Where to get duct fans Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. Where to get duct fans Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

mike c (Treynon21)
Username: Treynon21

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in the process of buildin a little fruiting chamber out of a rubbermaid and I was wondering where I could find a 4 inch duct fan. Went to the local home depot and they said they didnt have any.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 967
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to Grainger.com and do a search for 'duct fan'. You'll get lots of hits.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!" jimi hendrix

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you looking for something similar to computer fans, or am I off base? Not sure what a duct fan is.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 532
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess rodger knows. :-)
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

mike c (Treynon21)
Username: Treynon21

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well im building something similar to http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/3311.ht ml?1004668786

Blodwen_1 (Blodwen_1)
Username: Blodwen_1

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've made many similar contraptions. Do you actually need a duct fan, do you know how loud they are? I would go to grainger website too, I'd look up duct fans...but I'd also do a search on comair and rototron. Remember more power/ CFM does not equal better. This set up would take something minimal if you do the real math.
Also Grainger likes to hasle the public about purchasing from them. If you're the public typically you must show up at the store with the model number, order and pick up the next day.

Post Number: 969
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A duct fan would be way too much air for a setup like that. Perhaps a computer fan would be quieter and a lot cheaper.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!" jimi hendrix

Scott White (Zorchmedia)
Username: Zorchmedia

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Rodger...I love your new cartoon avatar...couldn`t stop myself from messing with it..
Upload

Marx2k (Marx2k)
Intermediate Member
Username: Marx2k

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is my fruiting chamber setup... the duct fan operates for 15 minutes every 6 hours. exactly enough air exchange to provide super duper results :-)

Jater Noslo (Dastats)
Username: Dastats

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 10:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoe depot should have the around the bathroom fans. Its a little inliine 4 inch, about $25 there. Of course, I'm in Canada, but its pretty much the same. I hope it werks, i found it on the home depot web site. www.homedepot.com and search fer this.
Inductor
6 in. In-Line Duct Booster Fan
Model DB206

Peace
Jater

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 7366
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 01:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoe depot should have the...
shop at Hoe Depot often ?

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

Machine (Machine)
Username: Machine

Post Number: 249
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 01:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shop at Hoe Depot often ?

They are cheap but damn all the orange spandex!
"Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world."
-Publilius Syrus

psycho naut (Xochipilli2012)
Username: Xochipilli2012

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 08:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm actually gonna buy a couple 8 in.booster fans from there site.cause they don't carry those in srore.also did a google search on the manufacturer and went to the site to find out the cfm's ( 8in. is 250 cfm).I'm putting dimmer switches on them to regulate noise and power.

The AOC (Angryorangecat)
Username: Angryorangecat

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 09:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@ Machine

jimmy jublanski (Zoomerhead)
Username: Zoomerhead

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 05:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man i wish we had a hoe depot.....the pimps around here charge an arm and a leg!! those chain stores are always cheaper!

Post Number: 999
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 05:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you don't plan on putting a dimmer on an electric motor. You'll burn up the dimmer and the motor. Motor speed in an AC motor is determined by the 60 hz of the electrical current. If you want to control speed of an electrical (AC) motor you need to control the frequency of the current. Some ceiling fan controllers will do this for you, but be sure to match hp and voltage. (a ceiling fan controller looks like a dimmer, but is made differently) Otherwise, you can control flow by restricting the air intake with a baffle of some sort. This will cut down on the amount of air flow, as well as cut down on the current the motor draws, by reducing the 'work' the motor is doing.

psycho naut (Xochipilli2012)
Username: Xochipilli2012

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 07:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn.

thanks roger I never considered that.

a friend suggested the dimmer switch to reduce noise.but I guess he didn't really know.

It would have sucked to have to buy the fans again because of my ignorence.

I should really learn more about electrical work instead of just figuring things would work.

will definitely use the ceiling fan controller instead.

again thanks for the info.

Machine (Machine)

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 07:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roger, could you also limit the blowers output by adding a series resistor?
-Publilius Syrus

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 09:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A series resistor would not change the speed of an AC motor. That would only work on a DC motor like in the HO cars you played with on a track as a kid. The hand controller was a variable rheostat.(resistor)

Be sure to match the HP rating of the ceiling fan controller to the nameplate rating of your fan motor. Most ceiling fans are very low hp, and a blower is likely to be 1/8 hp or greater. The controller can be rated higher than your motor, just not lower.

Machine (Machine)

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found ceiling fan controls, but they say nothing about hp. According to a book I'm reading the correct amperage for a 1/3 hp motor is 7 amps. The highest rated control they had was 5 amps. Will this one not work?
-Publilius Syrus

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that's the best you can find, I'd say give it a try. If you run it at low speed, the amperage will be very low, and that controller will be fine. If you run it at max speed, the controller isn't even working, but feeding the AC current straight through, and it will also be fine. I'd think the only problem might be if you try to run it at 3/4 speed to 7/8 speed, where the amperage draw would exceed the controller rating. Try to avoid that range and give it a try. How expensive is that unit (controller) if it burns up during your testing?

Machine (Machine)

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The motor is powerful enough that I will never need half what it will put out. So max speed would probably shoot the HEPA across the room. The unit was 10 dollars..don't mind risking it..just don't want to screw up the blower.
-Publilius Syrus

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should work then. Just bear in mind that a motor draws more current (amps) the more work it does, regardless of speed. A hepa filter has a lot of restriction, therefore the motor actually does less work. (moves less cfm of air) I would still avoid the upper 2/3 of the motor controller position.

Machine (Machine)

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 11:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a 8.3 Amp motor speed control that is for motors up to 1.25 hp. Best part is the guy said I could take it home for free and see if it works.

I'm a little nervous about wiring this blower up though. It has four wires, black, white, red, and blue. I read that the single phase motor has four wires because they can operate at 120 or 240 volt depending on how you wire it. I was under the impression all I needed was the white and black wires until I encountered this. What am I suppose to do with these other two wires? It looks like they weren't even used in the blowers previous application.
-Publilius Syrus

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 11:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a multi-speed blower. I'd say three speed. Can you take a pic of the data tag, or at least write down what is in every box? My guess is it's a 115v motor, with white as the 'common' (neutral) and black, red, and blue as the low, med, and high speeds. Give me the data tag info from the motor and I can tell you for sure.

Machine (Machine)

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally figured out I had to take the motor out to look at the name plate. Here's a snap shot. Looks like your right as it says 3spd. Thanks for the help btw.

nameplate

(Message edited by machine on October 29, 2003)
-Publilius Syrus

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, I've hooked up a million of those buggers. Connect the white from your power cord to the white wire on the motor. Connect the 'hot' wire on your cord (usually black) to whatever color wire for the speed you want. Be sure to insulate the ends of the unused wires. Connect the green(ground) to the chassis of the motor.

Machine (Machine)

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thanks a lot for your help Roger.

(Message edited by machine on October 29, 2003)
-Publilius Syrus

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: