Abrasive blast cabinet = serious glov... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. » Abrasive blast cabinet = serious glovebox « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Moose (Thidwick)
Username: Thidwick

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 02:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A benchtop "bead blaster" cabinet looks like it could become a killer glove box, with a few mods, for those not on a budget. These can range from $60 to $100 new. I wouldn't try a used one due to the grit/dust which will be inside the cabinet.

Anyone done this yet? I'm tempted.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem. taf?itemnumber=42202

Joe Millionaire (Rotterdam_y2k)
Username: Rotterdam_y2k

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 02:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to hear some opinions on it as well. My girlfriend could be interested.

The biggest problem she's had with making a glovebox is getting the freakin gloves to fit right.
"Ekam Sat Vipras Bahudda Vidante"
The One Truth is named by the wise in many ways.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 7393
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 03:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a pretty good price, imo.
don't recall any ever using one but i would think it could be adapted.
archive material to supply sources.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

Pskovinsky (Pskov)
Username: Pskov

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 03:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have one of those at the auto repair shop i work at, it'd make a fantastic glovebox, it's already sealed and already has a large fan on it (though the fan sucks air out rather then blowing it in, i bet that could be changed) for a hepa pressureized glovebox kind of thing.

The other thing it has is a screen bottem, which would help things dry faster after being sprayed with whatever, and has a lot less surface area for contams to hide on...

I don't have that kind of cash unfortunetly :P

EDIT:
That one doesn't look like it has a fan on it. The one we have at my shop is a SNAP-ON one, and probably costs 4x as much, because it's snap-on :P

(Message edited by pskov on October 27, 2003)

Machine (Machine)
Username: Machine

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 04:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking about this not too long ago. Check some hardware stores like auto-zone. They had one for little cheaper than that and you wouldn't have to pay shipping.
"Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world."
-Publilius Syrus

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 05:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you'd want to use it without any air source. Just plug it up, so the air can be cleaned inside, and remain very still during your work. Of course, you'd have better luck with a laminar flow hood, but at considerably higher cost.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!" jimi hendrix

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 558
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 04:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like it would work very well. Maybe try to find one that is a little shorter and fatter if they make em like that. Then you will have more working area.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

ZAPa (Zap)
Username: Zap

Post Number: 425
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 04:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just found this link:
http://www.midsouthvw.com/TechTips/tech_tip_Sndbla st.htm

"Don’t Laugh, Cardboard Box Sandblasting Cabinet"

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: