The Pasta Project Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food The Pasta Project Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 09:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About a month ago I posted a thread about whether or not anyone thought pasta would work as a substrate, well 5 days after innoc. here's what I got:
pasta1

Same jars different view:
pasta2

The Procedure:
I did everything just as a typical PF jar except I used a 1/4 cup pasta instead of a 1/4 cup brf.
I ground up some 100% organic pasta into a fine powder (semolina) and presterilized in an oven for 20 min. @ 300 deg.F (as I always do when making cakes).

I literaly spent a half hour at the organic market reading labels. I elected to go with the kamut wheat pasta (there are tons of other kinds). Shape doesn't matter obviously since I was going to grind it up anyway, however I'd imagine spaghetti or lasagna noodles would'nt fit in the blender to well. (I used spirals). They were innoculated in the typical 4 hole procedure with cloned tissue of Amazon strain that was growing out on karo.

Observations:

The 2 pasta/verm jars are moving slightly quicker than 2 brf/verm jars that are also going with injection method the same. Myc. showed at 4 days post innoc.

The pasta was hard to see when mixed with the verm. until after PC'ing in which it turned reddish-brown in color.

I realize I have a ways to go with this project: have to get to 100% colonization then get them to fruit before I prove anything, but looks like I'm off to a good start.

Erebus (Debremus)
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 09:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does it look so brown? Very cool, this might mean brown rice is now obsolete, as we have found out popcorn works just as well, also.

Pasta is even easier to get than popcorn.

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 10:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vermiculite is dark as is the pasta so thats why all the brown.

I would caution the use of "regular" pasta, although I've never tried it, one look at the ingredients was enough to deter me. Go organic just like when using brf.

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 08:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE:

Still going strong, brf/verm jars have caught up and are slightly ahead of the pasta jars in colonization speed.

Zap (Zap)
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 02:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

go pasta go, u can do it!

cant wait to see this in a month.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 02:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my money's on the brf.

but i'm open-minded.

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 09:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the pasta has inched ahead of the brf, but only slightly. Looks like they'll both finish at the same time. Should be ready to birth in about a week. Will keep you posted

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about some updated pix ?

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 08:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Per Hippie's request:

The 2 jars on the left are the pasta, 100% colonization! The 2 jars on the right are brf done except for the bottoms. Haven't decided what I'll do with them yet maybe just keep them as cakes?

pasta

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 12:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

proly best to keep it simple if you want your experiment to have any validity.

Skippy the Pirate (Skippy)
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 03:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is pretty darned cool
Thanks for the pics Jack.
It never ceases to amaze me that these things will grow on nearly anything.

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 08:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah hippie, I'm probably gonna just do cakes. I was thinking 'bout it last night and I already got quite a few casings on deck so to speak plus a straw wheel.

MaynardsDick (Maynardsdick)
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would it be safe to say since mycelium grows on many types of subtrate, that a mixture of these substrates should supply a good gamut of nutrients and hence better flushes?

i'm thinking of a mixture of brf, ground popcorn, millet and others.

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)
Username: Funguy242

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I'm not mistaken quite a few have done that before but honestly I'm not sure what the results.

UPDATE: I'm dunking the jars tonight and will birth them tomorrow!

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 08:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well they've been birthed. The pasta jars had already begun pinning invitro. I elected to stick with cakes as I have my hands full with 3 casings and a straw wheel. Will post more pics soon.

Sweetness (Sweetness)
Intermediate Member
Username: Sweetness

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 01:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mycaroni's

This site is forever raising the bar when it comes to new teks.

"In horse vernacular, Roy has always 'given me my head,' and I have tried to do the same for him."
Dale Evans, wife of cowboy star Roy Rogers

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 6467
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 01:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

invitro pinning, eh ?
pretty cool, a pity no pix of that.
looking forward to your next installment.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an updated pic: The pasta cakes are the 2 in front, the BRF the 2 in the rear. Right before taking this pic I added more perlite as I didn't feel the humidity was high enough. Things just look kinda strange.Upload
Upload

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well here it is!
The brf cake is the 1st to cross the finish line and in a big way(2 cakes in rear of pic). Interesting that the pasta cakes finished 1st in colonization time but was much less inferior in fruiting. I, at least, feel this is worth further investigation. Well for the few of you that followed hope you enjoyed. I will post further updates if anything interesting "pops up".

Upload

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 08:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh well
I knew it wouldn't be a break through but I found it interesting. Unfortunately I think adding the xtra perlite was a little too late as I had more abortions than a ghetto walk in clinic. Good thing was I still got a nice yield from just 4 cakes.

Anyway I'm working on something new right now that should blow my socks off anyway.

Machine (Machine)
Username: Machine

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 09:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I had more abortions than a ghetto walk in clinic."

Classy...
"Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world."
-Publilius Syrus

Soliver (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 10:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"more abortions than a ghetto walk in clinic"

Tasteless.

A man after my own heart! :-)

sol

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 6764
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 12:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was the strain an isolate or was your project done by multispore injection ?
makes a difference when drawing conclusions.
still archive material for future reference.

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 09:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a clone that I put in a karo solution. One thing that's perhaps noteworthy. It seems I may have ended the pasta cakes in mid flush. The 2 brf cakes had completely flushed and I needed to dunk them. The pasta at least appeared to still be pinning. I realize thats probably a "no-no" but my various set ups are starting to get way out of hand, so I need all the terrarium space available and I'm trying to keep my timing right on the money. So I went ahead scraped the cakes clean and dunked.

Thank You all for your feedback!

Upload

drugiedugie (Dugzup)
Username: Dugzup

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 01:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice work Funguy ! Finally someone came up with a use for Pasta ! I can't stand eating it but I knew there must be a reason for it.
If you could find an edible substitute for the verm you could just add sauce to your cake when it was ready!
Thanks for the follow thru updates and keep up the good work !

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 6807
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 01:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fyi,
no need to remove pins before dunking.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 6808
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 01:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a cool chick-butterfly image there, too.

Jack Gordon (Funguy242)

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks, thanks & thanks

farmerlucky03 (Farmerlucky03)
Advanced Member
Username: Farmerlucky03

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 01:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is so sweet to see someone pioneering in mycology.:-)
Way to go.
"I do it for the drugs"
Smile Empty Soul

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: