Alternative to pollyfill and tyvek Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Alternative to pollyfill and tyvek Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Scott White (Zorchmedia)
Username: Zorchmedia

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently purchased an air filter hammock from Canadian tire. It is a dense, 30"x64" polyfill blanket with electrostaticly charged fibres and some kind of bacteria guard coating...it trims out really easy..good for 300+ jar lids or larger patches for fruiting chambers. (bacteria free gas exchange) Cost about $12 cdn.
I have had 0 contams since I started using this stuff...hope this is helpfull...Mycotopia has been priceless to me

Upload
Upload

Zap (Zap)
Username: Zap

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lovely

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 474
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you use this over the lid or with no lid?

"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Scott White (Zorchmedia)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 07:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use it under the lid, as an extra barrier...the material sort of forms to the edges of the jar and provides a fairly tight seal after pressure cooking...perfect for syringe inoculation..there is no hole left behind,and the jars can breath a bit without sucking in contams...also, it is made out of synthetic fibers that have no water retention...they stay dry so they dont become a contamination wick...they seem to have eliminated my contam problems. Upload
Upload

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 834
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 08:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful!! This is the kind of experimentation we need more of...good work.

psycho naut (Xochipilli2012)
Advanced Member
Username: Xochipilli2012

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 09:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds awesome!

where did you find it,buy it?

thanks for sharing

any link for a site that would carry it?

I'll do a froogle search right now.

(Message edited by xochipilli2012 on October 12, 2003)

Advanced Member

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 10:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can't seem to find it online anywhere.

what kind of store would carry it?

Scott White (Zorchmedia)

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found it in the furnace filter section in a local Canadian Tire store. I imagine that any well stocked hardware store would have something similer...Or maybe hunt online under furnace filters.

Scott White (Zorchmedia)

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try this one...
http://www.onlineallergyrelief.com/airfilter/room/ room.html

Scott White (Zorchmedia)

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In depth description...now I know why they work so well
http://www.filters-now.com/3mspecs.php#content

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you so much!

your like an angel sent from heaven in times of need.

Zap (Zap)
Username: Zap

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 04:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

only wish the post office made enevlops out of them :-) j/k

thank you for sharing Scot W.

ZAP

Scott White (Zorchmedia)

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I`me really glad I could contribute some usefull info to the board....I tried this hobby out about 10 years ago and finally gave up after limited success and a lot of failures..due mostly to lack of decent information...Mycotopia rekindled the interest, and showed me the way..I give my heart out to all of you!

Ken Moore (Putanero)
Username: Putanero

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 08:36 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do one of the above links lead to being able to purchase the same filter material Scott is referring to? I could not find it.If they lead to a similar one can anyone point me to the right ones?Thre are a lot of different typw filters on there

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't find the hammock filters(*don't know what they are).but I used a purple color 3m filtrete filter instead of the red(home depot).and so far no contams.

I cut squares and did some jars with double tyvek,and double filter.and some jars with just a double filter.and everything looks good,no contams.

the only thing is that with these filters I used the hole i made to innoc did'nt reseal so I used masking tape to recover the hole.

I think maybe the hammock ones are thicker.

Scott White (Zorchmedia)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This place has just what your looking for..real cheap..A roll of the stuff 20 feet long, 3 feet wide and an inch thick goes for $22. Should make about 1800 lids. ;} Scroll to the bottom of the page when it opens...

http://www.arnoldservice.com/High%20Efficiency%20Filters.htm

Upload

(Message edited by zorchmedia on October 22, 2003)

Putanero (Putanero)
Username: Putanero

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 05:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you kind Sir.

Putanero

Marx2k (Marx2k)
Username: Marx2k

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 05:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can it be used like polyfil? And by that I mean rolling it up and sticking it through a hole in the lid?

Scott White (Zorchmedia)

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You dont need to pull it through a hole..just cut into a 2" square, slip it under the lid (with hole punched in)and trim off the excess.See post above..(October 12, 2003 - 07:31 pm ) You can stick a syringe needle through it and it will close up..no hole in the filter. So far (36 jars over a month period) I have had no contamination problems.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: