Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Contams. Help ! Bugs! Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Pipe Man (Story_teller)
Username: Story_teller

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

several of my dying brf cakes are homes for bugs. smaller than gnats and no wings. these cakes have no shrooms when bugs are present. the other cakes exhibit no signs of bugs, at least not yet. i've been growing for a bit now, 3 yrs., and have not seen this before.

ladies and gentlemen of the jury...what do ya think? this has me worried to say the least.

story

Pipe Man (Story_teller)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay.... i re-checked. bugs on all cakes, exspecailly the ones with healthy shrooms. luckily i'm low in my cycle. i lost one cake that had 10 healthy pins. it was the worse infested. they don't seem to be inside the cakes, just the outside and foil.

i'm cleaning the aquirum now.

i forgot some important details. 10 gal. perlite on bottom, cakes on aluminum foil (so they don't grow into the perlite)

something that i haven't done before: instead of changing the perlite i've been turkey basting the excess water out. yesterday or maybe the day before i first noticed the bugs. i've just thrown them all away. better safe than sorry when you don't know what your dealing with. i use perioxide in my spray.

well, folks there it is. what do ya think?

story

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 01:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those yellow sticky mats work well. Bugs are attracted to them.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!" jimi hendrix

Moose (Thidwick)
Username: Thidwick

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 01:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that bugs will make any fruiting dangerous to consume. Worst case, they may reduce the crop, but it's not like a contam with potential toxins.

Maybe someone w/more experience will chime in.

Moose (Thidwick)
Username: Thidwick

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 03:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoops, should have read more carefully. I didn't realize that they were suppressing your growth as badly as they are.

I would bet they're larval fungus gnats. I don't have any myco experience yet, but my friend encountered these growing another ethnogen. They are a real headache.

look like these?
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2114.html

One filthy adult gnat can lay a bunch of eggs. If the larvae become winged adults which feed/congregate around verm/casing, then I'd bet that's what they are.

My friend removed all growing ethnogens, and the adult gnats still hung out in the general area for a few days, eventually starving and dying. My suggestion would be to cleanse the infected boxes/chambers very thoroughly, and wait for the life-cycle to cease before trying fresh cakes/casings. Or, you can perhaps move the fresh new setup to a different area, as the adults, I think, basically hide in crevices and shelves in the room, and if they smell the environment they like, they'll come winging out to reinfest your fresh efforts.

Obviously, spraying w/insecticide, unless the room is cleared of your setup, won't be an option.

HTH Moose

Pipe Man (Story_teller)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 03:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man....
i wish i'd wanted to read the responses...

they are in the casing areas bad. sucks too, cause i double end.

but live and learn.

thanks

story

"feed your head...!!!" (Shamanshroom)
Username: Shamanshroom

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 03:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm, never had bugs before. what steps are you taking for sterilization? they should die if you pressure cook 'em. maybe they're getting in from somewhere in your grow area, where and how are they being stored for incubation? either way, i'd try and locate the source, and eliminate them, then clean your work area and grow area from top to bottom, before trying another batch. keep us posted, i'd like to find out how those bugs got in there in the first place. great thread.
"...Who you 'tryin to get crazy with essae??? Don't you know I'm Loco???...

Sharkie Jones (Rainbowfungus)
Username: Rainbowfungus

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 03:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think their was eggs in the perlite?

goodNyou (Goodnyou)
Username: Goodnyou

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ive had thease they look ike fruit flys ..they are a really big pain in the ass.but there is an easy fix.spay your bins out with bleach through all cakes out and start again.this tie make sure the bin or turreium is air tight.make sure you have you grow room free of garbage cans,beer cans(especially)food ect.you shoild be fine!

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, gnats are the worst. Especially in straw projrcts. Use some sticky mats, and then when the flush is done, clear all infected things out, and do a thorough cleaning.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

fucgubarn fucgubarnov (Fucgubarn)
Advanced Member
Username: Fucgubarn

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they always come back to me from time to time,
clean clean clean

Joe Millionaire (Rotterdam_y2k)
Username: Rotterdam_y2k

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 11:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I DON'T LIKE SPAM! er... GNATS!
"Ekam Sat Vipras Bahudda Vidante"
The One Truth is named by the wise in many ways.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: