Mycobag has a bit of water pooling at... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Mycobag has a bit of water pooling at bottom Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Mike Shrooms (Wannabeshroom)
Username: Wannabeshroom

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 03:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been trying to colonize a grain based mycobag with B+ for a month and a half now. Finally a week ago I saw mycelium grow and since then it has taken off. It is now 85% colonized with what seems like healthy mycelium (I see the strands looking for new areas to colonize) The only area left to be fully colonized is the bottom of the bag, and after I inspected it I have noticed a little bit of water pooling at the bottom. Not an extreme amount, but just enough to recognize that there is some water down there. The bag also seems to be stalling a little bit.

What should I do? Is this something to really worry about? All the mycelium that has grown so far seems to be extremely healthy. I was thinking of taking an empty syringe, sterilizing the tip via flame, and trying to suck it out and then taping the bag shut. Any ideas?

brainbreath (Newbie3)
Username: Newbie3

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 08:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like your bag is doomed- what you are describing is usually a sign of bacterial contamination.
You could try birthing it and remove the uncolonized portion, then give it a bleach dip/dunk followed by another bleach dip... It may not help, but it's worth a try.

Soliver (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 388
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 09:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoah there brainbreath - it ain't over till the green lady sings,
and even then there can be hope....

I've had invitro jars do the exact same thing;
it's quite common sometimes, although it usually
occurs (IME) after full-colonization. Wait until you get some
more expert opinions, but whatever you do, don't give up!
In the past, I've had success draining off the water
as you have mentioned as well as just leaving it as is.

If it's stalling, you should probably turn it upside down. What's really important is what you plan on
doing with it once it's colonized.
If you're gonna fruit in the bag, I'd drain it,
but if you're gonna crumble and case, I'd just let it sit a few more days,
take it out, cut off the uncolonized part, then
crumble and case per usual.

This is certainly not an end-of-the world scenario by
any stretch.

When all else fails, I tend to flip and wait.
Don't get impatient and do anything rash that will fuck up your
months of hard waiting - you're too close!

sol

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 7516
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 09:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a trick to getting fast colonization in these bags in to break it up good by kneading thru the un-opened bag to mix it all around, thus helping the mycellia spred to uncolonized portions faster.
is the bag equiped with a filter patch or vent of some kind ?
any foul odor ?
if not, you might try as i mentioned to help it finish and mix up the excess water with drier substrate, hopefully it will be absorbed.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

micro (Micro)
Username: Micro

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 09:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have them on a heating pad? My roomate had the temp. up too high (the bulb of the thermometer wasn't sitting on the heating pad, so the bottom of the bags were a lot hotter than he thought) and the mycelium at the bottom died in it's own waste.

--
Micro

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 06:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the responses. Yes the bag is equipped with a filter patch. And upon close inspection I see the mycelium beginning to grow again. I would say it is now 90% colonized. I will fruit inside of the bag.

Hip being that it is 90% colonized, do you think I should still knead it to finish up the last 5-10%?

micro (Micro)
Username: Micro

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 09:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't really need to if you're going to fruit inside the bag. You probably should a bit, though -- if you give it a rougher surface it will grow more mushrooms. Break it up into large chunks, though -- not small ones, and leave it that way to fruit.

--
Micro

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 09:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At what point is it safe to take this bag out of the dark and introduce it to light.. I would say it is 95% colonized now. Can I do this now and anticipate the other 5% colonizing within the next few days?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 7523
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 01:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no,
let if finish before opening bag.
but you can begin light even now whilw still inside the bag.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

2beanklm (Rugrat235)
Username: Rugrat235

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 02:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i did my bags i gave them light from the start just like growing invitro. it worked well for me.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: