holes is entirely up to you and the ideal specifications are different from person to person. You want them so your hands can move enough to deal with 10 separate jars. This entails removing the aluminum foil, peeling back the tape, injecting the proper amount of spores and sealing the jar back up. Experimentation will give you the ideal configuration. I recommend that you make the holes as small as possible, just big enough that your gloved hands can fit through there and not snag or tear your gloves. Everything you will be loading in will be loaded from the top.

Next, all of the components are thoroughly disinfected. We clean the Rubbermaid first. Mix a bleach/water solution at a 1:9 ratio. Spray this on the inside and out side of the Rubbermaid container and wash vigorously with a clean cloth. Rinse with warm water, then fill inside of Rubbermaid ¼ with bleach/water solution. Allow this to sit for 3-4 hours, scrubbing the inside thoroughly every hour or so. Rinse again with hot water. Wash both sides of the plastic sheet with the solution as well two to three times. Rinse with hot water. Using the strongest concentration of isopropyl alcohol available, mist the inside of the container and the side of the plastic sheet that will be down when it is in place. Before the isopropyl alcohol dries, secure the clear sheet in place. The alcohol will continue to dry.

I recommend taking the hood apart and cleaning it again every time you have a batch of inoculations to do. Loading from the top is ideal. Get everything together that you need. One syringe, 10 jars, a bottle of IPA, some paper towels soaked in ISA, a bottle of Lysol, all of these items and whatever else you personally might desire are gathered up and wiped down with IPA. Wipe EVERYTHING down, the outside of the syringe, the needle protector, the bottles of chemicals. The jars should be OK if they are taken directly out of the pressure cooker or if they were stored in a relatively clean location. With everything gathered, remove the lid and load and position everything. It is best to decide (or even “dry run”) before hand where every item should be placed to avoid fumbling or unnecessary movement. After all items are loaded, the lid is placed back on and sealed.

Spray your gloves with a 91+% IPA mixture until the surface is moist and insert into box. A few squirts of Lysol directed upwards towards the lid will condense in a few moments ensuring that any new air let in while loading is disinfected. When the Lysol has condensed, remove the needle cover and wipe down with a IPA saturated paper towel.

Note: Sometimes when wearing gloves it becomes difficult to pull the tape back on the lids. If this is the case, a pair of needle nosed pliers (NEW!) or tweezers can be pressure cooker sterilized or soaked in an IPA bath and brought into the hood to assist.

If you desire, you can make the openings large enough to fit the jars in and insert them in the hand holes.
You can even get some garbage bags and tape a single-ply of them over the handholes, cut a small cross in them, and force your hands through. This provides a decent barrier around the hand places. Of course, you want to mist the 'in' side of the trashbag before you put it on.
if you made, where the hand holes are, a large hole for loading and unloading the chamber, it would be a smaller hole than removing the plastic off of the top. Also, using tyvek, after loading, to seal the open area in the container would work well too.

Another tip, if you get some large water bottles, fill 2/3 with water, freeze, and put in the hood (after wiping with IPA!), it really cools the temps and condenses everything.
Another recommendation...
when you do your casings, do it in the hood. That way you can be sure that that procedure is done with sterility as well.
you do your inoculations in the hood, then transfer them, when they are all done, into an incubation chamber.

archive material

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message