Manure Water Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food Additives Manure Water Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Compost & Manure - 1

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

jared (Jared112)
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 09:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read at fanaticus.com that you can use lake water or stream water when making the cakes. They said that it works a lot better. But, That would mean that the water is full of contams and when you steam the jars to get rid of all possible contams will that kill even the bacteria deep within the cake or should I play it safe and use distilled water? If anybody has tried this let me know if there is even a difference between natural water and distilled water.

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 11:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would use Purified Water unless you Pressure Sterilize. Just trying to save heartache

As far as "natural" water being better than purified... Depends on the natural water, and there is no way to know without experimenting...

The safe bet, especially if you are steaming instead of pressure cooking... Use purified water.

Lichen (Lichen)
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 11:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I have almost consistently used the water from a very large goldfish tank located in my greenhouse...it has dozens and dozens of goldfish in it, no aireator, no equipment like a normal fish tank, just the fish, snails, and the algea. The water is quite a deep emerald green.

I have always used this water, and I have also always used steam processing rather than pressure cooking. The water obviously has tons of fishpoop and etc etc in it, and I have no problem using it. The reason I use it is to give the jars that little extra bit of nutrients, and I always have excellent flushes. Right now I have a B+ cake that has three large and seven small shrooms on it, probably 80 grams or so wet.

Lichen (Lichen)
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2001 - 06:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's exactly what I'm using :0)
here's a pic of the green fish water from my goldfish friends...greenwater

XUnkyHerbX (Notapplicable)
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2001 - 12:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attempted water from nature once.. Failed misserably in 36 straight jars. Live and learn :)

Lichen (Lichen)
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2001 - 12:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, I can't speak to that, but for certain, after years of jars, I have to say my greenfishwater is a success every time...a proven ingredient.

Funguy420 (Funguy420)
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2001 - 12:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you could always just boil the water before you added it to the mix. that's what i did. i have only lost one to contams and i think that was from the needle not being sterilized right before i inocculated.

An guy (Boomer)
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2001 - 03:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use creek water from the mountains so far.

I just steamed my jars and I have contams, but only in my ports- the other jars are fine, except two are stalled because of too much moisture....So I'm sure they'll get contaminated, but it's over two weeks, and they're clean along with the jar I did right, which is going well.

I used mountain creek since it hasn't had a chance to go through any fields yet or otherwise pick up any chemicals.

jack cracker (Cptcracker)
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2001 - 05:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once experimented with river water, bottled spring water, and runoff water from a feed lot (brown, but filtered). The cakes were all pc'd and inoculated the same. As far as colonization and fruiting, there were no sigificant differences. I did not, however, record the potency or fruiting history of each cake. I was just happy to have results.

everything was pc'd, by the book. no significant loss due to contams. but i still stop by the feed lot every now and then and get a little "fortified" water...

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2001 - 05:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lichen clearly states that his "manure water" is a proven ingrediant in his substrate when steaming jars. He determined this by experiment.

Now if you are going to PC the Jars try manure water for an added boost.

Take about a quart of composted cow manure (bagged from the nursery or lawn & garden dept) and dump it into 1/2 gallon of clean water. Stir it up well and let it sit for awhile. Then when you are making up substrate give it another stir and pour off the liquid on top, leaving most of the sediment behind. You will need to add just a tad more liquid than normal because there will be some solid matter in suspension. Makes nice "high-test" jars, and is one of the best jar additives I have found.

High quality additives: Zoo Doo : Worm Castings; can replace a tablespoon or two of PF substrate per jar. Adjust your moisture levels accordingly, make sure the jars are sterilized for 45 min under 15 PSI steam.

Brettiejams (Brettiejams)
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2001 - 08:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit tea is good... but I hear that straw water is bad, or at least concentrated straw water(water that was used to pasturize more than one batch) is....can't remember why though.

Shroom Glossary