Shitake on pf cake Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Shitake on pf cake Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

hive_bee (Hiveb)
Username: Hiveb

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 10:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a little while back someone posted that shitakes could be grown on cakes by inserting the plug into the middle. maybe blue something or other. anyway. that particular company's spawn does in fact work, and (bared because of no digicam) the cakes even invitro primordiate. big huge invitro primordia.

hiveb

Nilla (Nilla)
Username: Nilla

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bluecat is who your taking about.
I also was intrested in trying this but hadnt had the time.
Care to share any details on how you went about it,maybe some pics?

hive_bee (Hiveb)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no digicam, otherwise, pics would ensue. the primordia just look like big blobs of white flesh. they are firm to the touch. the cake is still pure white (stamets notes in GGMM that the brown is a result of aging myc). the incubation was in the dark at 75-85 F. these cakes only ever saw the light once or twice. they sent off primordia sometime in the last two weeks when the midwest got real cold and the hive went down to 60-70 F. the cakes were birthed today into a rubbermaid with no humidity measures. the walls of the maid are getting foggy. one dowel per cake. original pf formula. coarse verm. multiple dowels per cake yeilded green meanies (??cause unknown).

hiveb

hive_bee (Hiveb)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 08:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

update...

once the cakes were put into the rubbermaid, within two days, the primordia turned the familiar brown color. it seems the bumps, upon disection, were actually compressed mushrooms. the cakes took on grey mold in another week. but continue to send off primordia (actual).

bluecat (Bluecat)
Username: Bluecat

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 08:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all the blobs are not primordia. i always leave them in the jar until i see a lot of brown area.when they are put in the grow chamber,they will turn mostly or all brown.when you get real pins they will look like the cake on the left,and grow like the others.it usually takes at least a week.good luck.they are delicious.Upload

Shroomzhilla (Shroomzhilla)
Username: Shroomzhilla

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 02:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blucat, where do you get your plugs? and are there any twists to the basic PF tek for these guys? I'm itchin to grow mushies but for now let them be for cooking only.:-(

Reality is for people that cant handle drugs.

bluecat (Bluecat)

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 02:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i use plugs from oyster creek mushroom. www.oystercreekmushroom.com. basic pf formula,then just push a couple of plugs down into the jars.

hive_bee (Hiveb)

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the cakes are developing primordia much like you show. but again, the mold. do your cakes send off blobs of stuff in the jars before they turn brown?

hiveb

bluecat (Bluecat)

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes,they form lots of blobs,then start showing brown areas,and even brown liquid dripping a little in the jar.i wait till they have a lot of brown showing before birthing.i'd rather keep them safe in the jar than waiting weeks in the grow chamber.if they don't pin within 2 weeks,try dunking them for 24 hours in the fridge.also peel and dunk between flushes.

Nilla (Nilla)

Post Number: 292
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 10:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So were just pushing these right through the verm layer into the substrate?Lids off in the open air?

bluecat (Bluecat)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 02:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes,lids off in open air.considering how invasive it is to push a dowel down through the verm layer like this,and i've done up to 4 per jar,i'm amazed at the low rate of contamination.i've done hundreds of jars,with only 2 contaminated ones.this mycillium is very active and colonizes very quickly.it fully colonizes with a very thin mycillium,then gets thicker and thicker.

Nilla (Nilla)

Post Number: 294
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 04:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im sure you went over all this in your old thread but can you give some info on how many plugs you recomend per cake and the colonization time exc.
Thanx;)

bluecat (Bluecat)

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 11:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sure.last time i was reccomending max fruit formula.now i would say keep it closer to 1/8 cup brf.you can use more,but you don't want to have sticky rice at the bottom of the jar.i had some problems with that.the most i use now is just a bit more than 1/8.you don't get as many flushes,but i only keep them for 2 flushes now to avoid contam.for quickest colonization,use 4 plugs per jar.you can slip them down the side of the jar.i think the best is 1 or 2 plugs,and keep them near the center.that way,when you peel the cake between flushes,you don't hit the plugs with the knife.colonization time has varied for me because i keep them at room temp.it's better to be patient,and wait till they have a lot of brown showing.they will be covered with blobs too,but these are not pins.if you use the regular jars (not wide mouth) it will be a little difficult to get them out of the jar.when the blobs get big,and you have a lot of brown in the jar,put them in the grow chamber.it's a good idea to soak them for 24 jours before birthing them.they will get very brown and start to form cracks in the surface after about a week.if they don't pin in 2 weeks,dunk them for 24 hours in the fridge.let them grow until the caps open wide.they will get huge.don't try to eat the stems,they are like wood.between flushes,peel the outside layer off,and dunk for 24 hours in the fridge.the next flush should be in about a week.

Nilla (Nilla)

Post Number: 295
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 05:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds great, Thanx alot.

fucgubarn fucgubarnov (Fucgubarn)
Advanced Member
Username: Fucgubarn

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 06:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks!!
i'm just inoculating

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 8261
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 04:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Du Moore Shrooms (Newshroomer)
Username: Newshroomer

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 11:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hows about from spores? Could I take a print from a grocery store shitake, inject PF stlye and expect to get any growth? or do shitake take too long colinize from spores?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8302
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 12:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hear most strain gives sterile spores.
but it is possible.

quote:

STAMETS.

Page 142 GROWING MEDICINAL AND GOURMET SHROOMIES

SPORE MASS INOCULATION

The ultimate shortcut for culturing mushrooms is via spore mass/liquid inoculation directly into bulk substrates. Primarily used in CHINA, this technique works well with OYSTER and SHIITAKE mushrooms, but is also applicable to all the mushroom species discussed in this book.

see
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/27244.h tml

Pskovinsky (Pskov)
Username: Pskov

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 04:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i suppose if you used a large syringe (one of those 30cc turkey baster ones...) and an entire spore print or two inside it something is bound to germinate :P

(EDIT:-)
It just occured to me... if you did that an eventually found a strain that made decently viable spores you could probably make some cash with that.... or at least make it much cheaper to do then buying spawn plugs every time you want to grow 'em.

(Message edited by pskov on December 02, 2003)

fucgubarn fucgubarnov (Fucgubarn)
Advanced Member
Username: Fucgubarn

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 07:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everytime i start something new i fail the first time,
all my jars are dead,
gues will try again

banjojo (Banjojo)
Username: Banjojo

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 04:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you guys think it is possible to start morels in PF jars? maybe using sawdust instead of BRF?
there's a fungus among us!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8352
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 06:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have my doubts,
i think morels are one of those
virtually impossible to cultivate
species.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: