Horse vs Cow Dung ? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food Horse vs Cow Dung ? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Defunkt (Defunkt)
Username: Defunkt

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 04:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Preferences anyone?

How about elephant dung at the local zoo? You think they'd let me haul some off?

Corvus Albus (Valkyrie)
Username: Valkyrie

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 06:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have little experience with cow dung, but I have worked with horse dung extensively over the course of a year and find it to be excellent. I really havent gotten better yields off of any other substrates.

Upload

I also found that properly sun-dried and decomposed horse poo could be used with a decent degree of sucess unpasteurized, so long as the moisture levels werent too high. Then again, the stuff I had was baking out in the sun at 100 degrees for several weeks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2539857.stm

Heres a zoo selling the stuff, but its over there in the UK ;) Get to know a zoo-keeper at your local zoo, they are usually friendly people and might let you have some. Maybe look into volunteering at yer zoo?

--valkyrie and hrafn

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 7221
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 06:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a shame the zoodoo folks went out of business.
i hear many saying they like horse best,
but cow is more readily available and the overall difference is small, both work well.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

Roc (Rochester)
Username: Rochester

Post Number: 571
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 06:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote horse poo over cow poo.

Roc

Joe Millionare (Rotterdam_y2k)
Intermediate Member
Username: Rotterdam_y2k

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 10:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girlfriend talked to the local zoo in the hopes of aquiring some elephant dung. She figured that the orissas would love it. Alas, there are federal, state, and local laws that prohibit the distribution of said dung off the zoo property. (Unless you know someone inside...) But who knows, maybe your country is different.

Roc (Rochester)
Username: Rochester

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 01:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have got to be shitting me??? Against the law???

Roc

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 941
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 02:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To tell y'all the truth, some of my best casings have been made with dung free compost. It seems less prone to contamination as well. Just mix coir/compost/coffee grinds/verm, and it rocks! Consider the dung optional. I'm wondering why nurseries don't sell horse poo? They have cow and chicken...why not horse?

Joe Millionaire (Rotterdam_y2k)
Intermediate Member
Username: Rotterdam_y2k

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 02:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If my gal could only get this straw log tek down she wouldn't need to case anymore!!
"Ekam Sat Vipras Bahudda Vidante"
The One Truth is named by the wise in many ways.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 945
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 02:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe,
To tell ya the truth, I've stopped making logs until at least January. The trich load here is too great, and I don't want to use chemicals every time to control the trich. I've found casings to be more contam resistant, so use them during the warm season. Total yeild from casings is probably higher than straw anyway. The advantage to straw is its very fast speed. If you can do log after log, you'll get more total product. If you're getting too many contams with the logs, do casings. Logs will work again after the first snowfall.

Defunkt (Defunkt)
Username: Defunkt

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 07:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the replies!

I've found an endless supplier of horse dung...

Now the question is: Should the dung be completely dry before using it or could you also use somewhat fresh dung? As I recall, horse dung is never that 'moist' to begin with...

Thanks!

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)
Intermediate Member
Username: Fitch

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For thos who HUNT mushrooms, dont bother looking at horse dung. The horse digestive system is not like the cows, which are ruminates, and mushrooms will not naturally grow in horse dung.
Lost in a Roman...wilderness of pain
And all the children are insane
All the children are insane
Waiting for the summer rain, yeah

loosid (Loosid)
Intermediate Member
Username: Loosid

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 03:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa, well. wouldn't that mean that you wouldn't have good success with it otherwise? i don't think i understand, could you elaborate, fitch?
thanks!
loosid
Anything I post is relating strictly to legal, edible mushroom. I have nothing to do with any prohibited substances, plants or mushrooms.

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 05:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heres the deal: cows are ruminates. The reason shrooms grow out of cow pies is that the cows digestive system doesnt kill the spores. Spores are consumed and pass through in the poo, when the dung dries, the spores pop and colonize.

As far as a casing layer, horse dung is fine, can serve the same purpose. Horses digestion will ruin the spores that have been consumed though, so spores will not survive and get passed into the dung, so they dont grow wild.

This is why you can case with horse dung, but not hunt the wilds for shrooms in it.

Yogi (Yogi)
Advanced Member
Username: Yogi

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 04:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horse dung should be the easiest available to anyone in most places because all you need to do is look up a stable in teh yellowpages and call them and ask for some shit for your garden or compost pile. Every stable that I have contacted has been happy to oblige and no one ever thought it was an odd request or asked nosy questions. In the case of cow shit you need to go to the fields and pick it up which involves trespassing in most cases and cows are not grazed in many areas while even big cities such as New York have stables. You could even try the police stable as many cities have mounted cops

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 04:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I was just throwin in my 2 cents to the mushroom hunters out there so they dont waste time running around a horse pasture.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: