Grow room questions Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Grow room questions Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Bish (Boyblue)
Username: Boyblue

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 07:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey fellow mycotopians I am currently getting ready to set up a spare room with 5 of the 4 tier Mini grow houses from Northerntool and I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on how to control air flow and humidity. I have read in the archives about using a cool mist and a hepa filter and was wondering how many I would need for a set up this size? Do I need one for each set up or can I run pvc and split the humidifier among two of the mini grow houses. Another question...Can I get away with one hepa filter for the whole room. (approx. 12'x10) or do I need more than one. I would not have a problem on spending a little money for a bigger one if it would work. As for lighting what do you suggest...one 4' section of florscent for each mini grow house? One last question...Would a hydrostat work in the room to control the humidifier if the mini grow houses are all closed? Or would I be better off without it. Could someone please elaborate on the benefits of the hydrostat...
thanks
bish

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 10:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One humidifier will easily supply enough humidity for 2 greenhouses.

If you have extra $, get a nice hepa filter to run in the room where the greenhouses are. They are not needed in the greenhouses ot anything. Read the box on the hepa filter for the room size they cover.

The normal lighting in the room would probably be sufficient. No special lighting is usually needed unless the room is kinda dark to begin with.

How were you planning on using a hydrostat? What is that exactly?
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 494
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 10:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are these what you were talking about?

If so, then they would not be needed, as you would have to get one for each greenhouse. Just go to walmart and get a couple $15 digital hygrometer/temperature gauges. They will work well for calibrating the greenhouses to maintain the proper humidity levels.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 897
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 11:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hepa filters are nice, and I run them, but bear in mind they're not a cure all. I'm convinced most of the trich we get is brought into our grow areas by us. Trich spores are rather heavy and don't stay suspended in the air very long. They are however, very sticky, and stick to our hands, sleeves, faces, etc very well, and seem to know when to 'drop off'...Since almost every square inch of soil on Earth has trich in it, I think it's a valid hypothesis that we bring it in, rather than the air. Just my opinion, of course.

Blodwen_1 (Blodwen_1)
Username: Blodwen_1

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 01:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok you can go a number of directions here. Here are you're options as I see them.
1. create a walk in grow room with hepa air filter, and mister/bucket system.
2. purchase multiple closet grow chambers for garments and split a mister bucket system.

You will not be able to get enough humidity with a single vicks vapor mist beyond two chambers. You need more mist but not more power/more Hepa.
Basically a small Hepa or ULPA, channel the air flow through a funnel or bowl leading out a tube leading directly into a bucket with a mister sitting in a floation device, with a another tube connect it to you're room or multiple grow rooms.
Typically a single mister with three misting outlets, can handle three or more grow chambers. However they are more prone to failure than a vicks, typically in the submersable mister.
You'll need a timer, a three head heavy extension cord, power strip, bucket, fountain mister/floater, hepa/ulpa, tubing, plumber T-valves, something to catch the mist (tupperwear), shelves.
Pretty intense, why not consider lots of bookshelved invitro?

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 495
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 01:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Five greenhouses is gonna take you forever and a day to fill. You will be working around the clock. I would start with 2 if I were you. Otherwise, just make the room one large greenhouse. Its cheaper, and you will have more grow space.

Bish (Boyblue)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 01:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks High Flyer, Rodge, and Blodwen...I would like to thank all of you for the wonderful information regarding the creation of my grow room. I will probably start out with two greenhouses as highflyer suggests and I will run one cool mister with a 4' section of light centered over the two greenhouses. Blodwen if you could elaborate a little more on the mister I would be interested...any pictures? You guys rock!!!
Thanks,
Bish

Blodwen_1 (Blodwen_1)

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 12:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure Bish always willing to help.
Let me say that everything High Flyer has said is dead on. More than two closet grow chambers will be a royal pain. If you have that space you're discussing you should go for a one single closed off room. One of the members posted an impressive pic of theirs about a week ago, in might have been Highflyer, I could definitely be wrong. The pics were of a fairly large sectioned off grow room with massive casings. This is the setup to mimic.
It's good to have light but you don't need tons worry more about temps, and clean cycling air.

I purchase a ULPA (which is just like a Hepa) from Ebay this ULPA cleans the air like a Hepa and has a built in ionize.
Like Roger Rabbit said no Hepa or ULPA is perfect and human error/presence is where you're tric. will appear, most likely.
I feel that if you're serious about this building a walk instyle grow room is less wasteful, if you can control it. It wastes a little more energy to put it up, but if you don't succeed at casings, there are lots of other methods to try that can get you the yields you need.
The Humidifier method I'm talking of is nothing new. It's a "Homer Tek", but the Tek is a little off.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/19976.html

Good luck in finding all the exact same materials. So I'll help you out a little. Do a search on ebay for Ulpa.
Or go to this link.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3052903295&category=14949
Rip the grill off. Place a bowl or funnel equal in diameter where the grill was. Before hand measure, use a door knob drill to make a perfect hole in the center of the funnel/bowl. Use some sort of tube, maybe small dryer duct, straight plumbing Connector, epoxy it to the funnel (while suspended). Use a bungee cord and secure the funnel to ULPA. Drill 3 holes in a bucket. 1 small hole for the three valve fountain mister with floaty device in the center of the lid. The two large holes drilled next to the center are for intake and outake. Secure the tube from the ULPA to the bucket, attach another tube to the top of the bucket leading to you're room. Essentially you are attempting to make the ULPA device push clean air into a bucket which is producing fine mist, which is carried out through the tube to you're room.

Upload
You can not use the Homer Tek device on little chambers or less then 2 grow chambers. The only good part about the Homer Tek is the theory of the humidifier, the construction is crude, fairly ugly, drastic and there are some design flaws. The water bottle chamber is pretty inaccessible for cleaning and repair because of the wonderful glue job.

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 508
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 05:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't me who had the whole room grow chamber, it was Highroller. I use the greenhouses. :-)

Bish (Boyblue)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again for the info. I will try to post some pictures of the set up once I get everything.
bish

Blodwen_1 (Blodwen_1)

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 11:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait to see!

blodwen

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: