Bulking up Da POO w/wheat straw Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food Bulking up Da POO w/wheat straw Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 01:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

Wheat straw as a substrate generally colonizes very quickly & gives off one flush of good sized shrooms. Generally, any following flushes are rather pitiful.

But, it is a great additive to any horse/cow manure mix, to bulk up da poo & give a poo substrate more aeration & paths for myc to colonize very quickly, along - in the substrate.

You can also beef up the nutrient levels in wheat straw & condition it via very simple & quick bio/degrading.

Simply soak wheat straw in a dung/water filled tub, for a week, or so. Adding a cup of compost starter ($3 @ most garden supply stores) to the tub, hastens the process along
You can keep a tub like this going almost indefinitely. Whenever you remove some straw, just add more.
There is no secret recipe. A couple shovels full of manure, a cup of compost starter, some water, a tub, some straw, a heavy object to hold the straw under the water -- mix the water - dung - compost starter, add straw, submerge & you are cooking.

Suggest if possible this be done outside & without a lid. Just let nature take its course, for awhile.

Once bio/degraded a bit, simply drain & pasturize (as you would poo alone), pasturize some poo by itself & make around a 50/50 mix. Spawn with colonized grated cakes or WBS.

Hold back some straight poo to top off the mix with & give the top a little extra spawn frosting, to get the top to colonize very quiclky, as a protective cover for the mix underneath.

Once the top is fully colonized, give it a few more days, for the remainder to catch up. Then case with a pH adjusted casing mix, let the casing colonize to the degree you want & initiate pinning.

No need to chop/shred straw, nada bit.

Once mixed, spawned & beginning to colonize it will look like this
If ya can find rapeseed (canola seed)? Soaking in water overnight, then PC'ing it, then adding that to the mix, will give it some very rich delayed release nutes.

Another good additive is to bring some pure vegatible oil to a boil on the stove, allow it to cool & add some to the dung/straw mix, just before you add the spawn.

Again, no secret recipe on adding veggy oil. Just add some, but NOT so much, the mix gets or looks greasy. Just mix it in.

Most strains will get BIG, under optimal colonization & grow conditions in a well spawned dung/straw or compost substrate around 4 or 5 inches deep, with a good pH adjusted casing mix cover.

by 6tango

casey (Kingkc1)
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 12:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is great info there. I think everybody should have a bucket of straw going .

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed.
and a compost heap.

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 01:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the compostheap is in place .I use a 'waitingbed' to put all the green that will be used in the heap and the next year i start making the compostheap in layers , mixing in fishemulsion ,maerl , vinasse (a byproduct of sugarbeets and rich in kalium).

compostheap

now next is the bucket...great tip
thanks

tribesman

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

go easy on the fish emulsion and in fact all animal byproducts like fats, meats, blood, etc.
shrooms aren't fond of such.

psycho naut (Xochipilli2012)
Intermediate Member
Username: Xochipilli2012

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K so I got a trash can and filled it with straw ,pooh water and compost starter.it's been like three weeks and the trash can smells like shit and now has mosquitos flying around it.is this normal?I hope so.

well now to my original question.what would be the best way to pasturize bulk straw? with out using a hot water bath which would probably leech out the nutrients that i gave it with the pooh and the compost starter.I know that above it says to pasturize as you do pooh,but when I've put pooh in the oven at 180 for 45 minutes the pooh sometimes gets trich.(it could also be my environment)

now I did my research and saw somewhere in the archives that naan would pc his pooh ,straw ,grain at 15 psi for 45 min.
now could i pc the straw at 15 psi for 45 minutes without using water or would the straw burn?also is 45 min to long for straw? any one know how to correctly run the pc with out water(do i still let the air/steam hiss for about 10 or 20 minutes to get all the air out?)?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: