CYRUS BARNABY MYCELLIUM TEK Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Liquid Culture: Karo/Honey/Dextrose Q&A Karna's Liquid Culture Media CYRUS BARNABY MYCELLIUM TEK Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Shroom Glossary - 1
Beer Tek - 1
Questions??? - 1

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Martaxus (Martaxus)
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 11:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oy! I'm doing Honey Tek as well as Cyrus Banaby rice Tek to make inoculant. My honey jars aren't showing anything, but the rice is doing well.

Should I shake the rice jars during growth? So far I've just let them sit, so at the moment there's a layer of rice at the bottom & the mycellium jelly is growing on top of that. I see no strings.

As there's rice in the jar, do I want to shake the jar before use, drawing up this rice? Any suggestions for drawing up the mycellium only if that is preferred?

Finally, I've heard some good things about using Hydrogen Peroxide 30 min. before use. I've also read that H202 is hard on mycellium. Is there any risk in using H202 to ward off contams?

Thanks!

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 11:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are clean, you don't need H2O2. And you can shake liquid cultures as long as the lid has a positive seal where it won't leak, otherwise whip the solution with the needle tip before drawing up.

SYDYSTYK (Addict)
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 11:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

put the lids rubber down it keeps it from getting messy when you shake

monkeyod (Monkeyod)
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 11:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just swirl the jars a little to mix things up. This will help speed things up. Did you use rice or rice flour? I use BRF never whole rice.

H2o2...shouldn't need it. It does 'hurt' the mycelium and it will take it a while to adjust and recover. Risks in using H2o2? If your talking about yourself then no, assuming that your using 3% H2o2 and not the 50% solutions you can get at pool supply stores. Worst you could do to your mycelium is to kill it if you use too much h2o2. Like I said you shouldn't need it if you keep clean and read up on the teks on making your syringe. Hope this helps.

Martaxus (Martaxus)
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 07:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oy! I'm using the ricewater tek to produce inoculum. After about 3 weeks this batch isn't growing out as much as I'd hoped; there's only about a half-inch of jelly sitting on top of the rice, no strings.

When I mixup & draw syringes, I just get a thick cloud, with some rice as well. It is thick enough to suspend the rice for a few seconds before settling. Is this stringless inoculum potent enough for inoculations?

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 10:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should be. Be careful drawing up as the rice can plug the needle.

Martaxus (Martaxus)
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 04:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No big worries there; I'm only concerned with the syriges being effective. My first Cyrus Barnaby Rice Tek jars performed much better than my current batch, giving obvious clumps of growth in the syringes. These are more like thick clouds.

Thanks Nan!