Cobweb Identification Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Contams. Mold Cobweb mold: fight back Cobweb Identification Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
White Fuzz - 1
Contams - 1

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Bobby (Bobby)
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 12:27 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cased three cakes with Eat u's Tek, The mycelium is begining to break through the surface. Some of the growth is fuzzy like cotton. I thought it just might be mycelium at young age but I want to be safe. Are there any good pics of cob web fungus that you guys know about. Also I have one cake in the terranium. I birthed it before any pins started(Impatient) how long untill I should see results? (new and impatient bare with me)

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 02:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's White Fuzz Bobby! Don't Worry. Be Happy

Give the cakes 5-7 days to Pin up, a couple of weeks to fruit, minimum, at 75*F with the proper Humidity.

You're doing fine.

Nan

relic (Relic)
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 11:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think 90% of the cobweb mold suspicions people report are incorrect. cobweb mold is very distinctive and fast growing, it doesn't grow invitro, and it grows up and up way off the substrate.

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 11:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the percentage is even higher than that...

And this is interesting. I stole this photo from the Shroomery archive for the purpose of this discussion...

cobweb.jpg

Now the shroomery states this is cobweb mold growing in the Verm barrier of a PF type jar. Just one problem... Most of my jars look exactly like this when I birth them... And what I have is not cobweb, it's thin fuzzy mycelia running the verm barrier like a casing. When scraping the verm layer down prior to knocking the cake free, the thin fuzzy mycelia gets thicker and more ropy until you scrape the verm right down to the top of the cake. Tain't cobweb. Straw Beds Spawned with these cakes show no evidence of cobweb infection, and if cobweb was in there it would leap across a straw bed lickity split.

My take, this is not a photo of cobweb... This is White Fuzz

But Shroomery uses this photo for their identification of cobweb.

Anybody else have a take on this?

relic (Relic)
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 12:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've seen that pic too and concur. that is not cobweb mold, all of my pf jars looked like that when birthed. that is a poor pic for cobweb i.d.
here are some good examples of cobweb mold that someone just posted on adm.

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 01:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that's cobweb. Nice crop of it too! Too bad the Photos are blurry, but even with those pics you can get an idea of the lack of structure that cobweb has. And cobweb is never the clean, bright, white that even thin fuzzy mycelia has (as in the pic I posted above).

Bobby (Bobby)
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 01:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks that is what mine look like, You guys are awesome!

Lichen (Lichen)
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 01:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nan, that's a normal pfjar in that pic. I'd say that someone over there is confused, because I have never seen cobweb grow in a jar at all...and all my jars look like that on top too.

Cobweb mold grows on casings. It grows mighty fast, much much faster than cubensis mycelium. Suffice it to say that if you have never seen cobweb mold, you'll know it when you do--it's unmistakeable. Right now, in fact, I have it all over one of my strawbeds :0(

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 01:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I perused the link Relic left for us and pulled two photos I will eventually move to the Archive to help out with the visual ID of cobweb

Photo #1 is a pretty up close of cobweb just getting started on a cased bed of something. Look how it puffs up off the bed, color is slightly gray, the fibers show a complete lack of structure (ummm like a cobweb?)

cobweb4.jpg

Now the next photo shows how cobweb leaps and climbs. This bed did not take but a few days to degrade to this degree I am sure. I repeat over and over cobweb grows like fire out of control, it will more than double in size in 24 hours... It runs across cased beds like fire races through a lumberyard on a windy day. It leaps, it climbs, it does not stay in close contact to the bed.

cobweb3.jpg

Now compare the color, the structure, and the growth pattern of these photos to the pictures in Hip's Bulk Tek with Coir Casing third photo down.

SYDYSTYK (Addict)
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 02:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have had cob web in a jar but it was caused by a contamed syringe, lost over 60 jars to it, at first i thought it was mycelia, i thought i was colonizing at record speed, about a week into it the colors came(very dark then turning to black), i knew it was cobweb after trying the syringe in honey tek, it grew about an inch above the surface of honey solution,using honey tek before hand wouldve saved me a lot

relic (Relic)
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 05:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that second pic is like WOW! lol

"well i wanted to make sure it wasn't just really fuzzy mycellia"

definately not a case of cobweb paranoia

relic (Relic)
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 09:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i haven't seen cobweb mold since i figured out that casings need to ventilate

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 06:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep yep yep... They need to breath far more than cakes. Lots of air = no cobweb.

Lots of lime = No trich

Brettiejams (Brettiejams)
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 06:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's good to have some pictures of it for people to see.

Maybee we can avoid the next... Cobweb Hysteria

I swear... everytime someone brings up cobweb mold, every new person who has never seen it before starts thinking they have it growing in all their stuff.

Lol.... seen it happen on this board a bunch of times.

relic (Relic)
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 09:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's soo true, and then they all get someone telling them to spray h2o2(just to be safe), which retards the growth and fruiting. i never use h2o2 and rarely have any problems. when i do it's post 2nd flush casings that get that damned trich.

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 12:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You and I both... Here is what I have found (and you can track this with a cheap aquarium pH test kit)... As the casing grows old it begins to "sour" or acidify.

As the pH in the casing drops, Trich takes hold.

There are two remedies: scrape off and replace the casing; or include lots of buffer when you mix the casing up.

The first point is obvious. The longer term buffer is harder to understand... But I did a breakdown pH analysis of the 50/50 casing over time. pH drop is the cause of Trich. The addition of ground oyster shell acts as a long term pH buffer, it keeps the pH high enough into the second flush that Trich is retarded. Add more oyster shell, or replace the casing, you go to 3rd and 4th flushes without contam.

Lichen I hope you are reading this because this is one of the keys to your straw tek problems... You have to add lots of lime to the casing.

Fan plenty... Keeps the cobweb at bay... Clean "sweet" beds... Pretty soon you get serious massive flushes. No shit in this Tek.

Shroom Glossary

hippie3 (Hippie)
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 06:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cobweb loves stagnant, moist air.
it's very fast, it will overun your entire casing in a day or 2.
it's very fluffy, more grey than white, and grows up into the air above the casing.
here's a pic...
cobweb